Who Hated Their Own Wedding Cake??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm by Jayde

fancyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancyface Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #31 of 80

Yeah can't say I cared for mine either, came as part of the package with the hall, was supposed to have burgundy scroll work with a fondant fabric type bow on the top.... sroll work looked like is was done with # 18 tip , pink underneth with purple overtop & they put a thin real ribbon instead ( wich just looked WRONG !)

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #32 of 80

My cake tasted great (it was an Italian wedding cake filled with custard and fresh strawberries) BUT it was butt ugly! My flowers were Tropicana roses and I wanted them replicated on the cake.
Oh yes they were! And VERY poorly done with a shaky hand!
Tropicana roses are vibrant red/orange. Those suckers glowed!
And my DH did smash cake in my face. Ugh!
27 years ago.....

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #33 of 80

Well, I don't remember much about my cake, but not too long ago I was watching my Wedding video and my cake was crooked/leaning to one side. I was not a decorator at the time and I didn't even notice it that day. Nobody else said anything either.

It's just funny that I decorate now and I freak out thinking that a Bride will see one little smudge in the buttercream and I didn't notice a leaning cake. Despite all the wonderful photos taken by the photographer, there is no full picture of the cake.

I do remember that it was delicious! There is no picture of the Groom's cake either, but it was tasty too. It was chocolate and my Hubby's fave, carrot cake.

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:03am
post #34 of 80

I remember that it was cherry chip and carrot in the different tiers, but if I didn't have pictures I wouldn't remember a thing about how it looked. I think it was ok tasting. And we had TONS left over.

In the pictures, it looks unattractive. I think we just gave her colors, the toppers (two identical ones, just in case one broke! Ceramic ones that I had painted for under $5 for both) and told her to do whatever.

Granted that burgundy is difficult to achieve, the pictures make the hot pink that she ended up with look really awful.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:07pm
post #35 of 80

I have to say that at that time I didn't care what my cake looked like, I had no input into design, shape, or cake flavor. I had wanted chocolate but my mother in law made it (and made it for free!) and "only fruit cake can be used for wedding cakes..." My mother in law was a "professional" cake decorator back in her day, which was about 30 years ago... She has no idea what fondant is and she no longer makes cakes because her vision is failing. That worked out for me since she gave me all her tips, which got me interested in decorating 4-5 years ago! icon_biggrin.gif

At the time I thought it was beautiful, now that I decorate cakes I still think it was nice, but not what I would have wanted! I hate fruit cake for starters, and it was covered with cheap fake flowers and plastic birds. BIRDS!!! LOL!

Luckily I was not a bridezilla.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #36 of 80

I actually had a guy come in and say how when he was young they had no money and had no wedding and now they're celebrating 25 years and want the dream wedding cake and wedding that they never had. Isn't that so sweet???

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #37 of 80

We didn't have a wedding cake persay..

I had picked one up at the local IGA and (sheetcake) and had them write "The Wedding Cake" on top of it.. it was funny... we got married at City Hall and in a days notice.. but when we have our 15 year anniversary I'm gonna try my hand at our REAL "wedding cake" (Maybe LOL)

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I'm just really relieved and delighted that I was not reading about myself in any of the previous I hate my cake posts. icon_redface.gif I mean I have laid my fair share of stinkin rotten egg cakes.

Ooh we should have a thread about the worst cakes we ever did. Glory, it would dwarf the cupcake thread in nothing flat.

Guess none of my brides went into cakin' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

actually, there is a thread around here somewhere with the WORST cakes. a melting russian and his jaba-the-hut mermaid bride were in the running for worst cakes last time i checked.... HA - you'll have to find the thread to understand LOL i'll see if i can find it and post the link

LOL and barney-with-mysterious-red-thing-in-hand and the cakes decorated by people who didn't know what they were doing... i think the thread was lost, though? maybe it's still readable but not postable? i really don't know...

Christi, here's your motivation to practice wedding cakes. icon_smile.gif come on... you can do it...

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:13am
post #39 of 80

I got married in December and my husband's stepfather's aunt....geesh....was suppose to make the cake (not for free) 3 tiers, white, chocolate, and strawberry. 2-3 weeks before the wedding she calls and cancels because she has walking pneumonia (I didn't realize it lasted that long). I was forced to go on a cake hunt and by that point everyone was booked, too expensive, or closed for the holidays so I ended up at.......Publix. Yes Publix. They couldn't do a strawberry cake only a filling that was terrible. I left the book with them with specific instructions to use BUTTERcream icing and to have it there by 5 pm. The wedding started at 6 and the cake was still not there. My sister missed most of the ceremony because she was trying to get the cake in and when it finally got there we cut into a dry white cake with a grainy BETTERcream icing. I hate that stuff. The lady that was suppose to make the cake was there and serving the grooms cake.....needless to say I was miffed.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #40 of 80

My wedding cake was exactly what I wanted...and soooooo delicious. Just a little sweaty... icon_biggrin.gif

rebekahjohnson81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebekahjohnson81 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #41 of 80

SugarMama - I LOVE those figures on that cake!! where did you get them?!?

