Half Bc And Half Royal Icing

Baking By nello Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 1:43am by foxymomma521

nello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nello Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #1 of 6

Can you do a 1/2 buttercream icing and 1/2 royal icing mixed together? I want the look of royal, but the taste of buttercream. I am new to this stuff. Maybe there is something I can do instead. I am going to decorate cookies with this. Thanks for any and all advise or tips on great tasting and gooding looking icing recipes.

5 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 6

I'm not an expert, but I've always heard that the grease in the bc will ruin the royal. I think you can thin the royal out with more water. Good luck!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6

The buttercream will break down the royal icing... not sure exactly what it would do, but it wouldn't look like royal anymore. You could make the rolled buttercream recipe, cut out with the same cookie cutter shape and place it on top of a warm cookie... I haven't tried that yet, but got the idea from on here... someday I'll have a reason to try icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #4 of 6

The grease in the buttercream will ruin the ri - I only use metal utensils, bowls, etc w/my ri b/c if there is any grease residue (even on throughly cleaned items, ie: rubber spatulas) you run the risk of the grease breaking down your ri. Been there, done that. Recently stuck my spatula in a batch b/c I wasn't paying attention - literally stuck the spatula in & took it right out. Seemed okay @ first but after I had completed dozens of flowers they started to wilt. I know it was from the trace grease that can't get cleaned out of the spatula.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastreats

The buttercream will break down the royal icing... not sure exactly what it would do, but it wouldn't look like royal anymore. You could make the rolled buttercream recipe, cut out with the same cookie cutter shape and place it on top of a warm cookie... I haven't tried that yet, but got the idea from on here... someday I'll have a reason to try icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

This is totally right. I am a newbie too but have learned this the hard way. I made a batch of royal once and some how a little grease from a spoon got in. The royal never dried. I have also tried the rolled buttercream, its a very neat thing to work with, however I did not love the taste. No offense obviously to the creater/poster of the recipe, it just wasnt my thing. I have done a lot of cookies lately for family and they all love the royal on the sugar cookie, something about the blend of the two flavors I guess, because nobody can stand the royal when it is wet. Good luck!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #6 of 6

That won't work. Try using fondant with RI accents icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%