Was I Stupid To Think He Was A Gentleman? He Hit My Daughte

Lounge By twinsmake5 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm by twinsmake5

twinsmake5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:18am
post #1 of 30

He's 75. He hit my daughter (icon_cool.gif as she was crossing the road home from the pool. 4 girls were together - two 14 year olds and the 8 year old twins. She was past the center line - he crossed it. Her flipflops and sunglasses were found in the opposite lane from his.

This happened a week ago - I'm much cooler but angry as a wet cat now. Laurel's good - thank God - the 26 or so stitches are healing, the scabs are drying, the black and blue bruises continue to amaze us with their colors. But she is good. Heathly, very much alive, we're so thankful.

At the time, he cradled her in his arms, tenderly dabbing at her bloody spots as they dripped. Was incredibly kind, gracious, like my grandfather. Laurel calls him from the ER to tell him (he was a stranger) she got some stitches, she's feeling better, and said "thank you for helping me today." He didn't call on Thurs, but called early on Friday morning. Wanted to check on her, compliment me on being so calm through it all, and wanted our address so he could "send her a card". That was the last I heard from my "gentleman" until today's post card arrived.

It says - word for word ...

Dear Katherine (he meant Katelyn, my 14 year old)

I know you felt guilty about leading your sister across the road, but do not dwell on it. We all make mistakes and thankfully this all turned out ok. You, Laurel, and your mother were and are wonderful. Best wishes, and his signature I am too much of a gentlewoman to publish his name. At least one of us is acting decent.

How could he throw the blame all on Katelyn? She wasn't behind the wheel, she didn't cross the line. Thank God she is spending a few days with friends and didn't see this. She never will. I never asked for a dime from him. I thought we had an agreement - I thought it was obvious we were two solid, well meaning people. Unspoken that I fix my kid, he fixes his car. I can believe there was blame all around. I should have picked them up (had I not had a STUPID CAKE in the oven), Katelyn should have held their hands, they should have crossed at the guard gate where it was totally safe, he should have stayed on his side of the road. He should at least send her a teddy bear. Ah, but that would admit guilt. No - not it my mind. It would admit kindness.

I have never been so rattled. I am shell-shocked at this response from a 75 year old man. Somebody's talked to a lawyer, huh? I'm disgusted.

29 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #2 of 30

I am so glad that your daughter is all right. This could have been so much worse.

Yes, it sounds like he talked to a lawyer. I hope you got his insurance information and made a police report. I would suggest that you talk to his insurance company. I think he's fearful that you're going to take some action against him, and I can understand his fear (If someone hit my kid I would sue their ass off.) Anyhow, talk to his insurance company. They will probably offer you some sort of settlement. Then you sign a paper saying that you're done, you get some money to put in the bank for your daughter's college fund, and the whole thing is done. It's not about the money, it's about justice for your daughter and about letting the insurance company know that this man is a danger behind the wheel. And make sure they tell him not to contact you or your children again.

Sorry...I'm getting MAD here on your daughter's behalf...

Again, I'm so glad she's all right, or at least recovering.

darandon Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:10am
post #3 of 30

You need to contact someone - legal - about this. Call your insurance company, they can let you know what to do. He should not be driving if he crossed the line before hitting her. Thank goodness that she is fine.

veejaytx Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:32am
post #4 of 30

I agree, thank goodness the kids are all all right, but this guy should not get off scott free after endangering people's lives.

It would seem that he was being "nice" to cover his butt...IMHO you need to get legal help, and see if you have witnesses who saw the accident, just in case.

At 75, maybe he should not be driving any more if he can't control his vehicle.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:35am
post #5 of 30

You didn't call the police and your insurance? He hit your kid... teddy bear shmeddy bear. You want kindness? Tenderly cradled her? So freaking what?? Twenty six stitches, aurora borealis brusing? And you want a teddi bear. I'm sorry I just completely don't understand.

Your gentleman's next victim might not be so lucky and it's up to you to protect him/her in advance.

I think you are still in shock. Did you make a police report?

