Why Does It Keep Sticking!

Decorating By onlybluemomma Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm by becklynn

onlybluemomma Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 7

So all day yesterday i was baking my brother's wedding cake for saturday..
All the cakes came out fine.. until the second 10 inch.. it stuck to the bottom of the pan.. so i figure maybe i tapped off too much flour.. it was late so i waited till this morning to buy another cake mix and do it again... well i flour'd it more than lastnight and this one is stuck to!.. i'm so angry and stressed out right now.. i have so much to do in my every day life.. i don't have time to be baking this 10 inch over and over again..

i have the cake still in the pan .. it hasn't come out yet .. i've tried a couple times and it dosn't really budge.. i know i'm going to have to get another mix... but does anyone have any advice as to why this stupid cake dosn't want to come out... when i baked them exactly the same as the other ones! icon_evil.gif

6 replies
butterflywings Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 7

how long are you letting it cool before you try to take it out of the pan?

onlybluemomma Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 7

I let them cool for about half an hour. or a little more

I was able to get it out.. and thank goodness part of it didn't stay in the pan.. it's not as perfect as the others.. but it can be covered up by the icing (just a few barely noticable bits of cake missing).. and red ribbon will also be on the bottom of each layer.. so it will hide most of the boo boo's

butterflywings Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 7

that might be part of your problem. once out of the oven, i only let them cool for about 7-10 minutes in the pan before turning them out on the cooling rack. also, consider trying the homemade cake release, since i started using it, i never have problem. just equals parts veg oil, shortening and flour.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 7

I agree. I leave my cakes in the pans for 15 or under minutes, usually less than 10. If you leave them too long what you use to keep them from sticking gets hard again and will cause sticking. Next time that happens you can put it in a warm oven to soft it back up.

DianeLM Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 7

I line the bottom of every single cake pan with a sheet of parchment and NEVER EVER have a sticking problem. It's worth the extra minute or two for peace of mind. There's nothing worse than the cake fighting back before you even start decorating!

becklynn Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 7

My grandma taught me to bake, and she always lined the bottom of the pan with wax paper. We would grease the pan, bottom and sides, then put the wax paper in, then grease the wax paper. Never had a sticking issue. Nowadays I've gotten too lazy to cut the wax paper so I use the homemade pan release and it works great!
I agree - only cool cake for 10 minutes before I take them out of the pans. I set my timer so I don't forget!
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%