What Cake(S) Are You Working On Today?

Decorating By bambuf Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm by bambuf

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 97

I am taking a break from working on a Star Wars cake...nothing fancy. But working on it, I got to wondering what everyone else was working on today. icon_smile.gif

96 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 97

Well, tonight I've got to back cakes for a wedding cake on Saturday. I'm pretty excited. the couple is super nice.

but so it's a 14/10/8 stacked and then a 6" on pillars. I'm also doing the 1/4" sheet in the shape of a Spurs jersey for the groom's cake.

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 97

Wow! Sounds like you will be super busy! Even though I am crazy enough to teach Wilton classes, I still haven't accepted the challenge for a wedding cake as of yet. I am so afraid of messing up someone's special day! icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 97

see, I don't know if I am right or wrong in my mentality on wedding cakes, but I view them as just 'bigger cakes'. Yeah, they should be as smooth and clean as you can get, but the more you stress about the worse it'll come out.

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 97

That is a great attitude to have about it. I think once I actually do my first wedding cake, I will have more confidence in them. I did a wedding shower cake a few weeks back that was an "after the wedding" shower cake...and the bride had not actually had a wedding cake, so the lady wanted the shower cake to emulate one. I was so nervous about that one. It was not as pretty as I would have liked, but I also prefer to work with fondant instead of all buttercream. It turned out fine, though, I think.

ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 97

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. My first 'big' cake was for a quinceanera for 300ppl!
Luckily, I just thought to myself, one at a time, one at a time....

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 97

Wow! The largest order I have done was for 150 people...all sheet cakes... I think I fuss over the cake too much.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 97

Well I'm just starting out but I will be making my third and fourth cakes today. They are for my brother's girlfriend's birthday party this weekend and she doesn't know that I'm making them.

They are going to be frankenstein and his bride....(I'm pretty sure everyone has done these before but it's my first time so I'm excited!) party.gif

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 97

Oh how fun, Sweet Pea! I would love to have an excuse to do a few characters like those. Most people ask me for sheet cakes...aaargh...

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 97

I'm just finishing up 40 sets of Martha Stewart-style stacked cookie "wedding cake" favors. I've been working on these blasted things for four days and gave the bride a huge discount since she ordered THREE wedding cakes (biggies) and spent over $1k on them. I'm still kicking myself over the too-generous discount, but it's too late now.

Lesson learned... LOL

Deanna

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 97

wow! That really is wonderful of you. I bet they are gorgeous! icon_smile.gif When you are finished with them, sit back, take a nip of your favorite libation and pat yourself on the back to remind yourself how amazing you really are! icon_smile.gif

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #12 of 97

My timer just went off...hold please...OK last cakes out of pans. I threw my back out this morning and couldn't go to work, also can't sit without pain, or basically do anything except stand up. So... I have made 8 cakes today, easy microwave lemon curd (thanks to whomever posted that recipe...it's very tasty and easy to make) 1 recipe of IMBC lemon flavored, one to go, and tonite I will try to get them all torted and crumb coated so I can try my first stacked wedding cake tomorrow, right after I go to the chiropractor again. Have my husband stopping at the lumber yard on his way home from work to get me some dowels. Cr**p my back hurts. Gotta stand up now. icon_cry.gif

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 97

mary!!! You poor thing! If I were there, I would come lend a hand. I am actually done with all of my cakes for the week. Woo hoo! Hope your back gets to feeling better soon!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 97

I just finished one for my mom's friend that is getting her citizenship on fri. Now I have a 3D frog for a little one's first bday with cupcakes to go around it that are all lilypads with water lillies on them. Then I have my own daughter's tinkerbell birthday cake for sun. Super excited about the frog one though! icon_razz.gif I've been looking forward to this one!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 97

It's a good cake weekend for me ... and no caterings, so it works out ok.

3 weddings (3 tier; 3 tier; 4 tier). a 2-tier birthday. A 24x18 sheet cake for four women who are celebrating their 40th birthdays in Chicago!

The good part is they are all just drop-offs, and 2 of the weddings are on Saturday ... all others are due Friday, so that helps to have them split up a little.

