Beginner Class Question

Decorating By LindaB41171 Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm by kimmypooh79

LindaB41171 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 15

I was thinking about taking the Wilton class course 1 at my local Hobby Lobby. Could someone tell me what is needed, as I already have a lot of tips. I didn't know if you have to buy anything else. My budget is very tight, and it is a big deal to take the class. I don't know if I'm better off learning on my own. Thanks!

14 replies
ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 15

I loved taking the classes. It helped me refine my skills, learn the basics, learn new things, and gave me a chance to do something just for me.

As for was what you need. they have a kit and w/the purchase of class they'll give you a book. If you also have a lot of the tips, check out the kit and see what is in there that you have and what you don't have.

The kit does include the basics and with a 40% off coupon it shouldn't be too bad. Or even look on ebay.

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 15

Hey there! If you will PM me, I will send you the list that I give each of my students on the first night of class of the supplies that they will need and what are optional. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 15

Tips you will need are 3, 12, 16, 21, 67, 104 and 2D.

There are alot of things you may want to have, but I think as long as you have bags, tips, couplers, icing colors and the practice board you will be okay.

nancylynwallace Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 15

Unfortunately, the first Wilton class is the most expensive of the classes as far as buying stuff, unless you already have a lot of things. You will have to make a cake each week and bring it in for decorating. The kit has a lot of the things that you will need, but I found that there were not enough disposable bags. When you get your book the first night, there will be a list in it telling you what you may want to consider purchasing to make things easier. The extra things that you will probably want to buy, don't seem really all that expensive but it does add up if you are on a tight budget. I think that the most expensive thing that I bought was the turntable (not necessary...but worth it when decorating). I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just want you to be prepared. thumbs_up.gif

becklynn Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 15

I recently took the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste course at my local Michael's and they would not let me use the 40% coupon on the student kit! Once you register for the course, they'll give you 10% off any supplies you need. I don't know if that's at every Michael's.
I hope you can take the Course 1! You will get so much information and you can learn a lot from the other students and the instructor!
Good luck!

nancylynwallace Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by becklynn

I recently took the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste course at my local Michael's and they would not let me use the 40% coupon on the student kit!

That sucks! Our Michael's takes the coupons for the Student Kits. I agree with Becklynn, you will learn a lot!!

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by becklynn

I recently took the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste course at my local Michael's and they would not let me use the 40% coupon on the student kit! Once you register for the course, they'll give you 10% off any supplies you need. I don't know if that's at every Michael's.

They shouldl have let you use the 40% off on the kit. The only thing you can't use it on, in relation to the classes, is the actual class cost.

Always use coupons when you can. If you sign up at Michaels.com they will send you coupons here and there. And don't forget to look for the ad in the Sunday paper. At HobbyLobby.com you can print their 40% coupon when they have it and use it at either Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

On the first night of Course 1 I have a list I hand out to my students. I have the must haves, the I suggest and the optional but helpful. It is one of the more expensive classes, but I think you could still take it on a budget.

Mamas Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 15

anyone have an estimate on the total cost of supplies?

mrswatkins Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 15

I took course 1 2 and the fondant and gum paste ones at Michaels for course one I got half off the price of the class and a buy one get one free so I signed my daughter up too

the most expensive kit i have had to purchase for the class was the fondant one and that one seems to be very expensive with all the fondant and gum paste that they require.

I start course 3 in 2 weeks and I am excited and sad at the same time as this is the last course available.

They are very fun classes and I have enjoyed them alot. very worth it in the end

BigTexinWV Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 15

I bought Kit 1 plus the book and it cost $33.00.

The next week I when back bought more bags, a turn table, a different spatula, colors, a caddie to put everything in (my wal-mart bag was not cutting it).

The week after that I bought an icer, a leveler, and more colors.

Now 6 months later I have TONS of cake stuff. I think that if you already decorate some cakes then you probably have everything for class 1.

Kit 1 comes with:

tips 3, 12, 16, 21, 67, 104, and 2D
two 10 inch featherweight reusable bags and one disposable bag
Two standard couplers
One #7 flower nail
practice board
Two brushes
small straight spatula

Most of us already have these. I didn't like the cake board and used wax paper taped to the table I needed more space.

OCakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 15

I have never taken a class, though I really want to. I feel like I should start with the beginner course since I would probably learn something. I think if money is tight now, you can definitely get the practice board (pictures with steps on how to use different tips, make flowers, etc... with BC under a clear barrier), and get practicing... I still intend to take the courses from beginner to advanced, though I've been in business for 4 years. Not only am I sure I would learn something (or a lot), but it would be FUN! I've been so busy with my 12yr old in Jr. High this year & my 15mos twins, that I really can't spare the time... so, if you have the opportunity, maybe do it now before "life" hits you! Also, even if you already have tips, it's always great to have duplicate tips. My $0.02, but I use a lot of different colors & especially need multiple small round tips. Good luck!

dbramble1020 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 15

I have taken course 1, 2 and the Fondant Class (Course 3 starts in 2 weeks! icon_biggrin.gif ). I spent the most with course 1 and the Fondant Class (good thing for 50% off coupons!).

I did not have any supplies though (not even a cake pan, left those at my mom's when I got married) icon_redface.gif .

If you have the tips and bags that come in the course 1 kit, cake pans, and somthing to carry your cake in, I think you will be able to get away without buying anything additional decorating wise . . . there is still the cost of the cake and icing supplies.

LindaB41171 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for everyone's posts. DH just got a second job to catch up bills. He said that since I had been wanting to take the the class for so long, that it was ok! He'll be using our only vehicle every day so I'll be stuck at home. This will give me something to look forward to at night I'm so excited!

By the way, for my parents anniversary I made them a cake and decorated the sides with a basket weave. My mom loved it. She said she had always wanted to learn how to do that. I told her that I learned it by studying the Wilton cake decorating book. I was so proud of myself! Guess I'll have to teach her whatever I'll learn.

kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamas

anyone have an estimate on the total cost of supplies?

including all the supplies, ingredients, bags, extras, etc. I averaged about $50-$60 per course for the first 3 courses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%