Has Anyone Tried Or Used This Interesting Product?

Decorating By pasquerto Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm by pennywells

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 20
19 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 20

Interesting...thanks for posting. I'd also like to hear if anyone has tried them before.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 20

looks sturdy, the cake would definately stay stacked BUT - it could still very easily slide if transporting stacked. the supports don't anchor into anything like the sps supports do.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 20

I haven't tried them -- I too am an SPS girl! It looks to me like that is a lot of acrylic going into the cake -- meaning I think it could probably split a cake wide open! The concept seems great, but I see some potential problems.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 20

it says its only 3 7/8" tall. My cakes are always like 4 1/2 inches tall. I'm afraid this would cause a bulge but I like the idea if it was a bit taller.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 20

I agree with cupcakemkr. They say at the bottom that it's not recommended to use if transporting the cakes stacked. Although, I would think that if you used that, you could drive a dowel all the way through, just a bit off center, and voila, you could practically JUGGLE the cake and it would stay!!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 20

looks like there were lots of holes in the thought process they went thru making those. with a little tweaking it could be a good product but it definitely seems like it would break the cake. also, like someone said, the tiers are attached to each other in any way, so it could tip. icon_confused.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 20

I use these, they are great, you do have to bake your cake to the height of the support. They are a very pleasant company to deal with, and will custom make supports to the height you require, there is an extra charge for this, but it was an option the last time i ordered these.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 20

peg- the cake doesnt break with all the extra stuff in the middle of it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 20

Meh . . .I'll stick with SPS. Easy.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 20

I'll pass.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 20

It is interesting... but I like the sps myself...

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 20

I found this when i did a google image search for the SPS....I just dowel but I thought i'd share!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 20

Eversince I got the instructions from leahs, I'm a total sps gal meself! I'll pass, thanks.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 20

it took me a while to use a system like sps although my husband (who worked anight job as a waiter said thats what the cakes had). i buy them from wholesalesugarflowers.com

im guessing its similar to the SPS..(i got the instructions from leah) and its almost exactly what i do except for the center hole...

what i do now which i learned from sugarshack is to put duct tape on the plastic plate before setting the cake on top of it (which is on a board). that way the board is stuck to the plastic plate..of course you have to make sure you center it properly or you'll have a HARD time trying to get it centered after its stuck on the plate lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #16 of 20

I think those plates that wholesalesugarflowers.com has are Coast Brand. SPS has the little peg that makes all the difference.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:37am
post #17 of 20

Hmm.... that's an interesting idea, but I *KNOW* it would cause my cakes to crack like crazy! I use SMBC almost exclusively, and my cake crack sometimes just using the SPS! The would NEVER hold up to that much plastic being inserted! icon_eek.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #18 of 20

i havent had a problem with them..yet lol..ive traveled with 3 tiered stacked cakes no problem. i added the duct tape as extra insurance for thelast couple of cake si did

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:22am
post #19 of 20

I haven't had a problem with the cake cracking with these, but i never had a problem with regular dowels. Haven't tried the SPS system, although i was looking at the coast system. I really want something i don't have to worry about getting back, cause alot of people don't want to return anything.

pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #20 of 20

I am somewhat new to this can anyone direct me to the instructions on this sps way of stacking cakes. I would like to start transporting stacked cakes (instead of stacking at the event) and if this helps Yeahhhhhh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%