What To Do With Massive Batch Of Buttercream I Hate!!

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 1:38am by ChristianCakeBaker

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 22

icon_mad.gificon_sad.gif I'm having a bad afternoon. I just need to vent. I decided to spend some extra time I had this afternoon trying out a new recipe of buttercream. icon_cry.gif Why I did?>?? crazy??? I mean, i love my current recipe but there are alot of steps to make it. The new one i found sounded good, less steps. So i just mixed it up and I absolutely HATE it!! thumbsdown.gif It's wicked sweet and not as fluffy as i was expecting. Now what do i do with it? icon_cry.gif I just wasted almost a full tin of crico, two and a half bags of icing sugar, lots of vanilla!! I'd hate to throw it out. Yet i can't see anyone in my family liking it better than my previous one. I wouldn't want to use it on a cake i sell because it doesn't reflect my type of icing. Any suggestions? Next time i will leave good enough alone. Ok i'll stop venting now...I feel a little better. Thanks for listening.

21 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 22

Why not do a dummy cake with it?? Good practice and you can add to your portfolio!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 22

mind sharing the recipe so we can help you tweak it? Did you try adding salt? Maybe some almond extract?

candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 22

make cake truffles/balls. they are so delicious and a guaranteed success!!

msrp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msrp Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 22

Could you separate it into smaller amounts and blend it into your regular frosting? Or, do you have little ones? It might work on cupcakes just as a treat?. Good luck.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 22

I made the mistake of trying a different vanilla in my buttercream once...never again...

I used the icky buttercream as the base for "filler" in my cakes - added crushed cookies or chocolate or raspberries so those additions took over the flavour and you could never tell the difference.

good way to use it without sacrificing taste or quality in place of your other icing

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 22

I hate it when that happens...you could always thro some cocoa powder and melted chocolate in and make chocolate butter cream.

sweetcravings Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 22

Dummy cake would be a good idea if i had a storefront or somewhere to store it. I'm doing this out of my houses.
I really don't want to say exactly what recipe it is for fear of insulting the person who shared it. I value their work, and it's just a personal preference that i don't like the sweetness of it. It is basically a basic buttercream..icing sugar, crisco, vanilla flavor and milk. I didn't try adding salt yet, maybe i should give that a try. I can't do the almond extract as my son is severely allergic to nuts.
Thanks for the suggestions

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 22

You can add lemon extract and make lemon buttercream. Use it on lemon cake. It's really good and the lemon will cut the sweetness.

Or you could add seedless raspberry jam and use that as a filling. It goes great with lemon cake. (If your recipe is crusting, it won't be after you add the jam, at least mine wasn't.)

Make up those frosting tubes with your new flavor and store in the freezer. You can use it on cupcakes or for fillings whenever you need.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 22

if you are like me and have not a lot of storage options (darn cake toys LOL) I would either freeze it for options that others have said or just suck it up as a bad recipe and throw it away. BUT... let me tell you... a bc you might not like your customers might love... I'd try it.. ask a customer to try it for you and tell you what they think... if not chuck it or add more crisco or sugar and practice roses with... Or just use it for roses and let them air dry

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #11 of 22

Recently one of my batches of buttercream came out grainy. It didn't even taste like my normal recipe. I never did figure out why, I did everything the same. I didn't have the heart to through it out, but it all in the freezer, labeled well, now I have some good ideas what to do with it!

Sandi princess.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 22

I had this happen 2 weekends ago. Used a different kind of butter and voila--weird icing. No one wanted to eat it so we washed it down the sink...*sigh*

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 22

bake some chocolate chip cookies and use it for filling for sandwich cookies for the neighborhood kids. I guarantee it will go fast that way! icon_smile.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 22

I have a large batch of salty buttercream in my fridge. I use part margarine in my buttercream and I accidentally bought salted margarine. Yuck. Someone suggested I mix in my regular buttercream in to cut the saltiness. Turning it into chocolate is a good idea. If you use bittersweet cocoa or unsweetened cocoa it may cut the sweetness as well.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 22

Some good ideas wee already given but I was thinking to divide up to smaller batches color and put in freezer, then when you need some popular colors for flowers or such just pull it out. I do it with red and black all the time. Don't throw it out!!!!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #16 of 22

i would definately use it for filling!!! by adding to it....and don't forget when using it for filling perhaps the cake will break down the sweetness of the frosting/filling!!!!! good luck!!!!!!!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 22

i would definately use it for filling!!! by adding to it....and don't forget when using it for filling perhaps the cake will break down the sweetness of the frosting/filling!!!!! good luck!!!!!!!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 22

Very good ideas, I have some yuck bc at home that I tried form here to and I have not tossed it yet, it will be chocolate buttercream tonight!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 22

you can also fill some cupcakes with it too. Maybe a little extra batter? Make cupcakes and fill, kids will devour them no problem and even if an adult gets to one, in a cupcake as filling it's masked.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #20 of 22

Send it to me and I'll be waiting at the mailbox with my spoon!! icon_lol.gif

sweetcravings Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:12pm
post #21 of 22

Wow, you all came up with some great ideas..thanks. I love debster's idea of coloring the batter for flowers. I also love the idea of using it for filling cookies. You all are so creative. Thanks

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #22 of 22

practice with it... or save it and use it for fillings. if you add some salt maybe it wont be as sweet. but if you absoutley hate it and couldnt imagine eating it... then i would just mainly stick to practicing with it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%