Hoover Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 30

You need to contact someone for legal advice and make sure you have a copy of the police report and hospital information. This driver needs to be rechecked by DMV.

michellenj Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 30

I'd contact a lawyer, too. She did nothing wrong, and he hit her! And even if she did do something wrong, the pedestrian still has the right of way.

Your daughter is going to have to live a lifetime with a scar, and who knows if she'll have any other repercussions from this, since they don't always show up immediately, you may live to regret it if you let him off the hook.

And that note he sent was wacky. Good luck in whatever you do.

Mamas Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 30

In a court of law I doubt anyone would fault the kid. It definately sounds like a CYA type of move. Don't be foolish. That card would be enough for me to say all bets are off of an agreement you should not have made in the first place. What if he got confused? What if he was drinking? What does it matter how kind he was after he hit your kid? For her sake (who knows what if any long term effects their might be) and for the sake of the society you live in seek compensation to send a message to him and to alert others to his reckless behavior.

darandon Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 30

Ok, I"m confused a bit after re-reading this one. She was hit, bleeding and the cops weren't called? How did she get to the hospital?

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #10 of 30

That is odd. I was an insurance adjuster before I quit to raise kids. I settled bodily injury claims all day.

You need to report this to insurance. You may not want a dime, but your daughter deserves it. Who paid the medical? Your insurance? B/c it is not their responsibility...it is his.

She deserves a settlement. I know that we live in a litigous society, and some lawsuits are frivolous, but this is not one of them. She was injured terribly, and she deserves a settlement. Please do NOT SIGN ANYTHING until you talk to the insurance company.

And please update with more details...this whole thing sounds off.

ResaB Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 30

I am sorry that your daughter got hit, and I am glad that she is going to be ok.

I am not saying this to be mean or rude, but he probably will not be held at fault if I am remembering correctly. I believe according to Texas law pedestrians only have the right of way if they are crossing in a designated crossing area. If they are jaywalking they do not have the right of way.(my mil had someone go out in the road in front of her, and she hit them, the person flew 25 yards, and my mil was not found at fault because the pedestrian did not cross in a designated crossing)

Also, just because her shoes and sunglasses were in the other lane does not necessarily mean that crossed the line. I am not saying that he didn't. In fact he may have, but things tend to fly in accidents, and some end up in places that you would not think. I am an EMT and have seen things found in odd places.

Again, I am not trying to be rude, mean, hurt your feelings, or anything else so please do not take this post the wrong way. I am just stating information.

twinsmake5 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 30

Wow - thanks for all the responses!

First off, there were 4 calls to 911. I rode with her in the ambulance to the hospital. We had her rechecked on Thus and afterwards we went to the police station and I got a copy of the report. It puts no blame anywhere. (The re-check went great!) The report is just facts.

There is no cross walk and I guess that means you should cross exactly at the corner. The policeman's rough sketch shows her in the middle of the street a few yards before the corner. She's 8; he's 78. 30 mph zone. Community quiet street - kids everywhere.

I am not the kind of person to sue anyone. There is fault everywhere here and I have parents the driver's age. I looked in his eyes, I saw him treating Laurel, I know he's a good man. Right now he's likely scared to death that we're going to sue his pants off. Maybe it's because we are able to pay the bills that I don't want his money. It's not about money. It's about life, compassion, doing the right thing, etc.

Yes, a teddy bear would be plenty. It would let her remember him with sweet thoughts if he bounced her on his knee and said he was so glad she's feeling better. Instead she's left scared silly of crossing parking lots and wondering why he hasn't contacted her like he said he would. Her twin sister who was there is even more frightened.

I've written him a letter, slept on it, marked out descriptive words, tried to stick to the facts. It was very theraputic. Don't know if I can send it. Bottom line - Laurel's gonna wear a scar therapy bandage 24/7 for a few months in hopes of avoiding plastic surgery a year down the road. I think it looks pretty good right now. I'm not concerned about that. She's happy, energized, able to do everything she could before, and that's all that matters.

Thanks for all the input. I knew that card was ridiculous and selfprotecting. I will send that back to him. That should be enough message.

I'm sick of this.

thanks - becky

twinsmake5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #13 of 30

I'm looking at the police report. At the bottom it says, "In your opinion, did the crash result in at least $1000 damage to any one person's property?" The policeman checked "NO".

