Who Hated Their Own Wedding Cake??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm by Jayde

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 80

I DID!! icon_evil.gif

This was prior to me decorating cakes or I would have done my own! My cake was a simple white cake that was supposed to have black scrolls all over the cake with some fresh red roses on top.

Now this darn cake looked like the bottom tier had camping tents on it and the rest looked like bats flying around. Think about the shape of those things and that's what she called "scrolls" on my cake. Now I am usually what I consider to be a person with some kind of class, but when I walked into the reception and saw that cake - I said out loud "is that the ugliest F@#***ing cake you've ever seen??" IT JUST POPPED OUT!! What an idiot I was....but how darn ugly it was! I mean these days you can use a scroll press even if you're not good at your own scroll work. For someone who had been doing cakes for years she should know that a scroll has no 90 degree angles!!

Even the flowers on top were wrong....well, not really wrong, but they had this awful doily coming out of the roses. I could see if I described the cake and that was her take on it, but I gave her a cake pic that was an 8x10 picture!! Ugh....and this was from the lady who everyone loved her cakes!

The flavor was good...the look...well horrible!!

Here's what it was supposed to look like, except with the scrolls all over the cake...sorry, I don't have pics online of what the actual cake looked like - trust me from a fellow CC'r that this was HORRIBLE! icon_mad.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakechic/1348238645/

79 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 80

My cake for my second wedding was fabulous and I loved it...of course, I made it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif LOL!!

My first wedding cake was another story. The cake itself was okay, but the flowers on it were horrible!!!! I had written on everything with the cake lady and the florist -- NO CARNATIONS, No carnations, No carnations!! Everyone who had anything to do with my wedding (or who knows me now!) knows how very much I dislike carnations. Boy was I surpised when I walked into my reception and my cake had carnations on all six satellite cakes. It looked horrible!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 80

I absolutely hated my cake!! If you squinted your eyes very tight and stood on the opposite side of the room, I guess it may have had a "slight" resemblance to the cake I ordered. When I first walked into the room and saw the it, I was stunned. I was so embarrassed to think that someone might look at the cake and actually think I picked that ugly thing out...or that I liked it! I wanted to move the cake into another room so no one would see it, but my mom talked me out of it. icon_cry.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 80

ha! my grandmother made this tiny loaf size cake with that topper where the groom is running and the bride is grabbing his collar and that was better than the cake I ordered! I was really embarassed!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 80

Grandma's are the best aren't they!!!!!

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 80

I liked my cake, my mother, on the other hand, did not. One of my bridesmaids did my cake. It looked great, the right colors and everything. HOWEVER . . . . she didn't dowel correctly nor did she put cake boards/circles between the layers. An hour before the wedding someone alerts my mom (who is already a wreck) that the top of the cake is slidding off. (This is July 5th and it's HOTTER than hades in the church, even with the air conditioning going) My mom swoops in takes the top layer of the cake off and improvises with left over flowers . . . . . and TADA! Amazing result. I wouldn't have been able to do it without her!! Anyway, the last dowel (the longest one that keeps the whole cake standing up) was not long enough, and let me tell you the big mess that was made trying to cut it. It tasted really good though. . . . . so it could have been worse. icon_biggrin.gif

postcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postcakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 80

Very funny to come across this topic because since I became obsessed with cake decorating (of course, all these amazing cake visions are still in my mind and have yet to actually materialize) I get so annoyed, angry actually, when I think of my wedding cake! Sooo not what I specifically requested, complete with color photos. Oh well, live and learn. That would be a definite "do-over" as far as my wedding goes (groom also, but that is another story....)

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 80

I hated my cake too! I was also before my days of cake decorating. I wanted tiny dots and small borders on it, and she might as well have taken M&M's and put them all over my cake... at least some pearls would have been nice! icon_biggrin.gif My mom knew the lady and she was paying for it, so she ordered it for me, which probably was the biggest mistake! I gave her a picture, but she didn't get it. And then, the flowers that were to go on my cake were dead the morning of my wedding, so that was another fiasco... oh my... hopefully I won't ruin someone's wedding cake memories!

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 80

I can see why people do not like their wedding cakes.... mostly when the people making then do not listen to what you "the bride" wants.

But.....

I loved, loved my wedding cake.... my Mom made it for me and it was perfect! We had a Fairy Wedding and she made three floating cakes, had the stands made to look like crystal, she covered the cakes in fondant and did almost like a stucco look with the disco dust, place fresh beautiful flowers on top and had a fairy that model each one of my children sitting on top of each cake.... It was BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT! I loved it!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 80

I didn't hate mine, but it was soooo tiny. I have made birthday cakes bigger! It was three tiers, I'm guessing a 6, 8 and 10, but it was short. I was expecting a tall cake, and it was I guess about 9 inches tall or so. Two layers each.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 80

I can see why people do not like their wedding cakes.... mostly when the people making then do not listen to what you "the bride" wants.

But.....

