Help.... We're Going To New York City!

Lounge By DarthLaurie Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm by Doug

DarthLaurie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

Okay I need a little help here! My husband has just suggested that on our holidays (starting this friday) maybe we should go to NYC for a few days with the kids (2 girls aged 11 & 7) if we could do it on the cheep. I'm so excited, I've always wanted to go there. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay and do that won't break the bank or suggestions on what to NOT miss seeing and ignoring the cost involved.
Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

7 replies
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 8

cheap to stay -- good luck , hit priceline and orbitz

cheap to do --

> double decker bus tours

> statue of liberty

> wall st.

> world trade memorial area

> all the museums -- esp. Natural Hist. & Hayden Planetarium (they're side by side)

>Free Shakespeare in the Park at the Delecourt Theater in Central Park (takes a most of day to about 1pm to stand on line for tkts and then show in evening)

>HINT -- combine show with museums and other Central Park attractions. stand on line for tkts in morning, then go straight out park to the WEST and you'll be at Natural Hist for afternoon (or one parent stands on line while other takes kids to museum and planetariumm, then supper in one of the restaurants right by the museum and then back into the park for the show. and, the Guggenheim and Museum of Art are straight out to the East. Easy to combine these with the free show.

also Central Park carousel, the boat house, Shakespeare Garden, Strawberry Fields (John Lennon) Memorial, Fort Clinton (up on hill behind theatre), Central Park Zoo, the books and art sellers along the East side of Central park

Window shopping at Tiffany's, Bloomingdales, Macy*s, FAO Schwarz

not to miss despite the price --

at least one Broadway Musical.
my favs:
The Lion King (GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Mary Poppins

(tho' I bet they'd want to see Little Mermaid -- gag!)

ccr03 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 8

first can I just say that I am JEALOUS!!! I went to NYC w/my bro two years ago and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!!! I can't wait to go back.

You can go the Statue of Liberty, WTC, Wall St. in the same day - they are all in the same area. Get your tix for the Staute of Liberty BEFORE you get there. THey are totally free, but it's on a first-come, first-serve basis and they go pretty fast.

Oh, try looking up TV shows in NYC. My bro and I had tix for the syndicated version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire (totally free), but they ended up cancelling the taping for the day we were going to be there and offered us tix for another day. Just fill out the request ahead of time.

OMG - walking, chilling, hanging at at Times Square - absorb the energy and vibe - it's awesome!! You'll see tons there.

Oh, also get a subway pass. It's like buy 5 rides, get one ride free type of thing. THe subway is super easy to figure out (although, if it weren't for my bro, I probably would have gotten lost icon_wink.gif ).

thecupcakemom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 8

You must hit Little Italy. There is a small restaurant there called "Luna." It is fabulous food, inexpensive. Part of the ambience is the schtick they put on yelling at each other. The floor is slanted, so it is fun to sit.

If you like sushi or want to try it for the first time, the corner of Columbus and 69th st LENGE. Great sushi...inexpensive. It is right around the corner (literally) from Lincoln Center.

Make sure you go to Rockefeller Center...not for the Today Show, but to see the beautiful area.

Another great restaurant is Patsy's. It was a huge hangout for Frank Sinatra. GREAT FOOD!! A little pricier, but worth every penny.

aoliveira Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of 8

With kids, Central Park Zoo. It's so much fun, not too big, there's also a children's zoo. Also in the Central Park area, the Metropolitan Museum on the East Side and the Museum of Natural History on the West Side. Both are must sees.

Check out Times Square. It's crowded and hectic, but definitely a NY postcard location. MTV's studios are right there too.

michellenj Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

Get a CityPass. That is discounted passes to a lot of the popular NYC attractions, like the Empire State Bldg. and Circle Line Tours, some museums and things like that. Hit the Museum of Modern Art if that is your thing, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and if you like to shop, you MUST go to Macy's Herald Square. Don't forget the American Girl store.

I would take the subway to Ground Zero, then walk up to Chinatown, Little Italy (right beside each other) and SoHo.

Mars 2112 is a space-themed restaurant that is so cool, and the kids would love it.

That is all I can think of now.

abbyg7 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 8

Oh lucky you, I love New York City. My husband is from that area, but we haven't been back for a couple of years since the rest of his family have moved to other areas of the country. I agree with everyone else on what to see, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Empire State Building and with kids Central Park. Also just window shopping and people watching. And you never know what celebrities you might see if you're into that. Last time we were there my husband and brother saw Gywneth Paltrow going into a building. I missed it though, I was too busy watching some guy stripping on the sidewalk.

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by abbyg7

Last time we were there my husband and brother saw Gywneth Paltrow going into a building. I missed it though, I was too busy watching some guy stripping on the sidewalk.

reminds me of when I lived in NYC and my nephew came for the summer.

we had just left the Empire State Bldg. and were crossing 5th Ave. when my nephew yelled out for me to look at.....

a photographer and a VERY skimpily clad knock-out model stopping traffic by having here lay, lounge on the hoods of taxis coming down the ave.

My reaction --- a bored Oh.

Me back to him--- Get used to it Wes, this is NYC -- perfectly normal! now get out of the street before you get run over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%