Why Am I Suffering Making Roses When There's This??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 2:47am by CakesbyBecca

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I know I can buy gumpaste roses, but I like to make my own so I've been doing it petal by petal, or doing buttercream roses that aren't exactly my favorite. For the easy cake I've used the real....but want to get away from that.

THEN I was watching one of the FN Challenges last night and Buddy Valastro of Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken made these roses so darn quick....
I was like wait - what is that thing and how come I never saw it icon_surprised.gif It looked like a cookie cutter.

He had these gorgous roses and they were done in a snap. Guess I missed this somewhere along the line!!

7 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 8

IF I remember that episode correctly, he basically used the 'Wilton' method. That's how they taught use to make roses in the final Course III class.

jessieb578 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 8

In Course III or in the Fondant class?? I didn't learn gumpaste roses in Course III, in fact they were just coming out with the fondant/gumpaste class when I finished my regular decorating classes.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 8

Course III. I guess it was technically fondant roses, but yup, we learned them.

Oh, you know, I wonder if that is something that my instructor just threw in??

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 8

We didn't learn roses in the Fondant and Gumpaste course.

jessieb578 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 8

Really?? The only fondant that we learned in Course 3 was the bow and to cover the cake....how nice of your teacher to throw that in!!

You didn't learn roses in the Fondant course?? There's even a Wilton kit for time saving rose making. Hmmmm, interesting.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 8

I prefer to do mine petal by petal, but yeah they also have a five petal cutter that definitely makes shorter work of the roses, if you're in a time crunch. I have one, and it's nice, but I still like to do some things the "hard" way lol

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #8 of 8

I just finished Course 3 this week and we covered the fondant rose. Well, we were supposed to. It's in the book, but the instructor "ran out of time" icon_mad.gif so I taught myself with the help of CakeDiva73. I'm surprised your instructor didn't cover it, since the final project is all about the rose (40 of them to be exact icon_surprised.gif ).

Becca

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%