Wilton Pans Causing Too Much Browning?

Decorating By tuffstuff Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm by mcdonald

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 8

I hope someone can help me with this: Lately I've been baking a 12" square and 10" round at the same time in my oven.
The setup: oven at 325, "super enchanced" cake recipe from CC, 12" square is a magic line pan, 10" round is wilton. 12" is on the lower rack, 10" is on the upper. One flower nail in each pan.
The 12" square bakes perfectly. Meanwhile I'm having probs with the 10" - it's browning too much on the outside before it cooks all the way.
Is the problem that wilton sucks? Because I don't get why the magic line pan bakes a bigger cake perfectly! icon_confused.gif
Ugh... and I had just bought 2 of these 10" wilton pans before I knew any better. Well, actually I've never had any problems with smaller wilton pans. Should I just buy a 10" round magic line?
Right now I just put these into the oven with 2 flower nails in the 10" in hopes that it might make a difference.

7 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

yep, it is the pans.

magic line all the way for me

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 8

I use both magic line and wilton. I don't really have a problem with what you describe. I also bake at 325 (makes a better cake) and I have never put a nail in a 10". I bake it as normal. But.. I also don't put those two size cakes in the oven at the same time either. I wonder if that could have something to do with it?? I might be stupid here to say that but... the times I put two pans in the oven at the same time are when they are the same size. Could one be pulling more heat than the other?? I know... it is probably stupid!!!

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 8

I agree that you should cook at 325. I thought it was strange until I tried it. Also, Bake the smaller cake on the lower rack. I don't think it's your pan. I've got lots of both brands and don't have that problem.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 8

Seriously, I've tried Wilton's and Fat Daddio's (noone sells Magic Line here and I won't pay shipping). Honestly, I can't tell a difference between the 2. I do use baking strips to help even the cooking temperature though.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that you should cook at 325. I thought it was strange until I tried it. Also, Bake the smaller cake on the lower rack. I don't think it's your pan. I've got lots of both brands and don't have that problem.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif Here's an update:
Well, curiously, with this last batch, the wilton one actually under-browned on the sides and bottom (doesn't seem to be a bad thing though).
What I did differently was:
-double flower nail as mentioned
-bake-even strips.
-I switched rack position the last 1/3 or so of the way
-put oven on about 310

Don't know which did the trick but I'm satisfied so I'll keep doing it.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 8

wonderful!! glad it worked out for you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%