How much do you think the ambulance ride cost? How much for the ER? How much for the recheck? How much for all the expensive after treatments like silicon bandages for 5-6 months? What if that doesn't take care of the scar? Much more than $1000 certainly.

I haven't gotten into the middle of all this. That last post - did he get a ticket? - made me think. Why didn't he?? How do you get off scott free for hitting a child? Even it was a complete accident - someone was still behind the wheel of the car.

We're headed out of town for the month - I need to get away! Headed to my parents house, aunts, uncles, cousins. Listen to the frogs at night and just relax. I'm taking all the papers with me so I can relax and maybe think this through a bit better.

Mostly - I'm glad Laurel is doing just fine. It's Meghan who is so scared in a parking lot - her fingernails dig into my arm when she grabs for me. Thanks again for all the posts.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:00am
post #14 of 30

Property is the vehicle, not injuries and medical bills...that's two different kinds of coverage on the auto insurance policy. A policeman can't estimate the cost of medical treatment so they wouldn't even ask that on the form.

I think you're feeling guilty that your daughter got hit because she was walking home. This is not your fault. How many times did we cross the street when we were kids? I mean, my parents' street was just like an extension of the front yard to us, we played in it and the cars went slow and we got out of their way.

Now, if your kids were crossing the street in a row and this guy hit the last kid in the row, he should have had time to see them and stop. It's not like one of your kids stepped off the curb in front of him. So either he's too old to have the reactions to be a safe driver or he wasn't paying any attention. I don't care how nice he was afterwards...people will pick up a dog they've hit and take it to the vet too, it doesn't mean they were driving carefully...he's a danger to the neighborhood. I saw that you said your parents are the same age...my grandma is 85, she's a tough little lady who takes college classes (cause they're free for her age), always has a younger boyfriend (in his 70's...a younger man icon_biggrin.gif), lives by herself in her great big house...my husband's grandma was in a nursing home when she was 80, a year later she didn't recognize him when we visited, and she passed away the year she turned 85. My point is that not all people have the same abilities at the same age.

My sister had an injury when she was a child that left some scars on her face and neck. It's been 20-something years and she still talks about how my mom didn't care enough to fight for her and took the thousand dollars that the people's insurance offered. My mom was raised to think that only poor people expect to be compensated for an accident, or even think of suing...but it's not that. Just because you can afford to pay the bills doesn't mean that the other person shouldn't take any responsibility.

You said there were four calls to 911...that means at least four witnesses. This man may decide to sue you for the damage to his car and for the stress that the accident caused him...it sounds like he's talked to a lawyer already. He may be figuring that you're going to sue (because it's very odd that you haven't done anything, haven't contacted his insurance company, etc.) so he figures he'll sue you first. You may actually need to talk to a lawyer just to protect your family.

twinsmake5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #15 of 30

Thanks for all the thought-provoking ideas. I laughed a week ago thinking I'm being so nice, he'll probably sue me for damage to his car. The police report checked that there was no damage. I'm not laughing anymore though.

When I get to my folks in NC, I'll call my insurance and ask what I should do. My husband, though he doesn't want to sue either, says a good idea would be to check the tab at the club - had he had a few drinks? I didn't smell anything but you never know. I didn't see any glasses but his license has a A restriction.

Yes, the neighborhood street is like an extension of our front yard. Our street even has speed bumps. Kids go from house to house like the good old days. It's an extremely low traffic area and most folks heading into the club are going 20-25. It's a big wide street with no painted lines. Safe - that's why we bought this house. I laugh at that now.

My mother-in-law thinks his response (dropping the guilt on katelyn in writing) is unspeakably disgraceful. My mother thinks it wouldn't be uncommon for a man of his age to think the oldest child should be responsbile - and he was just being nice telling her not to dwell on it. I think my mom is small-minded sometimes - like now!

I feel bad for Laurel. She hears all this - we try not to speak of it in front of her but it's a huge topic of conversation with neighbors, friends, and just in our family. She clams up. She's a kid - she wants to move on. So do I. I'm just so dang frustrated by it all.

