Refrigerating Cake Covered In Fondant

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 4

I know that fondant-covered cakes can sweat once they are removed from the fridge so that is why refrigerating them is not recommended. If I understand this correctly, it is mainly because as the fondant sweats any decorations can fall off.

However, you cover the cake in fondant and refrigerate it and then when you are ready to decorate it, remove it from the fridge and bring it to room temperature and then decorate or will you still run into problems this way? I'm so confused about fillings and refrigeration requirements. I don't particularly like buttercreams made out of shortening, so I prefer to use Swiss Meringue or fruit fillings or curds but I know these need refrigeration. So I wonder about putting these perishable fillings in a cake and then decorating it and it sits out at room temperature for up to 24 hours or so. Makes a little nervous.

3 replies
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 4

I keep ll my cakes refrigerated. Even with fondant and fully decorated. I've never had issues with anything falling off or anything like that. At the shop I intern at we even instruct people who are picking up to keep their cakes refrigerated until the morning of the event (sometimes they pick up a day early for their own convenience)

Chef_Stef Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #3 of 4

If you look in my pics, every single fondant cake in there has been in the fridge, fully finished, decorated, painted, whatever, OVERNIGHT from the day of decorating until the minute it goes in the car for delivery, and every one has been fine. Most have IMBC under the fondant...(which, yes, you never want to leave out at room temp for 24 hours, or at least I never would).

I've never had a single problem with fridge and fondant, ever.

tootie0809 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the info! I working on a Marshmallow Fondant cake right now, so I am going to put it in the fridge and see how it does. It's my first time working with MMF, so it's not exactly spectacular, but I'm experimenting with it. It makes me feel much better to be able to refrigerate the cake until it's ready to be served. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%