Faux Fondant Tips Please?

Decorating By NikkiDoc Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm by mc

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I've never used faux fondant. I want to try it on my daughter's upcoming birthday cake. Are there any tips out there that a newbie might find useful? Do you need a layer of regular or thinned buttercream underneath as a crumbcoat or could you just thin some of the faux fondant? (I was looking at the recipes I and II posted on this site). TIA

4 replies
ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 5

Well, I've never used those recipes, but would recommend this one from the recipe section: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-15-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

Though it says it's perfect for transfers, it's also perfect for most cakes and tastes wonderful--thanks to the butter! I do add 2-3 T. corn syrup and 1 t. almond extract...and I DON"T sift 5 times...yikes...MAYBE once. Anyway, it crusts real quick and then I just use the Melvira method (search for that in the articles/forums if you need more info) and have had many comments about how much it looks like fondant.

IMO all crisco frosting is gross any way you slice it.

HTH

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks ladybug03. I've tried the FBCT recipe. It is very good. I will try that on the cake. I like that idea better than the all-shortening recipes. I agree about the all crisco BC. I hate the greasy mouthfeel of it and it is lacking in flavor that real butter lends. However, lately the extra sweetness from the butter has been getting me. Maybe my tastes are off...or changing...hmm...

How do you get the best of both worlds? Flavor from butter without the extra sweetness? Is there something that can be added to counteract it?

My cousin got married earlier this month. The cake was made by someone the groom's family knew. The icing contained no butter, but yet did not have the greasiness of all shortening BC. It was actually the best all-shortening BC I've ever tasted, but was still missing something (butter!). The cake itself was very good though, and that probably helped out that icing! (Almond flavored pound cake-really popular for weddings in my area of NC.)

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

at superstore (i am in canada) you can buy bricks of white margarine (and maybe this has alrready been discussed, in which case- sorry) and i always use 1/4 of the shortenting from what a shortening recipe calls for, and then the rest in the white margarine. not only with the clear extracts does it make a beautifully white icing, but the flavor iin my opinion, is awesome. i like it wayyy better than smbc.

mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mc Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Buttercream_Dreams,
I am also in Canada and have access to Superstore. What brand margarine do you buy? This might be a bit off the topic, but I am making a wedding cake in August and there will be no AC in the hall, so I am a bit worried about using real butter. But I do not like all crisco icing. I have tried to find hi-ratio shortening, with no luck in my area. I did find a baker's margarine and it tastes very close to butter. It is made by Canola Harvest. Anyone knows about such a product? I would think that margarine will do better in the heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%