Where Do I Get The Metal Wire Sticks That You Put Stars/flow

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 3:48am by sugarflour2

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 14

Where can I buy the metal/wire looking string/stick things that I see on so many of all of your cakes...they have flowers or star at the top of the them and they let the stars/flowers hang off or stick out of the cake...i am doing a hannah montana cake tomorrow and want to make stars sticking out of the cake and am not for sure where to get the things to hold the stars....thanks!

April :0)

13 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 14

Wal-Mart in the craft section and Micheals the lower the # the heavier the thickness is i use 18 or 20 gauge,

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 14

i found mine at michael's in the fake plants/flower section, I think they are used for flowers, corsages, etc.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 14

Like everyone said, Walmart or Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

When you stick them in the cake use a coffee stir stuck in the cake, then stick the wire in that.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 14

At Michaels...I use the 20 gauge...

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 14

I just used some to attach bumblebees to a pooh cake... found it in Michael's in the floral section. Mine was 26 guage (it was pretty thin), and I wrapped it around a sharpie to get the spiral/corkscrew look.

The one's I have seen look like this and comes green or silver (not sure if there are other colors):

http://www.afloral.com/Floral-Supplies/Tools-Floral-Wire-Grapevine-Wreaths/Paddle-Wire-24-GAUGE

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Like everyone said, Walmart or Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

When you stick them in the cake use a coffee stir stuck in the cake, then stick the wire in that.

I always just stick them in... why the coffee stir stick?

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 14

They are not food safe. That's why you should stick them in a coffee stirrer or a straw. You never know how metal will react to your ingredients. Also, for some, if not all cake shows, they deduct points for putting wire straight into the cake.

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #9 of 14

This is probably a dumb question but how do you make the starts to attach to the wires? Are they fondant or royal iceing? I'm guessing you let them dry hard. Are there directions for these anywhere?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #10 of 14

I buy 'Londy wire' it comes in all colors & is very pretty, you get thin & thick, I get mine at Ben Franklyns crafts, Michaels should carry it I have a 4th of July cake I amde last year with stars, I will post it so you can see. I use sugarpaste & stick the wire in carefully, you can also twirl them around a pencil or something to make spirals.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:17am
post #11 of 14

I don't know how to post a picture here, the cake is in my photo's if you want to take a look.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:19am
post #12 of 14

I use cloth covered floral wire or stainless steel wire and stick it directly into the cake (if Ron Ben Israel or Cynthia Peithman can stick wires into their cakes without a straw, then that's good enough for me! LOL)

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:35am
post #13 of 14

There was another post today about attaching the fondant stars, pearls, etc to make sure they don't slide around on the wire. One CCer said to heat the end of the wire before sticking it in the fondant. I haven't tried that. I used gum glue and had to wait forever for the stars to dry onto the wire. I also had to do a star front and back before it would stop sliding so I can't wait to try the heated wire trick!

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #14 of 14

with the straws or coffee stirers, do you stick them into the cake and then stick the wire down in them. I did a cake with stars on it last week and I used the smallest coffee stirrers I could find, but the wires were swinging around in the stirrers. How do you keep them from moving around?

Also, when it was time to cut the cake, I had a million stirrers sticking into the cake and it was a mess trying to get them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%