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 30

Please, please, please talk to your insurance company, if not an attorney. You are not money grubbing. He is not a bad guy. Accidents happen, and that is why we have insurance.

1. It is NOT FAIR for YOUR medical insurance to have to pay for an accident that was someone else's doing. My guess is that the billing department will ask for his information sooner or later. I can't speak for your state, of course, but this is what would happen in California.

2. Your child is still afraid. She is entitled to a settlement that would allow for her to get counseling, if needed.

3. Your child is scarred. You do not know how this will affect her in the future. She may hate it...she may be very self-conscious. She should have the right to handle it as she sees fit...it is her body. Of course, you are the parent, but you don't want to sign her rights away and not give her the chance to decide for herself when she is of legal age.

4. You are her advocate. Please, please keep her options open.

5. Police reports can be and often are incorrect. The police report is a guideline. Your insurance company is trained to argue on your behalf. The police officer was not there and did not see what happened. The report is, at best, HIS guess of what occurred.

6. Please don't think of it as "suing him", which carries a bad connotation. You are not suing, you are simply expecting reimbursement for reasonable medical costs as well as pain and suffering, which she DID endure. This will not be out of HIS pocket...it is what he has insurance for.

7. He has a majority of the liability, if not all. She is a child, and the fact is she made it more than halfway across the street before she was hit. He should have seen her. It's not like she darted out from behind a parked car or something.

Please, please talk to your insurance company!!!

veejaytx Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 30

Very well said, 4gifts4lisa, and very good advice and information.

The fact that the daughter is so young could make a big difference in the longrun, there is no way to tell how she will deal with the injuries/scars either mentally or physically. Protecting her for the future is necessary.

ResaB Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #18 of 30

You might want to do some research on your own before you incur legal expenses on top of medical expenses. I found this on the TxDOT website.

and a cut and paste from the link:

The Law for Pedestrians

* Pedestrians must yield to a vehicle on the roadway if crossing the street at a place other than a marked crosswalk or pedestrian tunnel or crossing. (NOTE: If you are hit while jaywalking, the driver may not be liable, and his or her car insurance may not cover your injuries.)
* Stay on sidewalks and the right-hand side of crosswalks; pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks.
* On a road without sidewalks, walk on the left side facing traffic.

If he was not given a ticket it is because he was found not at fault. If he was not speeding he was not breaking the law. Unfortunately, they were jay-walking which is illegal in the state of Texas, and some cities still give citations for it.

Yes, he should have been being a lot more careful in a subdivision full of children especially near a swimming pool or a playground. He very well could have been keeping an eye on the other two to make sure they did not come back out into traffic and just missed seeing the third one, or maybe she was far enough behind that she was in a blind spot on his car.

In no way am I saying that you should not try to recoup some or all of your expenses. I would just hate to see you stuck with legal expenses as well and get nothing out of it. Maybe try to get a free consult with a personal injury attorney after you do some research on your own and see where you stand.

Again, I am not trying to be mean, or cause trouble. I really am truly sorry about what happened to your daughter, and I am not taking the side of the driver. I just got curious about what Texas law had to say about this, and did some looking and found the information above. I posted it because I thought you might be interested in it.

ziggytarheel Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #19 of 30

I'm a mom and my heart aches for you. I can't imagine how hard this is.

I'm also a mom who keeps up with all the local news stories. I'm not in your state, but I'm pretty familiar with how this sort of accident works around here, and may there as well.

If the pedestrian is not following the law and there is no proof that the driver was not following the law, there will be no ticket and no criminal fault.

Here, if you are crossing illegally, the odds are overwhelming that the pedestrian will be at fault.

Civil matter work slightly differently but you would need proof that your child was crossing legally, proof that you were not negligent under the law, and proof that the driver was breaking a law.

Please, contact your insurance company. But do not put yourself through the heartache of a legal matter if you do not have a case. I've experienced this first hand in my family and it is not good for anyone.

Blessings to you.

SueW Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #20 of 30

It would seem that he was being "nice" to cover his butt...IMHO you need to get legal help, and see if you have witnesses who saw the accident, just in case.

