I Need A Hand!

Decorating By lilypie Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm by lilypie

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 18

Okay, i need to make a hook/hand (see pic) for the top of a tiered cake. something like the "fist of rock" cake that Duff did. I am going to be using gumpaste (which seems like a bad idea to me) because it is going to be outside in the heat. modeling chocolate seems like it would melt.

it seems like i should build it on some sort of base, build the fist around it? should there be something down the center of the cake to hold it? i have no idea why i agreed to do this... i can't even think of where to start, and its just a couple of weeks away..

Someone! help me! pleeeease!?!?
LL

17 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 18

I'll let the other smart folks chime in on the hook itself, but I have done a hand sort of similar. (Pirate hands, one hook, one flesh)

I built the hand out of the clay and folded it over the sword it was holding. It had a thick dowel up the wrist part and into the palm (that was hidden by the fist).
To hide the imperfections in my "skin" and to hide the rough edges of my hook hand I made fondant shirt cuffs to go around the wrist area. Not only hid the wrist part I did not do so well, but also the hole in the cake where the dowel went in.

I had poofy sleeve ends due to the pirate, but you could do just shirt cuffs, or like a sweatshirt cuff etc. or even the robe sleeves of the cowled figure that often carries such a hook. icon_smile.gif

Hid the mess I made of the icing on top trying to stick it in too. You could even have a piece of cake there to wrap the sleeve around for more stability for the fist part. All hidden by the cuff.

lilypie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 18

It is a cargo hook that longshoremen used to use icon_razz.gif nothing sinister

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 18

See where my mind goes? Horror movies!

Well then, a sweater/cable knit sleeve, or yellow raincoat would be cute!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 18

suggest RKT (rice krispie treats) to mold hand.

can cover that in fondant or gumpaste.

get large enough dowel (1/2" or larger) to go all way to base of cake (this will also be your oversize central dowel if doing stacked tiers) to mold hand around -- it needs to be taller than cake by height you want arm and hand to be.

drill hole in end to accept a heavy piece of wire. prebend wire to desired hook shape and insert into dowel

build up wire's thickness with gumpaste and paint appropriate color

diagram shows handle as another smaller dowel that goes through hole drilled in large upright dowel --- I WOULD do this to get extra support for the RKT. Can thicken projecting ends of this dowel w/ RKT or gumpaste or fondant.

HTH
LL

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 18

My mind also went straight into horror movies! I made a hand out of RKT, covered it in fondant. Of course, mine was themed from a horror movie, and it was a zombie hand, but still...

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 18

Doug, you are a rock-star!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 18

yep, i think rkt is the way to go as well, and props to doug for giving you such a great template

lilypie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 18

will the RKT hold up ok in the heat?

and THANKS you guys for all the help!

crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 18

rkt is very stable, after you mold it pop it in the fridge and it will get pretty firm

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 18

but if hand/hook is on the main dowell then how does she put it all the way through the cake without damaging the hand? Is removable or something?

crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 18

i would think if the dowel goes into the rkt, it would be able to slide right off again. the dowel would mke its own sleeve i guess into the rkt, so you could dowel the cake and then pop the hand back on.

Doug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 18

option a: form hand on dowel after dowel is in cake.

option b: have dowel in two parts that screw together.

option c: the dowel will have to stick up between the fingers (ie visible) --- just leave off the metal hook and use a second smaller to bound the big dowel in to the cake, then add the hook.

option d: TWO same size dowels --- one with no hand that gets pushed through the cake first and then removed. It makes the holes and then slip dowel w/ hand into the holes (tho' I do this in conjunction w/ option "c" )

option e: two part dowel that joins using a bushing -- like how the parts of folding tent rod are held together w/ the metal part (the bushing)

lilypie Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:59am
post #14 of 18

how about a tube from the bottom up the center? i wouldn't have to push on the hand at all, just slide it in? what could i use for the tube?
LL

Doug Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 18

tube -- WHITE PVC used for plumbing in house.

don't even need to do whole tube of it.

can get by w/ a scrap piece about 4 in long (a friendly plumber might even give you that for free)

see diagram.

base (suggest wood)

then large diameter dowel that has been screwed (and even glued) to the base.

then the piece of tubing, sized to fit on bottom dowel very tightly.

then the dowel for the hand slides in -- this dowel slightly smaller so fits in easily.

----

if you do the whole white tube -- you'll have to use a nipple flange (i kid you not, that's what their called) to hold it to the wood base securely.

that will work too.
LL

lilypie Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 18

thanks so much Doug! looks like i need to visit my local friendly plumbing supply dood!

and the pvc doesn't need to be covered or anything? can be in the cake? (sorry, i'm paranoid)

Doug Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 18

get the grade used for POTABLE (meaning you can drink it) Water....

then wash it very well inside and esp. out.

then it will be ok for short term contact.

lilypie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #18 of 18

THANKS DOUG!! for your help on this project! and everyone else too!
I survived the picnic, and ALL THOSE DANG CAKES!! they all tore through 3 12x18" sheet cakes (you can see one on the left in the pic) and donated the tiered cake to the local shelter. I had to remake the hook (i didn't have the right kind of wire, and made the gumpaste too thick) and it didn't have time to dry, so it didn't want to stand up (PooP!) but oh well! i'll do better next time!

Thanks again everyone!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%