I have a few questions about a wedding cake that I was asked to make.
1. Can you stencil on buttercream?
2. What company makes the best red coloring ? I always seem to have problems with black and red.
3. If the cake needs to be white , should I start with an ivory color to obtain the correcdt red shade?
Thanks in advance and Happy Baking
Personally, I like Wilton no-taste red. If you want a dark red, and if you can, try to use a good chocolate frosting first, and then add the red. Otherwise, just plan on mixing, mixing, mixing to get the right shade. I would also suggest making extra frosting, because it is really hard to match thre reds when you have make another batch.
good luck, hth
1. Yes you can stencil on BC
2. I prefer Amerigel, but have used Wilton also w/success
3. You can start w/white icing if you want, I usually do. Remeber that red frosting will deepen in color as it sits, so try and always make it ahead. It takes ALOT of coloring to achieve red (and black) frosing. If I need a pretty lg amt of red frosting I usually use a combination of Amerigel and Wilton( no taste red).
Yes you can stencil on buttercream but it has to be well crusted. In sugarshack's Successful Stacking DVD she has a demo of stenciling.