On topic though, i liked my wedding cake, it was DELICIOUS and very pretty, but it was a design i picked out of a book. if i had the budget (my entire wedding cost $1000 and it was so nice - i'm very proud of that fact) i would have tried to get a more personalised cake. still though, it was very lovely.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #42 of 80

My cake wasn't too important to me at my wedding... funny considering how important it is now! I found a lady that was recomended to me by my cousin. i went for a tasting, I should have known she wasn't too experienced. She only had a few pictures of her work and a ton of pictures of cakes from magazines. I picked out a simple one. I wanted a plain white cake with red roses on the top. she never asked me fondant or buttercream... I didn't know anything about fondant and when I took my first bite with my husband I had a huge hunk of fondant shoved in my mouth. It was horrible! It was a very tiny intimate wedding and we all looked around at each other trying to figure out what this awful chewy stuff was on the cake. I called her afterwards and she said "I thought you knew fondant was the only way to get a smooth white cake?" I wish I had spent more time researching my cake beforehand! Soooo sorry to hear you were disappointed in your cake too : ( It's tough to get over.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:20am
post #43 of 80

I liked my cake, it was basically what I ordered. Although the ribbon wasn't quite right, and the tiers weren't as tall as I had envisioned they would be. This was way before I started decorating.

The lady that did my cake was a friend of my mom's that did them basically for friends at cost, and it was delicious. I remember I had two pieces that night, and the anniversary tier was really good too.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #44 of 80

Twenty-five years ago when we got married....

Doesn't that make me old?

I paid for almost all of the wedding, and I had only been out of college a couple of months, still job hunting! So we did the best we could with a very small budget and almost 200 guests. I knew better than to even window shop with more expensive cake designers. I found a very small local shop with a sweet baker and very reasonable prices.

My dream cake, at that time, was basketweave. icon_wink.gif That might have been 25 cents more per serving, so I couldn't choose that. I don't recall there being any flavor options either. White cake, or the more expensive pound cake, which most of my friends were going with then. I THINK what I picked out was little royal icing daisies. But what happened was as we were headed out the door for the rehearsal, my decorator called. The topper I had dropped off earlier that week? Well, there was no way it would go with the design I had chosen. At that point, I didn't care one bit what my cake design was. I said, you know best, and went out the door.

The cake was beautiful, just not what I had originally chosen. She was absolutely right about my cake topper. The cake was so good that we froze the 8 inch top only for 9 days and had it for my 22nd birthday cake. I can still remember how delicious it was. Her secret? Duncan Heinz. That's why I use DH to this day. icon_smile.gif

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #45 of 80

i hated mine... it came from publix... enough said. icon_evil.gif

for starters it was crooked... and before we got to cut it the topper fell off. it didnt even taste good. i didnt even eat a piece of it... thumbsdown.gif

heres a pic, sorry if quality is bad
LL

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:20pm
post #46 of 80

i hated mine... it came from publix... enough said. icon_evil.gif

for starters it was crooked... and before we got to cut it the topper fell off. it didnt even taste good. i didnt even eat a piece of it... thumbsdown.gif

heres a pic, sorry if quality is bad
LL

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #47 of 80

Today is our 39 year wedding anniversary and I have to say I don't really remember my wedding cake. I have one picture of us cutting it. It had plastic columns and swans and real daisies. I don't remember eating any of it, but I imagine it was good. It came from the bakery in the little strip mall behind the chapel we were married in Santa Ana, CA. There was a flower and tux shop there too. You got special prices for using these shops. It was a great deal because we didn't have to run all over pricing stuff. I got my beautiful dress on sale at JC Penney's for about $90. I wasn't too particular. I was moving to Kansas to be a farm wife and that was more important to me I guess. I want a reception next year for our 40th. I want my kids and sisters to make the arrangements and I'll make the cake. 40 years is a dang long time!!! LOL

This is a fun topic. It's interesting to hear what emphasis people put on their wedding cakes. My outlook has always been make it as beautiful as possible, look at it for a while, snap some pics and then let's cut the sucker and eat it. It's the desert not the marriage. I'll be watching this thread for a while for more stories.
I LOVE GOOD CAKE!!!

