Help! Will Moisture Ruin My Fondant?

Decorating By sarahlr Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:46am by kimmypooh79

sarahlr Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #1 of 2

So yesterday I carved and iced what will be a pirate ship cake. I put it in the fridge overnight and took it out today. I covered it with fondant strips to look like wood. The entire thing is now covered and I am noticing that the BC underneath is sweating. You can see the moisture between the strips at the top, flat part of the cake. The strips shifted slightly so you can see the moisture between them. Is this going to make my cake fall apart overnight? This cake is due on Saturday. Please help!

1 reply
kimmypooh79 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #2 of 2

I have had the same problem with cakes sweating after being in the fridge, luckily for me it was not a cake that was made for public viewing. When you take any cake that has been iced with buttercream and/or fondant it will sweat as it reaches room temperature. Fondant will get sticky, slimy, and sometimes loose it's form. I have heard that if you do not touch the fondant it will absorb the moisture and most likely be okay. But, that depends on how much it has sweat already and how saggy it has gotten. It may dry completely, not at all, or mostly with some moist spots. Even with buttercream/royal icing the colors bleed sometimes when it sweats. In the future my advice would be to let your cake get to room temperature before you ice/fondant it or, if you can, don't refrigerate it and just leave it in a cool, dry room in a covered cake box .
But, don't cover your cake with plastic as it can smash some decorations. If you use a buttercream that contains butter or milk it should be okay for 1-2 days in a cool, dry room. If you plan to store it any longer than 3 days then it needs to be refridgerated or frozen. I store my cakes in my laundry room that is 6x6 with an air vent so it stays really cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%