I loved, loved my wedding cake.... my Mom made it for me and it was perfect! We had a Fairy Wedding and she made three floating cakes, had the stands made to look like crystal, she covered the cakes in fondant and did almost like a stucco look with the disco dust,
place fresh beautiful flowers on top and had a fairy that model each one of my children sitting on top of each cake.... It was BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT! I loved it!

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 80

I loved my cake it was all ivory with polka dot piped on. Except I didn't even think at the time to add flowers. Mine were gerber daisies which would've looked so cute. But I wasn't a decorator yet, so I didn't even think about it. Now going back on it now, it looks sooooo naked.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 80

I didn't hate my cake really. This was before I got into decorating so I really didn't have a clue what I wanted and I was a little overwhelmed with all of the pictures in her book to choose from so I just picked one! lol I'm a dork I know. Oh well, live and learn!! Jessieb that cake you picked was Gorgeous!!!! Would have loved to have had THAT cake!

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 80

I got married at 19, I had no idea how to plan a wedding so I didn't. I let my mom and MIL plan the whole thing, I picked the colors, my dress and the bridesmaids dresses and that was it. My wedding cake was made by my MIL (not a perfessional cake decorator). It turned out alright, I liked it at the time. It was a basic 3 tiered cake, with white buttercream (not perfectly smooth) and real pink roses on it. Like I said I liked it at the time, but now I see the wedding cakes on here and wish my husband and I could married all over again so I could have one of those cakes icon_rolleyes.gif .
Heck I would like to get married to my hubby again so I could plan the whole wedding, this time in my vision. icon_rolleyes.gif

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 80

Hi,
When I got married, having a cake wasn't that important to me. Shocking isn't it? In fact, my dh picked out the cake. The entire cake was a dummy cake that we rented. We had a plain white with custard filling and bc icing as a kitchen cake that was served.

What was I thinking?????

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 80

My cake was fine but somewhere along the way my MIL decided to make a groom's cake. Chocolate angel food with grapes on top???? I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be and asked my dh if the grapes spelled something in braille! For our 25th, I'll make the cake!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 80

I was so excited when I ordered my cake. I had a gal make it who had won the cover of the Wilton Yearbook 3 times (this was 10 yrs ago). So I thought, GREAT, I am in good hands and the cakes will be beautiful... WRONG!!!! I ordered a small 3 tier and a sheet cake. The 3 tier was to be white with red roses and black accents (our colors were very formal: black, white and red) and the sheet cake was to look like my bridal boquet laying on top. When the cake arrived, it had dirt and lint all over it, YUCK!!! AND it was white, orange and gray!!! She decorated it in a hurry that morning and did not let her colors set to get a true red and black. And the sheet cake looked like tumble weeds on top, did not resemble a boquet of any sort!!! Unfortunately the photographer was too good and the colors look perfect in the photos. The only good thing...it tasted great!! How she won the Wilton cover 3 times is beyond me!!!

Oh well, at least I have "funny" story regarding my wedding cake to pass on to others, and we are still happily married and more in love than ever before!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #18 of 80

I LOVED my cake. Getting it was the hastle!!!

We were getting married in PV, Mexico, on the beach, totally fairy-tale, and my mom was in charge of everything (which was PERFECT as she has been dying for me to follow thru on a wedding, long story, and we have pretty much the exact same taste in most areas, you learn what you live). So we were doing white everything with white and silver pinatas, and palm leaves under the plates, and we had sea shell chocolates in sea shell heart shaped boxes, and white maraccas as favors, and everything was perfect. And I wanted a 3 tier white cake with white sea shell chocolates and white RI "coral". So I bought the perfect chocolates from a shop in FLORIDA (look beside my name, I'm in Calgary Alberta Canada!), which were shipped to my work, because someone had to sign for them and they had to stay refridgerated, and had to be there 2 days before we left for the wedding, and I was bringing bags of pre-made RI down with me because the cake lady had never used it before, and the plane was delayed 2 hours with me and chocolates on the plane, and we were SWELTERING in the plane, and did I mention that I was carrying my dress and they wouldn't let me hang it in the first-class closet because i'm not in first class, and I REALLY needed a drink!!!

But all was well in the end. It was an amazing cake. And an amazing day!
LL

athompson0525 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athompson0525 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 80

I loved my cake. My mom made it. Since I got married three days before Christmas she made it to look like presents. For each of set up they were all satellite cakes. If hubby and I ever decide to renew...I'd make the cake and this time use fondant.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm
post #20 of 80

I got married 8 yrs ago (at 19) and was just concerned about doing things inexpensively for my folks. My cake came from the big-W super store and I had to drive 1 hour (1 way) in the humid NC summer to pick it up that morning. Needless to say, my ORANGE bc cabbages, I mean, roses wilted. Don't ask why I had orange flowers...ORANGE!!!??? And my mom bought 2 little dollar store ceramic teddy bears (bride and groom) which she stuck on as the topper. Good thing I didn't really care at the time but when I look back at it, I think "How juvenile and tacky!!"