NickiKR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickiKR Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #48 of 80

Our wedding cake was okay. It is all mini-cakes with a 6" topper decorated with red roses and holly. The cakes were gorgeous, but the stand we rented to display them was white plastic and it was ugly. It really took away from the overall look.

And it was okay tasting. Not great. The filling was yummy, but the actual cake was kinda dull.

However, in the big picture, the cake played a very small role. We had a very small, intimate gathering of 25 of our closest famly and friends. It was a morning ceremony follwed by a delicious brunch. The day was glorious with or without the cake.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #49 of 80

This is a fun thread! I am sorry for all of you who hated your wedding cake! My husband and I eloped to the Florida Keys in April, 2005 for our wedding. I called up a wedding coordinator, and she handled everything for all of $350! My dress was $300! So it was inexpensive to say the least! icon_biggrin.gif Which is totally up my alley! Anyway, I've always LOVED to eat cake, just started decorating cakes within the past year or so, and the coordinator said she knew someone who was going to do the cake. I didn't even ask what it would look like. I don't think I had a choice. I could pick white, chocolate or Key lime. I picked Key lime, and it was SOOOOOOO YUMMY! I was so happy that day (thinking about it could get me teary-eyed), and when they brought my cake out, I took about 80 pictures of it, and raved about how beautiful my wedding cake was! I just found a pic of it, and really, I don't remember it looking this way !! haha I remembered it exquisitely beautiful! Funny how that works! I still look at it and smile, though. I still think it's beautiful, even though compared to Mommyle's beachy cake, it pales in comparison! hahaha

Oh - I was 4 mos preggie at the time, and between me and my husband, we ate the entire cake in a matter of 2 days (no lie)! We had it replicated here for our first anniversary and ate the anniversary tier in 1 day! hahaha
LL

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #50 of 80

Too funny! I LOVED my wedding cake (2nd and last marriage)!! My MIL was soo happy to finally have us getting married (after 8 years) that she planned the whole thing (plus I was moving from AZ to WA a week before the wedding). We did it with a 1500 budget icon_lol.gif The funny thing is it was beautiful but I wasn't icon_cry.gif !!!! In all the packing I forgot to tan my shoulders for the dress so I had a two tone tan thing going on with my shoulders which made them look like quarterback shoulders (or should that be lineman?) and I got my eyebrows waxed at the mall and they totally screwed them up so I had to hide them with my bangs (yuck)and I would have hired a prof photographer. BUT, the wedding was beautiful and the cake was marvelous (we ordered extra because we knew we wanted to eat it for days after icon_razz.gif ) My MIL is still on cloud nine, she has one more to marry off, very handsome, no kids...any takers???

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 7:50pm
post #51 of 80

My wedding cake was so ugly I almost cried.

I actually have no memory of what design I chose. I do know that I wouldn't have chosen something....gaudy and ugly. I booked with the first bakery I had a tasting with, because I was a working mom and had no other time to do it except lunch break. It was actually a bakery known for cheesecakes (we had a cheesecake groom's cake) so maybe I should have known better. The cake was executed well, but the design was just...heinous. Giant pink buttercream borders(??? what ARE those things on top????) with clashing pink buttercream roses. I was embarrassed and humiliated, but I tried to pretend that everything was fine. When I started doing wedding cakes I vowed to myself to never make a bride feel the way I felt that day.

The bakery in question has long since gone out of business. icon_razz.gif
LL

JMarieSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMarieSweets Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #52 of 80

We had 2 cakes. Married in Vegas and the "chapel" doing the wedding provided a cake. The lady brought it in and said "Its a real wedding cake!" It was a tiny thing from a grocery store and not very good.

A couple months later we had a reception for family and friends and my mother made the cake. I loved that one and it was so nummy. The fact that my mom took the time and love to do that made it even more special

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #53 of 80

kelleym- omg... that cake is the gaudiest i've ever seen. it looks like something that came out of the golden girls. lol.. i bet it tasted good though. it has about 40 lbs. of icing- just in the borders- icon_biggrin.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #54 of 80

You guys are scaring me! Maybe I DO want to make my own cake, at least then I'm the one in control of all the disasters.

adamt01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamt01 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #55 of 80

I MUST put mine on here too. It's pretty bad. Honestly, I didn't care what the cake, or anything else for that matter, looked like. My mother planned this wedding, and me? I was madly in love and nothing really mattered. How I regret that.

I remember choosing this design from either a 2000-2001 Wilton book. Maybe somebody has this book for comparison...and maybe my memory is foggy, but I remember the picture looking so much prettier in the book.

So I went to this little shop that recently opened (they're closed now, of course) and told her what I wanted. Yes, the ugly topper was my choosing. I suppose she wanted to match the ugly topper and gave me the tuk-n-ruffle. Lucky me. And what's up with those bright green leaves poking out everywhere?!?! It was disgusting. Nasty. Dry. You get the picture...