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 97

wow debi...that makes me tired just to think of it! Of course, I know that you will breeze right through it like it was nothing! icon_wink.gif

Michelle, the frog cakes sounds like so much fun! I do hope you will post pictures when you are finished...I would love to see how it turned out! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:12pm
post #17 of 97

It helps having double ovens, so I can put something like 16 pans in the oven all at one time! icon_redface.gif

Michelle104 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:15pm
post #18 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's a good cake weekend for me ... and no caterings, so it works out ok.

3 weddings (3 tier; 3 tier; 4 tier). a 2-tier birthday. A 24x18 sheet cake for four women who are celebrating their 40th birthdays in Chicago!

The good part is they are all just drop-offs, and 2 of the weddings are on Saturday ... all others are due Friday, so that helps to have them split up a little.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Someday in my dreams.......... icon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

see, I don't know if I am right or wrong in my mentality on wedding cakes, but I view them as just 'bigger cakes'. Yeah, they should be as smooth and clean as you can get, but the more you stress about the worse it'll come out.

Me too. They are just tall cakes. I have to admit I like birthday cakes better-they are more fun!

I am doing a 3 tiered wedding cake this weekend, and 2 tiered barnyard cake with 8 fondant figures.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 97

I am totally free this weekend!! No cake jobs for me, and I am relieved, this will be my first weekend off in over 3 months! Annnnd I am booked to the max for the next 6 weeks solid.

I have a huuuuuge cupcake order (150) for the Fourth of July weekend.

The weekend after that I have a wooden bucket filled with real ice and real beer. (I didnt schedule ANTYHING else for that weekend, I am expecting difficulties. icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif )

Then after that I have 2 baby showers, one wedding shower, and my own daughters birthday, who wants a princess castle <-----------> 'this tall mommy!' Which means 2-3 tier likely. And so on and so forth into the merry month of August.

Michelle104 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 97

Oooohhh! icon_smile.gif I can't wait to see the barnyard cake!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #22 of 97

Is anybody actually decorating today?

I'm doing all my buttercream, fondant and fillings...

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #23 of 97

I only have one cake due this weekend. It's a large sheet cake for local church. It's a pool party theme with 3d figures, pool floats, diving board etc.

I'll end up spending more time on the fondant figures than the actual decorating part.

At least it will be a fun cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #24 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Is anybody actually decorating today?

I'm doing all my buttercream, fondant and fillings...

I'm just doing fondant figures and cake boards today.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #25 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I am totally free this weekend!! No cake jobs for me, and I am relieved, this will be my first weekend off in over 3 months!

That's me next weekend! Nothing! Woooo-Whoooo!!! A holiday weekend AND no cakes! I can't remember the last time I had that combination!

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #26 of 97

Well, I am not in the business, but I still have 2 cakes to do ... one baby shower cake for my ex-husband's new wife's daughter, icon_surprised.gif and a birthday cake with a landscaping theme for my step-son. (No clue what I am doing for that one!) Last night I did the gumpaste stuff. Tonight I am baking and making buttercream. Decorating tomorrow.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #27 of 97

I'm doing a Tiki cake for a Luau, and gonna make the eyes light up wit battery LED lights

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #28 of 97

Well, I'm swamped!!! (Not as much as indydebi, but I feel like it right now!) I just finished a sheet cake for my husband's toastmaster club, a small birthday cake for my friend, and now I'm working on a 3-tier Nemo cake, then a 2-tier luau cake, then 60 cupcakes. Plus, I have an appointment all tomorrow afternoon, so I lose that time....I'll be glad when Saturday is over!! I love it, though....wouldn't want it any other way!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #29 of 97

Tonight I am doing a gumpaste shoe that will be part of a bridal shower cake for Sat. This is my 1st bridal shower cake! It's for a "diva", so the cake will have the shoe and chocolate makeup accessories around the board.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #30 of 97

I am about to begin a pool cake that matches our clubhouse here at my neighborhood. My neighbor ordered it for her daughter who is turning 4.
It's a 1/2 sheet cake with the pool and kiddy pool with mushroom. I'm making some fondant accents like floats, towels, beach ball, sunglasses, lotion bottle and flipflops.
It's due Saturday so I'll be busy starting tomorrow.
Fun, fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%