I totally agree with this. He was being so kind to make sure he wasn't sued, now he is trying to blame a child. icon_mad.gif I'd seek legal advice to be on the safe side. My parents hit an 8 year old boy who came flying into the street infront of their car on one of those motorized scooters and they even got sued for that even though the boy hit their car in the side icon_confused.gif You just never know what people will do. They had my new born nephews in the car and were driving so slow but some how it got blamed on them by the kids parents who weren't even home! thank goodness one of the other boys admitted they "dared him" to go in the street so my parents were OK legally.

thank goodness you daughter is OK, best of luck!

michellenj Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 30

This has really made me think about things. Where I grew up, the law was that the peds could do anything, and the motorist was always at fault. I just kind of figured it was the same everywhere. Now that my kids are getting bigger, I've got to look at the laws for our area and make sure they obey them.

I am so glad your daughter is OK. How scary!

7yyrt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #22 of 30

Yes, she was in the road, but he had crossed the line out of his lane and was going the wrong direction. The fault is his.

dldbrou Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #23 of 30

The main reason that you need to pursue this is his age. My grandmother was about his age when she his a college student on a bicycle. She wasn't going fast, but she did knock him down. She got out of her car to see if he was okay and when she discovered he was, she got back in her car and drove home about a block away. The police showed up at her house and charged her with hit and run. She had no idea she was at fault. We realized that it was the beginning of alzheimer disease for her and her car was immediately taken away from her. What I am trying to say is that he probably does not think he is at fault and he needs to be checked out mentally as well as physically to make sure he should still be driving. Also, I was hit from behind and did not think much of it at the time, but one year later I developed severe neck pain that I am now living with daily. The doctors tell me it more than likely developed from the accident. I had my lawyer ask to cover doctors cost to find out what the problem was and was then told that he barely had any insurance coverage and it would not cover much of the expense. So now I pay for any medical procedures that will incur for the rest of my life.

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #24 of 30

i think contacting your insurance company and talking to a lawyer might be a very good idea. i'm not saying whether or not you should sue... because that's up to you. but i am saying that you should seek legal advice. i'm not a very aggressive person... so i get where you are coming from. i give people the benefit of the doubt a lot of the times... but in this instance your child is more important than any benefit of the doubt you should issue. i think your on the right track... just seek some legal advice and see what they say...

good luck and i'll keep ya in my prayers... icon_smile.gif

p.s. and i'm so happy that your daughter didnt get severly injured...

potatocakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #25 of 30

I guess I'm the lone dissenter here, but the way I read his note was that he is, without coming straight out and admitting his own fault, trying to make sure your oldest daughter does NOT take the blame. Maybe he heard her say something after the accident, before you got there, about this being all her fault or that she should have watched her sister better or something along those lines. I'm not saying she feels that way now, but at the time of something as scary as seeing your little sister get hit by a car, maybe she just blurted those things out and he wants to make sure she knows she shouldn't feel responsible, it was not her fault.

When my little brother was 14, he was getting ready to show his horse at a 4H show. I was also showing and was very nervous as it was my first time doing hunter/jumper classes with my horse. A little before my brother's class was to start, my mom and I were standing on the rail inside the arena and she mentioned that she wanted to go outside and see how Ben was doing. I didn't want to -- I wanted to stay in and watch the other classes, so I told her to stay with me and we'd see him later. Well, about 5-10 minutes later we hear this commotion and see my dad carrying my brother in and laying him on the ground. His horse had spooked at something, reared up and fallen backwards on him. He nearly died. He had several broken bones as well as a skull fracture and more, and spent 2 weeks in the hospital and had 2 surgeries, one on his hip and one on his face. He still, 15 years later, struggles with hip pain, walks with a limp, and faces probable hip replacement in the future. Was it my fault this happened to him? Absolutely not, but I have lived with the guilt that had I not been so selfish and gone out to talk to him, we would have been standing right next to the horse and it probably wouldn't have happened. I've felt that way for 15 years, and finally last year told my mother how I've always felt responsible for it and she couldn't believe I'd carried that around for so long. I would have loved if someone had told me years ago that this was an accident that just happened and I didn't cause it, nor could I have prevented it. Who knows? Had we been there, it could have been worse -- me or my mom could have gotten hurt, too. Anyway, I know that's a really long story, but I just wanted to give you a different viewpoint of what the man may have been trying to get across -- maybe he was not blaming your daughter, but making sure she knows without a doubt that it wasn't her fault and she shouldn't hold any guilt about it whatsoever.

