How Do I Anchor Balls On Wire On My Cake? (Whimsical Type)

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 11:30pm by wgoat5

yelle66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 4

I had to rephrase that b/c I first wrote, how do I anchor my balls on a cake. icon_redface.gif Anyway, I have done a few of the whimsical type wired decos, but nothing very heavy b/c the cake doesn't support it. I have a BINGO cake for tomorrow and wanted to make some bingo balls and have them be wired above the cake (does that make sense-like the wire coming up out of the cake in spirals?) How do I put something that heavy first onto the wire and then supported by the cake?

TIA for any help,

3 replies
tiptop57 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 4

I use stronger floral wire and a piece of food safe nonflexible and non latex tubing and pound that down through the cake and into the 1/2 cardboard cake drum and place the wires into the tube.

Never, ever put wires directly into a cake, it is not food safe.

Then to get the fondant/gumpaste to attach to the wire I make a hook in the end of the wire, dip it into egg white (which is okay if nobody plans to eat it) for the glue and attach my object, let dry.

KoryAK Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 4

Depending on how heavy you are talking... just a skinny coffee-stirrer straw inserted into the cake first will work wonders.

wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 4

also .. if you make a tiny hook at the end of the wire... then (have a candle lit) heat the tip of the wire... push it into the ball .. it will instantly glue itself to the inside of the ball icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%