How I Got Unexpected Orders...lol

Decorating By cakegal Updated 15 Aug 2005 , 1:20pm by confectionaryperfection

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 25

I went to the place where we're going to be taking outdoor wedding pictures this Sat. and to break off the conversaton to get going I said...Well, I gotta get going.... I have to finish baking the wedding cakes...
This morning the guy that owns the property we're using for the wedding shoot calls me and orders a sheet cake for his wifes birthday....
I said what do you want on it...he said...Happy Birthday Honey... I asked what kind of decorations, flavor of cake, and he said he would leave that up to me...LOL....
Then I went to pay my son's football letterman jacket at a local company here where I live, because the football booster secretary works there....and when I walked in...I said....Excuse how I look....I've been baking wedding cakes all morning...lol...and her secretary says... I need a wedding cake to serve about 100 people for Dec. 31st.. her daughter is getting married... So I have that cake to do now... they'll call with flavor and colors later on...LOL..
Maybe I should excuse myself more often....LOL...
Well, that's my little story for the day..
Happy baking,
cakegal

24 replies
mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 25

Way to go thumbs_up.gif
I'm with you - drop that little line everywhere, girl!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 25

Lol... word of mouth works ... even if it's in the form of "excuse how I look" lol .. I'm so happy for you cakegal!!! congrats icon_smile.gif

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 25

Too cute! Good for you!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 25

Hey Cakegal,
that is a wonderful way to boost your business. Keep it up! and their word of mouth will help you a bunch too!
~Sweet~ =0)

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 25

We should sprinkle our clothes & faces with flour & excuse ourselves more often! You go cake girl!

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 25

THAT IS GREAT CAKEGAL! WORD OF MOUTH WORKS WONDERFUL. GOOD LUCK!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 25

If only everyone's cake orders came that easily!!! lol That's GREAT!! icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 25

I've dropped the "Oh I can't do it that day, I have to do a wedding cake" at my son's t-ball... got orders from that too! Congrats on your growing business!

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 25

That would be funny if we walked around with powder sugar all over us and colored icing on our shoes! I am going to hve to try one of those lines!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 25

LOL Very slick. icon_wink.gif

Do you think it would be too much if I stuck an icing spatula behind my ear? icon_lol.gif

This makes me think of the commercial - I think it's for rice krispy treats? - where the woman pretends she was slaving in the kitchen and throws some flour on herself before she takes the dessert out to her family. Was that rice krispies or have I been inhaling too much powdered sugar? icon_razz.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 25

Ironbaker, I got the visual and can't stop laughing!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:59am
post #13 of 25

Ironbaker, I know the commercial and I cannot for the life of me remember what the dessert was. Very funny though. icon_lol.gif

I started bringing my "calling card" (ie: business cards) with me when I go to the grocery store. When people see me standing in line with all the mixes, sugars, flour, etc they always ask the same question, "Baking something?" Of course, I would love to give a sarcastic answer icon_twisted.gif like, "No, I have a spaceship full of aliens visiting and they only eat sugar water and flour." but I smile and say yes, CAKES which leads to me giving them my card. icon_smile.gif

Very smooth Cakegal! I will have to remember to slip that in my conversation more. icon_smile.gif

bj icon_wink.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:15am
post #14 of 25

bj that absolutely was the rice krispies commercial. What a great way to get business!!! Go Cakegal!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:25am
post #15 of 25

Ironbaker, have you ever heard of Bill Engvall? He's one of those Blue Collar comedians (my favorite) who comes up with smart alec answers to dumb questions and then says "Here's your sign".... that's what you need to do!

Debbi

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

This makes me think of the commercial - I think it's for rice krispy treats? - where the woman pretends she was slaving in the kitchen and throws some flour on herself before she takes the dessert out to her family. Was that rice krispies or have I been inhaling too much powdered sugar? icon_razz.gif

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I suggested sprinkeling ourselves with flour! icon_lol.gif I tell ya, GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!! icon_wink.gif

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 25

Ironbaker: That was a Rice Krispies commercial. You haven;t inhaled too much powdered sugar....yet!

Congrats on drumming up your business, Cakegal.

Nothing beats word of mouth, well...except tasting!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 25

Good for you Cakegal! icon_smile.gif I think you've inspired a new fashion statement here, we're all going to be going out dressed in our best icing. LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif
I just re-did my 'calling card' a couple of days ago, it used to have a butterfly on it and a nice little quote. (I give them to Moms I meet at the park when my kids are playing with their kids) Now it has a big cake on it and it says "Celebrate every day!' I don't want to seem too pushy telling them I bake cakes right away, but I thought the cake pic might bring it up in conversation faster. ha ha. Maybe we need to get Jackie to make a t-shirt design that says "I'd rather be cake decorating" with what looks like splotches of frosting around it!! I would DEFINITELY buy at least one. icon_lol.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 25

Congratulations Cakegal...way to go thumbs_up.gif Keep wearing your powdered sugar proudly.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:48pm
post #20 of 25

Congratulations Cakegal...way to go thumbs_up.gif Keep wearing your powdered sugar proudly.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 25

LOL OK, thanks girls. My mind's not mush just yet.

I think I'll make a royal icing tank top this weekend. icon_razz.gif

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:08pm
post #22 of 25

Great idea!! party.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 4:34pm
post #23 of 25

Thats great, I'm not that out going to announce that i have cakes to do. I usually just say that i'm working.

Now the oddest place i got an order from was the post office. I ordered an agbay cake leveler. And when the post master saw the box she was so curious that she asked what it was. So then we got talking and i ended up with 2 cakes out of the deal and she said they were a big hit at her party.

Mind you we have a very small PO and so its quite easy to start chit chatting with the postmaster esepecially since she is by herself all day.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:57pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

Good for you Cakegal! icon_smile.gif I think you've inspired a new fashion statement here, we're all going to be going out dressed in our best icing. LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif
I just re-did my 'calling card' a couple of days ago, it used to have a butterfly on it and a nice little quote. (I give them to Moms I meet at the park when my kids are playing with their kids) Now it has a big cake on it and it says "Celebrate every day!' I don't want to seem too pushy telling them I bake cakes right away, but I thought the cake pic might bring it up in conversation faster. ha ha. Maybe we need to get Jackie to make a t-shirt design that says "I'd rather be cake decorating" with what looks like splotches of frosting around it!! I would DEFINITELY buy at least one. icon_lol.gif

I AM WITH YOU MOMSANDRAVEN. THAT WOULD BE A GREAT SHIRT. I WOULD BUY ONE TOO! MAYBE JACKIE WILL CONSIDER THIS.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 1:20pm
post #25 of 25

cool! great idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%