Doubling/ Tripling Cake Recipes

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm by valerie01

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone doubled or tripled a recipe and it turns out fine. I've tried doing this, and I find the recipe gets weird, or tastes like there is too much baking soda etc..

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 6

Never had this problem. I have all my recipes written on tables with the measurements all laid out from 1x up to 5x the recipe so I can scale out with just a glance. The recipe isn't changing, so the result should either. Sorry I'm not much help lol.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 6

I've heard it depends on the recipe used.
I've doubled my scratch recipes without any problems.

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

Doubling is usually fine but trippling is always tricky. Most of my recipes are fine doubled but when I tried to tripple all sorts of weirdness occured. Too salty, flat and uncooked in the middle. The relationship between salt, whatever you are using as a levening agent and the rest of the ingredients is not always apparent

Good luck! I can't wait to hear what our panel of experts has to say icon_smile.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had a problem, but I have a really large mixer and mixer bowl. Could it be that because of the volume the batter isn't getting beaten and/or mixed properly?

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 6

Are you doubling the recipe to fit a larger pan or to make multiple cakes in a smaller size?

If it's to fit a bigger pan, in 'The Cake Bible' Rose Levy Beranbaum explains that when making larger sized cakes you actually need to reduce the amount of leavening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%