New Mortarboard Woes!

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 1:07pm by tomsmom245

tomsmom245 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #1 of 5

I posted in another thread about my sprained ankle and not getting my mortarboard for my cake done.

I was all set to make my mortarboard out of gumpaste. I had all my gumpaste ingredients on the counter. The baby was crying so I went to get her and my sweet 2 year old son went into the kitchen and dumped the whole can of gum-tex on the floor.

Can someone just shoot me????? I couldn't get to the store to get more because they closed at 8 and I can't drive because I sprained my right ankle. Not to mention I'd have to try and drag my 2 year old tasmanian devil and a 4 month old through the store icon_eek.gif with a sprained ankle. DH didn't get home until after 8.

SO, after this longwinded diatribe about my bad luck, I have a question.

I am going to have to try to cover a piece of cardboard with fondant for a mortarboard. I have never done this and all I have is MMF.

Can someone tell me how I am going to keep the MMF from falling off the underside of the mortarboard? I'll take any advice I can get about making a mortarboard out of a piece of cardboard and MMF. This cake has to travel 3 hours so it needs to be sturdy.

4 replies
jovolavka Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #2 of 5

hmmm....maybe use frosting as glue for the cardboard & fondant? that's what I would try. hope that helps! good luck & I hope you feel better soon! icon_smile.gif

akgirl10 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:02am
post #3 of 5

Oh no, you can't catch a break! I cut a square of cardboard then very lightly frosted it with buttercream. I think a small amount of corn syrup would work well too. Then roll out your fondant and put the cardboard in the middle of it. I cut the corners of the fondant off so it looked kind of like a cross shape. That way there wasn't a lot of fondant overlap. This is the underside and a lot of it will be resting on the hat, so don't stress about it, no one will see it!

I set it on a piece of wax paper to air dry in front of a fan. It doesn't really need to be hard. Hope this helps, let us know how it went!

akgirl10 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:04am
post #4 of 5

Oh, and I have an almost 3 year old and an 8 month baby. Whenever I tend to the little one, the big one likes to stuff as many fondant decorations as she can get her hands on in her mouth before I get back. I feel your pain.

tomsmom245 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much akgirl! I am taking my sweet tasmanian devil to the YWCA for play time (aka momma's sanity time) this morning.

I will get this cake done today!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%