I'm glad Laurel's okay, and I agree with you on the not suing, with the exception of medical bills. I do think his insurance should cover that, not yours. But I understand not wanting to personally sue him and financially devastate him for the remainder of his years.

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #26 of 30

potatocakes you are NOT alone in this opinion...I wondered the same thing.

(((hugs)))on your brother...I would have felt guilty, too, but then, I was raised with a good ol' dose of Catholic guilt <wink>

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #27 of 30

I am sorry about your daughter but glad she is okay....My name is Laurel also so you tell her that another lady with her name was watching out for her that day!!

God Bless!!!

summernoelle Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #28 of 30
Originally Posted by twinsmake5

I'm looking at the police report. At the bottom it says, "In your opinion, did the crash result in at least $1000 damage to any one person's property?" The policeman checked "NO".

How much do you think the ambulance ride cost? How much for the ER? How much for the recheck? How much for all the expensive after treatments like silicon bandages for 5-6 months? What if that doesn't take care of the scar? Much more than $1000 certainly.

Personal damage isn't the same as medical bills. That's where lawsuits come into play-for medical damages and pain and suffering, etc.

Honestly, it's impossible for any of us on CC to know who was a fault. Kids in my neighborhood are all over the street. Whether running across it, biking or riding those terrible little motorcycyles, they don't look where they are going and it could be easy to accidentally hit one of them. On the flip side, there are also reckless drivers who zoom down the street while not paying attention. (I live on a street with a pool, too, so lots of kids).

What I am saying is that if the man wasn't paying attention and just driving in his own little world, then it is his fault. There may also be issues of whether or not he is too old to drive, or could pass the driving test. But if your kids weren't paying attention and just went out into the street, it isn't the drivers fault.

margaretb Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:34am
post #29 of 30

I agree with potatocakes on her interpretation of the note. When I read it, the first thing that came to my mind was that it was thoughtful of him to make sure that your older daughter didn't blame herself. No, he doesn't admit blame, and quite frankly I wouldn't either if I were in that situation. Obviously I could be completely wrong, and it does seem a bit awkwardly worded, but to me it just seems that the point of the note is to make sure the older daughter doesn't blame herself.

Having said that, I would definitely call the insurance company and at least follow up on the things mentioned by others in the thread. Maybe you don't want to sue, but maybe they would offer a settlement right off the bat with no lawsuit. Maybe you can request that he be assessed. I would not make any final decision for at least a year to see what else might develop, and I would take at least some action to document what has happened and keep the case open for now.

I see this happened a couple months ago, so I hope your daughter has continued to heal and that your other daughters are starting to lose the fear reflex from the trauma.

twinsmake5 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #30 of 30

I don't know and don't care much anymore. I have received a letter from the gentleman's insurance company asking me to contact them. I haven't yet - summer was crazy - but now that's schools back in session, I will get to it.

Interesting tid-bit ... the twins played the last few holes of golf with their Dad and older brother on Saturday. When they arrive in the club house, who is there? The old man who hit Laurel. Meg grabs her Dad's shorts and starts yanking - remember those days?! Dad - it's HIM! My husband walks over and introduces himself, offers his hand, and says, "you remember Laurel, the little girl you hit with your car?" My husband is no coward and very respectful. The old man shakes my husbands hand and turns to Laurel, bending down to his knees, takes both her hands and says there hasn't been a day gone by that he hasn't thought of her and he's so glad she's doing so well. My husband said he looked so old, especially in the eyes. I had thought the same back in June. He'll be 79 in October.

Laurel is doing great - wearing a silicone bandage still 24/7 to help the scar heal. It's become a fashion statement and we have a wonderful array of stickers to add to it. Meghan is the one in the worst shape. She is very phobic in parking lots; anywhere there are cars and people. That will slowly heal too I hope.

Thanks for all the thoughts and concern. I hope we're almost done with this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%