What Kind Of Marshmallow Is This? Peroxide, Soap, Potassium

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 11:36am by Mike1394

LittleLinda Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 7

Is this edible or is it just a science experiment?

6 replies
gottabakenow Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 7

oh my gosh. experiment, I think. maybe he wants to eat it? not me... really cool though.

Mike1394 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 7

That's cool follow the links to the gummi bears.

Bossy Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 7

I wonder if this is safe enough to do with my class! I did not see the link to the gummi bears.

ngfcake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

This is just a science experiment. Do not eat it! This is the trick: The hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound used sometimes as an antiseptic. Its molecules are very similar to those of water but they contain more oxygen (H2O2). When you mix the soap with hydrogen peroxide and add potassium iodide (non-toxic, even added to table salt to make it "iodized"), the peroxide molecules break down very quickly into oxygen (a gas) and water. The soap dissolves in the water and the oxygen tries to escape, and in doing so, it produces foam. The escaping oxygen makes the tiny soap bubbles move. So, if you eat it you will be eating soapy water with salt!
It is safe enough to try it in a classroom!

LittleLinda Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:17am
post #6 of 7

ngfcake: You sure know your science!
Liz: That would really be cool in the classroom, the kids would be so surprised! I know I was!

Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:36am
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by Bossy

I wonder if this is safe enough to do with my class! I did not see the link to the gummi bears.

Poor poor lil G Bears

Quote by @%username% on %date%