3D Pan Help

Decorating By Melan Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm by allee

Melan Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

I am going to purchase Wilton's 3D Car pan. I have never done a character pan or a 3D pan. Is this something that can be done easily? I can pipe so I'm thinking that is a big plus, but this is my first experience with this type of pan. It's for my son, for this weekend. Should I crumb coat first?

Also, I bought Wilton's Black Decorating Icing that is in the tube. I will need it just for a few accents on the car. Does this icing crust? Or will it bleed onto buttercream? The car will be green for the most part, black wheels/windows.

I'll appreciate any help!

4 replies
sadiepix Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:24am
post #3 of 5

I did an airplane recently and it was a dream to make. Easy to pipe along the outline or add details as I liked.

I used a moist cake, and did not have to crumb coat it as it came out with a firm 'skin' on the outside and I was afraid of tearing it in the crevices.

It made doing a 3D cake a really fun experience. It was my first time using a character pan too. Loved it.

Melan Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 5

good, thanks for the help.

I'd still like to know if anyone has used that premade Wilton Black icing in the tube.

allee Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 5

I keep several tubes of Wilton's black and red on hand for small projects. It will crust and I haven't had it bleed into/onto my buttercream so far. And actually, it doesn't taste all that bad. I just can't seem to make a really black or red icing, so I keep them "just in case". HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%