I Want To Learn

Decorating By Dwonders Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 6:50am by CakeWhizz

Dwonders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dwonders Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 13

Hello every one im new here my name is Donna and i love making and decorating cakes i would like to learn more i dont really know where to begin....can sOMe one help me icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 13

you can start by taking a class at your local "Michaels" or "HobbyLobby" when i started i took those classes and they helped tremendously....and once you learn tricks and techniques....its just practice practice practice and don't be scared to expirement!!!!! good luck...hope this helps you!!!!!!!!

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 13

Stay Tuned - this site is a wealth of information. Welcome!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 13

What is it you want to learn? There are many videos, classes, tutorials, etc. but we need to know what yu are looking for.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 13

Welcome Donna. There is so much to learn here. I'm not sure what you know, or what you feel you need to learn. The articles section is a good place to start. There are many how-to's there. Good luck. If you run into problems or have questions there seems to be someone on here who's "been there, done that " and can offer assistance. Happy surfing!

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 13

First of all welcome. As for where to begin. When I joined the site it was overwhelming. I had just finished my Wilton I class. If I were you start with one thing you want to learn like the rose and go to the search for instructions. Just remember one thing at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.
Good Luck and you'll LOVE IT HERE!!!

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 13

Books, books and more books and this forum...........that's how I learned.
Search the internet for cake decorating tutorials too. If you see a cake you like on this forum, pm the cake decorator to asked for advice on how to make the cake. Everyone is really nice on here and generous with their cake decorating tips.

Good luck.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif My name is Margie, I'm a Newbie Myself, U know I've learned looking at Video's & asking question. For me, I think this the best place to learn & ask. I've had met Good people that has helped me alot. You can see my 3 Cakes that I have posted in miasuzzette. Feel free to make any Positive or negitive comments. I'm open & I learned from my mistakes. This place it's so additive too. So, Welcome & Enjoy! It's Fun. From Ct

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 13

Hi Donna,
Welcome to CC! In my humble opinion, the best way to learn is to take classes, buy books and most importantly BE CONFIDENT. Do not be scared to try new things, experiment and call on other CCErs for help when you need it. I can't remember which CCer said this, but it's not how good you are at decorating, it's how well you can cover up your mistakes! So enjoy your cake decorating journey!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 13

Welcome, welcome, welcome Donna!!! As you'll see, this is a great place for everything you want to know about cakes. Here at CC, we talk, we vent, we argue, we learn and we cry icon_cry.gif . You'll find links to videos by CC'ers and others and you'll also find links to buy your products. Start with the local Wilton classes, you'll learn alot.
There are great people here with awesome talent, you'll luv it!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 13

WELCOME!!!

I'm new too( I joined a few days ago)

The way I learned was watching people do it on youtube and just following what they do...I'm starting classes on July 8th at Michael's and I know that will help a bunch..

I wanted to be self taught but it will be better to learn the right techniques and helpful tips from instructors as well.

Good Luck!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #12 of 13

Welcome to a new addiction!!!
My best suggestion to everyone is to buy the Sugar Ed Production dvds. www.sugaredproductions.com ....Sharon is a member here, and is very very helpful if you will search for her posts. There are previews of the dvds on the site also!
Good luck and happy caking!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:50am
post #13 of 13

I can also testify to Sugarshack's (Sharon Zambito)DVDs. They are awesome! She has distilled over 20 years experience into her DVDs and they also contain bonus bits which are very useful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%