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:25pm
post #21 of 80

I couldn't even tell you what my cake looked like. I don't know if I even have a picture of us cutting the cake. I don't even know if we did cut the cake. I remember having the "If you squish the cake in my face the marriage is over" talk with my husband, and I didnt' get cake in my face. Can you tell I got married 23 years ago, and before I started doing cakes?

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #22 of 80

mommyle, your cake did turn out beautifully!

My hubby and I eloped, and didn't even have cake! Can you imagine??? I don't know what I was thinking! icon_smile.gif
We're thinking of a 10 year renewal of our vows, so maybe we'll have a huge cake then!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #23 of 80

I HATED my cake!!!! My mom was trying to NOT let me see it but obviously I did! I had ordered a cake that was stacked in the center and about 4 other cakes on separate stands all ivory with burgundy accents and this really pretty border of pearls around the MIDDLE of each cake and swags on the side.Anyhow .......I ended up recieving a White cake with sloppy sloppy purple swags and pink roses made out of frosting,It was the tackiest frickin thing icon_cry.gif and I was just thinking to myself what if people think I ACTUALLY ordered this thing!At the time I had never done a cake,or I would have done my own.

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #24 of 80

I hated it! Besides the fact that is was very dry, it looked nothing like it was supposed to look like. It was dreadful! You know what though, it serves me right! This was before I knew anything about cakes or the time and skill involved in making them. I didn't do my research and I didn't want to pay a lot for cake then. After all, cake is just flour and water, right? As a result of my ignorance, I got a substandard cake that I was not pleased with! The good news is that I have since developed a better understanding and respect for this art and promise never to deliver a substandard cake to anyone!

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #25 of 80

Hated my cake...I thought it was really tacky looking. The worst part was that I knew it would look tacky. Even if they had gotten the colors right (which they didn't), it STILL would have looked tacky. I let my DH pick out the cake. We were arguing soooo much in the bakery about what type of cake to get as I wanted a totally different style. Another customer actually walked up to us and suggested that we should get both cakes...that is how much we were arguing. Anyway, I got so fed up with the situation that I told him to pick whatever he wanted. I figured maybe it wouldn't be so bad. This is years before I started decorating...so yes, I was a clueless bride when it came to cake. We are going to do a 10 year vow renewal...guess who will NOT be picking out the cake design? icon_wink.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #26 of 80

We eloped. I have a hard time convincing myself that wedding are important. Though I LOVE all the pretty decorations, the food, dressing up, cake... I just have a hard time telling people that it's IMORTANT.

Anyhow, 6 months after our eloping we threw a reception for everyone to join us, we got a *gasp* walmart cake, I don't know what it looked like, I think it was 3 satellite tiers. lol. I did not care! I can tell you that we had a keg of yeung ling though icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #27 of 80

we eloped, so initially we had no wedding cake.. i'm not even sure we went out to dinner that night LOL. anyway, for our 1st anniversary we had a small wedding in my mom's backyard. at the time, i thought the cake was pretty, it was a simple bc 2tiered round cake w/bc roses. i do remember it didn't taste very good (kind of dry). however, i recently saw pictures of it and who every put the tiers together (columns) got them crooked (i think this might have been my mom) and tried to wiggle them - in my pictures, it looks like there is a big hole in the cake where the column went. the cake was nothing spectacular. we're celebrating 13 yrs this year and have been talking about renewing our vows for our 15th in 2 yrs and having our boys be part of the ceremony - one thing is for sure, either i or someone i KNOW makes great tasting and great looking cakes will be making the cake this time around AND i'll get what i really want, not what my mother wants.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #28 of 80

I'm just really relieved and delighted that I was not reading about myself in any of the previous I hate my cake posts. icon_redface.gif I mean I have laid my fair share of stinkin rotten egg cakes.

Ooh we should have a thread about the worst cakes we ever did. Glory, it would dwarf the cupcake thread in nothing flat.

Guess none of my brides went into cakin' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #29 of 80

My cake was really beautiful...but it was not the one I had requested. I don't know why but I ended up with pink AND blue roses. I don't even remember asking for anything blue! It was done by a friend and she gave me a terrific discount, so I can't really complain! A year later when we had the top tier, we were very fortunate that my aunt had prepared it well for the freezer. It was awesome, so that made up for all those blue roses!

Sandi princess.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I'm just really relieved and delighted that I was not reading about myself in any of the previous I hate my cake posts. icon_redface.gif I mean I have laid my fair share of stinkin rotten egg cakes.

Ooh we should have a thread about the worst cakes we ever did. Glory, it would dwarf the cupcake thread in nothing flat.

Guess none of my brides went into cakin' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

actually, there is a thread around here somewhere with the WORST cakes. a melting russian and his jaba-the-hut mermaid bride were in the running for worst cakes last time i checked.... HA - you'll have to find the thread to understand LOL i'll see if i can find it and post the link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%