Does Hi Ratio Shortening Have A "taste" To It?!?!?

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 3:51am by Bakingangel

Edibleart Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 19

I am trying out some from a local bakery - I'm not sure what brand it is but it seems to have it's own taste to it - unlike Crisco which, to me, doesn't taste. Or it could be that I am just used to it. Has anyone else had this issue? I just tried swapping the Crisco out and using Hi Ratio in my regular recipe but it tastes different. Maybe it is a lesser known brand? Help! I love how stable it makes the icing but I want my icing to taste the same as it has been!

18 replies
luvbakin Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:44am
post #2 of 19

Humm, I use a lesser known brand "Wesco" and don't have that problem at all. Maybe you got a bad batch. Try again.

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #3 of 19

I have used something called Sweetex. I don't remember it changing the taste at all.

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #4 of 19

I just tried Sweetex for the first time, and I HATE the taste. It has a sweet, chemical taste to me that I think is just ghastly. I tried it in two different icing recipes to make sure it wasn't the flavorings I used. I'm so disappointed because the texture of the icing is very nice. Regardless, I'm tossing it out (which makes me sad because it's expensive - I'm glad I only bought a small bucket). I'll be very interested to hear what others have to say about the flavor.

debster Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 19

Wow, I use Sweetex all the time. I don't notice a taste. I only can pick up the taste of the flavorings I use in it. Maybe it's been sitting too long you think? Is it yellowed any? Weird.

hillmn Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #6 of 19

I use Sweetex all of the time and I have not noticed a taste.

CherryLane Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #7 of 19

Could it be that it just has a different mouth feel to it? Hi Ratio is much smoother and does not have a greasy mouth feel.

If the shortening has any little black specks in it, it is bad.

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #8 of 19

I can say the store sold me bu-van with the Sweetex, and gave me a recipe using both. Bu-van is an artificial butter/vanilla flavoring. That stuff was absolutely disgusting! My friend and I made the mistake of tasting it straight and I thought my tongue was going to fall off. Didn't taste much better in the icing.

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #9 of 19

I had just received a 4 lb bucket of it from "The Baker's Kitchen". I have to admit that I was a bit surprised by the way it was packaged when I got it. It was not factory sealed, but just had a strip of clear tape around the lid to make sure the lid stayed on.

Now I'm wondering if it was rancid. It's nice and white, but it just has the strange smell and taste. Maybe someone can recommend a dependable place to buy this. I can only get a 50 lb. box locally, so I wanted to order the smaller size over the internet. I did notice that some places will not ship it in the summer months for fear of spoilage. Recommendations anyone?

JanH Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:16am
post #10 of 19

My local cake decorating supply repackaged Sweetex into 3# plastic buckets, but it wasn't cost effective or fresh... (Sweetex was yellowing and turning translucent.)

Went to Gordon Food Service and ordered a 50# cube which arrived fresh and solid white. (Have repackaged into commercial food grade containers which are in my freezer.)

My Sweetex has never had a discernible taste or odor.

HTH

debster Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:36am
post #11 of 19

Wow janH my GFS said they can't get it LIARS..................hahahaha I have to go through Sysco. I didn't know you could freeze it though, thanks.

misha35 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:54am
post #12 of 19

My local GFS told me last fall they could order it .... 6 weeks later I still did not have it so ordered 3 small buckets from bakers kitchen & received within 24 hours of placing order.
I've used bakers kitchen since.

i've noticed no taste and that it is less greasy.

JanH Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Wow janH my GFS said they can't get it LIARS..................hahahaha I have to go through Sysco.

When I first went to GFS, the staff couldn't locate Sweetex or hi-ratio in the computer so I was told it was not available. icon_sad.gif

However, puzzlegut was kind enough to provide the Sweetex product number, 1080220 (from her GFS order) - and with that info my GFS was able to order it for me. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

debster Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 19

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks JanH, If need be I'll try that. I just had a Chef search me down online to do cakes for him. I'm doing one this weekend so I'm hoping this works out well, and he said he can get the Sweetex for me on his ordering . He does catering.

JenTX Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

My local cake decorating supply repackaged Sweetex into 3# plastic buckets, but it wasn't cost effective or fresh... (Sweetex was yellowing and turning translucent.)

Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it right. I, too, used some repackaged Sweetex that I bought from my cake supply shop and I had the same issues that JanH did. I never wanted to try Sweetex again! But it's nice to know it's not supposed to be like that. Thanks for the info!

Ruth0209 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #16 of 19

It's very helpful to hear that it should not be like the batch I received. I'll have to give it another try from a source I can trust. Any recommendations on where to purchase it on the internet?

Edibleart Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 19

Sorry I didn't get back before - I didn't receive an email saying that there were posts!

Anyway, the shortening is white and there is no yellowing. I'm sure it must not be Sweetex, but probably a cheaper brand, therefore maybe the taste? I really like how stable it is but I am not thrilled with the difference in the taste. I cannot get Sweetex around here so it would need to be ordered and I am not sure if they would ship it in the heat of summer. I had such high hopes but I guess I'll still be on the hunt for something I can get locally - without the taste!

LadyPol Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #18 of 19

I ordered Sweetex in 1# packages from shopbakersnook and it arrived the week of June 9 and it was fine! Of course, we were home and the package didn't sit out on the porch all day, either.

My Sweetex was nice and white ... and I didn't notice a funny taste.

Bakingangel Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:51am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Went to Gordon Food Service and ordered a 50# cube which arrived fresh and solid white. (Have repackaged into commercial food grade containers which are in my freezer.)

My Sweetex has never had a discernible taste or odor.

HTH

JanH - Freezing Sweetex works fine? I have a 50# box and need to repack too. I called the mfg. of Sweetex but couldn't get anyone to call me back.

Previously, I ordered the smaller 4# units and noticed that they smelt funny and had a funky taste and had to throw it out. I don't have that problem with the 50# unit. But I don't want it to bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%