Can I Help You? (Not!)

Decorating By loriana Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 2:25am by justducky

loriana Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 13

Hi folks, I have a little funny story to share (kind of long).

I teach the Wilton classes once a week at my local Michael's (and also work full-time). On Tuesday, I was finishing up class and passed a lady in the cake isle. She looked really flustered and thoughtful so here was the conversation:

"Can I help you find something?" (me)

She says, "Well... actually I am looking for a support structure that will go through 12 cakes and hold them steady, like a doweling or rod system."

(me thinking: ok... 12 cakes???? Forgeting that... now I KNOW Michael's doesnt sell anything that complex and the two other stores in our town do not either")

"What kind of cake is this?", I ask

"Well, the bride is having a wedding with 12 stacked cakes, carved into a tree shape and covered in fondant roses."

"Sounds to me like that's a huge task." (and impossible unless you have a Duff-like bakery I thought!) "Michael's doesnt sell anything that complex and really, I do not believe (store #1) or (store #2) sells anything like that either. I've seen big cake support systems on the internet like you described with arcrylic rods. Sounds like you might need to order one."

"Well... the cake is this Saturday."

(Nothing like planning right???? icon_surprised.gif )

She says, "*mumble..mumble... something about the french bakery down the way*"

I say, "ah yeah, I've been there"
(My experience there: they never have any variety baked goods in their display, their employees are usually rude or short-tempered, and one time they charged me $5.00 for a rolled up bit of butter in foil when I asked for 'butter to go with the french bread loaf we are having for lunch')
tapedshut.gif

She says, "I own the bakery."

I say, "*mumble mumble*... good luck" and walk away. I went back to my classroom, grabbed my stuff and headed home to my fridge that was full butter that only cost me $2.50 a POUND icon_confused.gif

12 replies
darandon Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 13

Wow ! I"d love to see this HUGE cake when she is finished with it. Nothing like last minute planning. I"m afraid I would have blurted out something about, "Oh yea, that bakery charged me.....for butter" and put my foot in my mouth.

jessfmaldonado Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 13

ohhh thanks for this laugh!!! Too funny!! See what comes around goes around. hehe. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

raquel1 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 13

What a weird experience, that someone that owns a bakery would be at a Michael's looking for a complex support system icon_confused.gif It would have been great if (not knowing she owns that bakery) you would have said something about their rudeness icon_twisted.gif Oh no I didn't just say that! icon_lol.gif

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 13

Great story! As an instructor, I often encounter folks in the aisle looking for something. A few times when I have asked them if they need help, they responded as if offended that I should ask them (apparently all knowing professionals). People are funny sometimes. I love my local hobby store, but chances are, if you are a true professional, you won't be picking up your cake specific supplies there! icon_smile.gif

loriana Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 13

raquel1, you are so right... can't believe she is shopping at Michaels for this thing LOL

darandon, I should have told her! I am kicking myself for it now kind of..LOL Bet she doesn't know about her employees charging $5 for a hunka butter

bambuf, I get that all the time. People look at me like "why do you think YOU can help ME?" so when I meet those kinds of people I say to myself... Wilton doesnt pay me enough for this. Im going back to the classroom LOL but sometimes I meet potential students there, thinking about taking a class and a few times I got some people signed up. Yay!

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 13

I wish I was better at approaching people in the aisle and encouraging them to take classes. I can't believe that I can even get up in front of people to teach that first night of Course 1! icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 13

Hahaha. Funny story! How does she own a bakery and not know more than that?

loriana Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Hahaha. Funny story! How does she own a bakery and not know more than that?

Yeah, she obviously has no business sense. Let's see
1) she's got some rude employees
2) she is shopping last-minute
3) she is shopping at retail prices
4) her employees actually said "Im sorry but I'm going to have to charge you for butter, is that ok?" Then I said "oookkk...". They went in the back for a few minutes, came out with this sorry-looking hunk of butter wrapped in wrinkled foil and THEN proceeded to ring up $5.00 extra for the butter. My husband asked "why did you pay it?" and I told him "well.. they had already gone into the back to wrap it and it's sort of my fault for not asking how much extra it would be." But then again... who would charge $5.00 for a hunk of butter without telling the person that was their price? Anyone in their right mind would have said "no thanks. Ill go over to La Baguette or another bakery and get some butter with my bread for free" icon_mad.gif

bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 13

shoot, when I think of all of the chocolate I could put in my belly for $5.00...me thinks I will take my bread dry! icon_smile.gif LOL

CakeLadyM Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 13

Ummmm....yeah. The only way she's going to get a support for that cake before Saturday is if she has a (seriously good and good-hearted) wood dude build one for her. icon_cool.gif

What a piece of work!

BlueRoseCakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 13

I can't believe people are so rude just because someone offers to help! How hard is it to say "No, thank you"?
I've actually had some ask me if I could help them when I was in one of those isles.

justducky Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #13 of 13

I would have stuck my foot firmly in my mouth. Good job on keeping quiet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%