SO, here's the disaster!!

This cake was a result of many, MANY bad decisions. How I'd change EVERYTHING if I could. Maybe a vow renewal should be in the works. icon_smile.gif

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #56 of 80

I really didn't hate my cake. It was a four tier heart shaped cake. 24 years ago and bought at a bakery. My fiance and I went into the bakery, were handed a book of cakes and asked which one we wanted. I picked out my favourite and was asked if I wanted a dummy cakes. I told her I wanted all real. She asked me which flavour. Didn't offer any variety so I just said vanilla. She asked me when the wedding date was and the place. Asked for payment in full and that was it.

When we arrived at reception, the cake was beautiful. When my husband and I went to cut a part of it to give to each other, I realized I couldn't cut through it (the cake board prevented us from doing so). I was never told anything about this and didn't know a thing abouts cakes then. Through clenched teeth and as the photographer was snapping pictures, I told my husband "there is cardboard in there and I can't cut it". We did the best we could to pretend we were cutting it but didn't get to share any cake with each other. I didn't bother to contact the bakery. The next day my mom told me the cake was real but that the bakery had put the icing on top of the cardboard so people were just eating cake with no icing. Most of it went into the garbage.

That was after my wedding dress had beads missing on it when I picked it up the day before my wedding. My mom and I had to rush out to buy beads at a department store to fix it as when I realized it, it was too late to complain to the bridal shop.

All in all we had a beautiful wedding and when we came back from our honeymoon, those things just didn't matter anymore to me. We are still happily married today.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #57 of 80

when I got married 100 years ago (1979) it was UNHEARD of to have chocolate cake with white icing! But it was my favorite and I wanted chocolate cake with white icing for my wedding cake! My mom had already worked out a deal with this bakery (they did ALL the cakes for caterer we were using) and I had to FIGHT with the baker that I wanted chocolate cake! I also didnt want a bride and groom on top, I wanted something DIFFERENT! haha! I guess I was ahead of my time.

I did get my chocolate cake with white icing..it was the typical 70s cake with white swags and lots and lots of buttercream edging and pillars. You know what I mean! And I had doves on top! Really tacky doves.

I don't remember what it tasted like. We had our little bite and then were pulled away to do something else and I never got a piece. I tell my brides to have someone save you some cake, some food, and put it in a box and have it read to go into the limo or hotel room, as you won't get to eat ANYTHING! hahaha!

The oddest cake I ever had was at my brothers wedding in the mid 80s...they cut the cake and then it was wisked off..I have always loved cake and we were anxiously waiting for a piece! Out came these bowls of raspberry stuff (I wasn't sure what it was) that they had poured over these broken up peices of cake!!! It was AWFUL. I thought the cake had fallen apart or something, but my brother told me it was done on purpose, that is how they ordered it. YECK. What a waste of cake!

I am curious to hear how much people paid for thier cakes! (I think mine was 150 dollars which was a HUGE amount of money back then!)

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #58 of 80

My wedding cake was a disaster.

I ordered peach lilies, on that old floating tiers stand (it was 1991, that was popular then). I told the cake lady repeatedly that I wanted peach, not pink. I told her if she was going to err, err on the orange/coral side, my wedding was not pink, I was afraid of pink. I specifically asked if she could make lilies, and did she have that stand. Yes, and yes.

God bless my sister, who told me before my wedding "Just remember, whatever goes wrong, because something will go wrong, smile. Your guests do not know that this is not just what you ordered." Good thing.

When I walked into my reception and saw my cake covered with pink roses, that was all my mind heard. "Smile, Julie, the guests do not know that this is not just what you wanted."

I actually had a lot of compliments on my cake, but it was just so not what I wanted. I did not ask for any kind of money back, though. We ate that cake and went on our honeymoon.

I have no pictures of that cake. LOL After the years that followed, I destroyed any pictures from my wedding, when I happily divorced that man!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #59 of 80

I was so dumb when it came to my wedding cake. I had no clue how important it was *supposed* to be. I budgeted only $100 for the cake (stupid me!!) and I was perfectly happy going to the grocery store for it. I had no clue there were actual BAKERIES who would do this sort of thing.

So I got a 3-tier grocery store cake. Single layers, no tortes. BC icing and decorations, with fucia pink and navy blue roses.

I cringe every time I see a pic of it.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahjohnson81

SugarMama - I LOVE those figures on that cake!! where did you get them?!?

We have an art walk downtown on the first Friday of every month and a vendor was selling these. My husband bought them for me and it was his idea! I just chose to put them on the bottom tier, rather than the top, because I liked those spiky pink flowers so much. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%