Gumpaste Flowers, Where To Start?

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 3:13am by bizatchgirl

akgirl10 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 6

I'd like to play around with gumpaste and try my hand at flowers.
Any suggestions on some simple flowers to start with?

5 replies
LeanneW Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

I would start with flowers that you can make with the tools you already have. Check out Tonedna's you tube tutorial on the calla lilly, she uses a heart cookie cutter. You likely already have one or get get one easily.

GP cutters and veiners can be quite an investment, I would give the calla lilly a try and see if you want to buid up a tool box of GP tools and cutters. Once you know the basics you can make any flower and having teh right tools makes all the difference in the world.

I have never taken Wilton's GP class but that might be a good place to start, they cover a couple of types of flowers and the class set is inexpensive.

Be sure to post the pics and have fun.

akgirl10 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, I think I will try out the lily. I have the wilton set of green cutters, which I know aren't great. I just bought the new tool set (yay coupon!) so I thought I'd try a flower or two.

superstar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 6

If you have those Wilton cutters, pick a simple flower (like apple blossoms) & follow the instructions in the book, it is a good way to start & Edna's (Tonedna) tutorial is very easy for a beginner to follow, Cala lilies are very easy to make.

calynmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #5 of 6

I just started with that set also and I found it to be easier than I thought. I've only done the simple flowers and am working up the nerve to do ones where you use petal dust.

Just keep practicing ! It does get easier.

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #6 of 6

Wiltons quit doing the GP flower class in my area. They only do the Fondant and Gumpaste which doesn't spend a lot of time on flowers icon_cry.gif You're so lucky if you still have that option in your area. Aine2 from CC and donnalene626 have some GP rose videos on youtube. The GP rose just uses the plastic 5 petal cutter. I think you can get that set for under $3.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%