Fat Daddio's Comma Vs. Wilton Paisleys...

Decorating By DoniB Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:38pm by HerBoudoir

DoniB Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 9

I recently bought a Fat Daddio's rectangular pan, and I LOVE IT. icon_razz.gif So today, when I was bouncing through AC Moore's cake aisle, my 40% off coupon burning a hole... he reached down and picked up the paisley pans set. then he got all thoughtful and stuff. (I know... RUN!!!! Argh! A man's thinking!!!!) He looked at the pan set, looked at my coupon, then sighed and said, "Wouldn't you much rather get a GOOD set, instead?" As I stood there with my mouth hanging open and two other women blinking in astonishment, he went on. "I mean, you're just going to replace these with the Fat Daddio's in a year, anyhow, when we get your kitchen built and you're doing this for money, right? So why not just get the good ones now, and that will be one less step, plus any practice cakes will be with the best equipment we can get, so that will help you, too. Right?"

So yeah... left without using my coupon (which is really silly, because I needed some vanilla, but he blew my mind by offering to spend a lot more money, so I completely forgot! LOL), but we came home and he started looking up the alternatives. icon_razz.gif

I know that the Wilton ones have the slightly rounded edges. Do the Fat Daddio's have sharper edges, or no? They look sharper in the pictures, but are they sharp-sharp, or just less rounded than the Wilton?

Basically, who's used both, or who's got which ones, and do you love 'em, hate 'em? Thoughts? Advice? Rants?

Any and all advice welcome. icon_razz.gif

Sorry so long...

8 replies
Denise Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 9

I have the Wilton. Right after I bought them I found out about the Fat Daddio's. I would rather have Fat Daddio's.

I do not like the slant of the sides of the cake! When you stack them together it is no where near even and that makes me nuts.

DoniB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

ooohhh... that's a good question for anyone who has the Fat Daddio's... do the sides slant??? icon_razz.gif I HATE that about the wilton stuff. icon_razz.gif

Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:40am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

ooohhh... that's a good question for anyone who has the 's... do the sides slant??? icon_razz.gif I HATE that about the wilton stuff. icon_razz.gif

I'll answer if a man can speak. icon_biggrin.gif LOLOL. I found that the Wilton pans are good for making Veal Parmagian for two in. The FD's are straight sided. So are the Magic Line.

Mike

DoniB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:10am
post #5 of 9

LOL Of course a man can speak! icon_smile.gif (Sorry if I offended any with my post... I forget how many wonderful guys we have on here!) It's just that when my hubby starts thinking, I'm in trouble *grin*

The straight sides thing is what I'm going for. I'm so tired of having to either carve the sides so they're straight, or fix the layers so that it works. Ugh. icon_razz.gif Yet another reason to just buy the good stuff from the start, huh?

Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:42am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

LOL Of course a man can speak! icon_smile.gif (Sorry if I offended any with my post... I forget how many wonderful guys we have on here!) It's just that when my hubby starts thinking, I'm in trouble *grin*

The straight sides thing is what I'm going for. I'm so tired of having to either carve the sides so they're straight, or fix the layers so that it works. Ugh. icon_razz.gif Yet another reason to just buy the good stuff from the start, huh?

I never get offended, alls good icon_biggrin.gif. Go with either FD, or ML. I will stick to the ML for square pans though. Corners are tighter it just seems like a better pan to me.

Mike

DoniB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:46am
post #7 of 9

I'm not sure I've ever had the chance to use or see a Magic Line pan, but the local cake shop carries Fat Daddio's, and the rectangle one I got made very nice, sharp corners and edges. Well, sharp compared to Wilton! LOL

That's not saying much, though... icon_razz.gif I'll have to see about getting a ML to compare.

Petit-four Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 9

For the squares -- the Wilton is rounded, the FD are somewhat rounded, and the ML is perfectly sharp/90 degrees. I've compared all three in the square shapes.

I won't say anymore. tapedshut.gif

thumbs_up.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 9

Unfortunately Magic Line only make round, square, and rectangle - you have to go with Fat Daddio's for other shapes.

Don't bother much with the Wilton pans - you're right - if you buy them now, you'll replace them with something better in the future.

The only Wilton pans I ever use are the ovals that I got in Course II, and a swt of 9 inch non-stick that I use for single-layer tortes rather than stacked cakes (think flourless chocolate cakes, flat coffee cakes, upside-down cakes, etc).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%