Cake Etiquette

Decorating By calynmom Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm by calynmom

calynmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Ladies.

First I want to say that this site has been invaluable to me in helping me learn cake decorating.

Second, I'm not the most creative person. There I said it. name is Kelly and I don't have the creative gene. question. I want to enter a cake in the local fair and had an idea on what I wanted to do...the cheese and mice cake. So I looked on here and saw some great ideas.

What is the etiquette on using others designs for something like this? Do I need to ask their permission. I was going to incorperate several ideas into one.

I by no means want to step on anyones toes.

TIA...Kelly icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
tiptop57 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 3

You can make any type of cake even if it has been on this website for your contest following the rules of your contest.

With regards to CC cakes and posting, only the photo's are copyrighted not the cake design.

If you are selling cakes you can't make copyrighted characters and character pans to sell (i.e. Barbie, Disney, Comic Book Hero's etc.,) because these were copyrighted before being created in cake and these should not be posted on your company's website. You can post them if it was created for only your family's consumption as that is considered private use.

As for posting on CC and using someone elses design, our etiquette has been to name the CC member, or even the famous cake artist when entering the description. For instance: "Thank you Calynmom for your design that inspired this cake."

Many of the cakes you see on CC have been variations of famous cake artists or Wilton designed cakes and will say something like: my version of Debbie Brown's cake.

HTH and good luck and remember to post the picture.

calynmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks tiptop. That really helps. I don't sell cakes professionally. Just make them for friends and family.

I have several family birthday cakes coming up plus the fair. I'll make sure and post it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%