Watercoler Effect On Fondant

Decorating By Emmerdoo Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm by Ariginal

Emmerdoo Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:45am
post #1 of 6

I suppose that I am like most and I now enjoy working with fondant and fondant accents. I used to love buttercream but now I have grown up and moved on to fondant. I do have a question about how to get a watercolor effect on fondant. I know that you can use gel colors and water them down with flavoring or vodka, but can you water them down with water? How will that affect the drying time and which one do you think provides a better look. I am making a baby shower cake and she is using light blue, brown, red, and yellow in the baby's room. Instead of using the bright colors, I would like to do the same colors, except more subdued - hence the watercolor on fondant look. Help me out fellow cakers...what do you suggest?

Happy Caking,

5 replies
OCakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:21am
post #2 of 6

yes, I am like you, I have just started working more with fondant as well. In my short experience, I have found that water applied to fondant will eventually dry. I have used it to glue fondant pieces together. If I understand correctly, you're trying to decorate your fondant-covered cake to look like water, or to have a water affect? I think this is where luster dust or pearl dust, etc... would come in. I noticed you hadn't had any responses, so I thought I would send you my limited thoughts & maybe you can perform searches on how those products are used. I know I have mixed luster dust with lemon extract and painted it onto a BC cake, and obtained a shiny finish - I just don't know if it would remain shiny if used on fondant. Sorry I can't be more knowledgeable for you!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:58am
post #3 of 6

I would use the alcohol of some kind for the better drying effect. To make more subdued color use a drop of brown in each color you use. Brown or some folks use bronze. For something like this I would recommend air brush color too, hence the idea of a 'drop'. If you use brown gel or paste color, I'd loosen it up in the vodka or everclear or almond extract or lemon flavor or whichever kind you will use and then use a drop of that.

edited to say: I mean I thought you meant watercolor effect like oil painting or painting with acrylic or watercolor like that kind of watercolor? And also I would want a nice crust on my fondant I think before I tried this. I mean it won't perform the same as on paper of course but it's for sure do-able.

Ariginal Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:14am
post #4 of 6

i mix rosewater with my colours when wanting to paint as it dries quicker than water but longer than alcohol.. and smells nice too hehe.

Use like a paint pallete adding the amount required till you make the right colour good luck look forward to seeing a pic

Emmerdoo Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:23am
post #5 of 6

Where do you get your rosewater from or do you make it yourself?

Thanks and Happy Caking,

Ariginal Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

Hi Emmerdoo, i get it at the chemist/pharmacy not very expensive either.. dont know if you guys can get over there, love to know if you can though.

have fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%