Petit Four Pricing Shocker

Decorating By Erdica Updated 23 Dec 2014 , 3:07am by sissy-1

Erdica Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 29

I just got off the phone with a bride who was calling around for petit four pricing and said another baker quoted her $5/dozen.

I'm shocked because that seems horribly low??? Am I wrong?

28 replies
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 29

oh geesh I heard of people charging 2.00 to 3.00 a piece!!!!

I would say that is waaaaay low.. I wouldn't do them..... LOL

Ok my list as of today

Things I don't wanna EVER do LOL because of the pressure factor and time consuming nature of them LOL

Mini cakes
Wedding cakes

Petit fours

Denise Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 29

I can't image doing Petit Fours for that amount of $. No way

Erdica Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 29

It breaks down to like 42 cents per petit four! I couldn't even cover my ingredients let alone my time with that. Yikes.

pastrylady Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 29

I charge $25/dozen for petite fours and have a minimum 3 dozen per order. I wouldn't even think of doing them for less...

I would tell your customer she might want to find out what that other person means by "petite four" and whether she's ever made them before. The person quoting $5 per dozen is either crazy or never made them before and has no idea how much work is involved.

melodyscakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 29

I don't care what the going rate is...I hate making them!
let the other baker work for pennies.

wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 29

I don't know about you all.. but out of all of them I have had I have only liked a couple icon_sad.gif .. they just don't appeal to me.

icon_sad.gif

spring Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 29

When we made them in the shop, we charged $1.75 a piece with a 3 doz. min. order. And I thought that was cheap!

Minette
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

aligotmatt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 29

I would bet the baker quoted without having made them. I certainly did that in the beginning. I did 6 dozen oreo bon bons for $20. I was dipping those crazy things all night. I think I made about $1.25 an hour once all was said and done.

You should find out who it is and order some. It would be funny.

Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 29

She could have made it up also to see if you would lower your price.

I never cared for petit fours either until I made them. They always seemed like little, dried up old cakes that my mom thought were each a serving icon_biggrin.gif instead of a bite. But I made some for my sister's birthday and I have to say they were pretty tasty. I used rolled fondant instead of poured because I wanted to stick with what I was used to...so they looked as pretty as they tasted and I got pretty good at covering small squares...not a bad skill to have.

fondantgrl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 29

Well how do they look like for $5.00 /Dozen ?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Tell her you will make them but not for that price.

If she likes the $5.00 /dozen, then let her get it from that place..

Less work for you.. thumbs_up.gif

gottabakenow Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #12 of 29

wow. are they just little scraps of cake with a smear of buttercream on them????

all4cake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #13 of 29

At $5.00 a dozen, that's what they'd be

Mamas Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

ROFLMAO

all4cake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamas

Quote:

ROFLMAO

icon_eek.gif wah ditt I say?

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #16 of 29

you made a funny icon_lol.gif

fondantgrl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #17 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ROFLMAO

I'm confused, so you think $5.00/dozen is reasonable (NOT cheap) ? icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:41am
post #18 of 29

hahahahahaha...now, fondantgrl, you made a funny.

I meant, that for $5.00 a dozen, all they'd be is scraps of cake with a smear of icing on 'em like the poster before me had stated.

BrandisBaked Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #19 of 29

Petit Fours is a general term for any bite-size treat. In fact, there are two types of petit fours - petit four glace', and petit four sec. Cookies can be classified as petit fours. Perhaps they got a quote for a different "type" of petit four.

Or perhaps they were full of _____.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #20 of 29

poop?

I agree ... There is no way a sane person would make those at 5$ a dozen icon_sad.gif

fondantgrl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:49am
post #21 of 29
Quote:

hahahahahaha...now, fondantgrl, you made a funny.

I meant, that for $5.00 a dozen, all they'd be is scraps of cake with a smear of icing on 'em like the poster before me had stated.

Oh Ok, I was confused... thanks for the claification.. icon_smile.gif Probably not even scraps but just those crumbs that stick to the pan when you remove the cake... how sad.. icon_eek.gif

summernoelle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #22 of 29

I charge $1/inch. So tiny ones are $1, the 2X2 are $2, and so forth. Is that too cheap? I have had old ladies scoff at me and not order for that price, but I'm thinking it is reasonable. Petit Fours are PITA.

Mamas Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #23 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ROFLMAO

I think it is funny that if you were getting $5 a dozen they would be scraps of cake with a smear of frosting. It was the way you said it not what you said or did I misunderstand the funny?

Erdica Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #24 of 29

Thanks for making me laugh. My jaw dropped when she said that. She then asked about me doing mini cupcakes. She still set up a consultation so we'll see. The bride said the other baker does cheesecake. I can't imagine that less ingredients and time go into make petit four cheesecakes???

AnythingSugar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #25 of 29

A bakery near me makes terrific petit fours. They are one inch squares with a drop of buttercream and then poured fondant. They have a tiny little rose bud sorta thingie on top. Okay, now are you ready? They charge $12.95 per dozen.

My DD loves those things and sometimes the bakery has them in the bakery case instead of having to special order a minimum amount. I pay $12.95 and get my DD a dozen sometimes because there is no way in heck that I am making them ever again. I tried it once and that broke me.

PinkZiab Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:59am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

Petit Fours is a general term for any bite-size treat. In fact, there are two types of petit fours - petit four glace', and petit four sec. Cookies can be classified as petit fours. Perhaps they got a quote for a different "type" of petit four.

This is what i was about to say... $5 a dozen could be for a simple cookie or tuile, which is still technically a petit four (it's the size that makes it a petit four). I think you need clarification on what type she is expecting before you give a quote.

moreCakePlz Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #27 of 29

My favorite bakery charges $6.40 a dozen. They are about 1-1/2â square, have a dollop of butter cream on the top of the cake, then poured fondant, then a little butter cream rose bud and leaves as a finished touch. They are delicious.

PinkZiab Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

I can't imagine that less ingredients and time go into make petit four cheesecakes?

Actually petit four cheesecakes are a breeze because you can just bake a large cheesecake and cut them down (either squares, triangles, or with small round cutters, but there is a lot of waste with round), and decorate with a really simple garnish (candied citrus peel, candied nut, chocolate decoration, etc).

sissy-1 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 3:07am
post #29 of 29

Any suggestions on what to charge if you're also putting a fondant ribbon and bow on each one???  I've never done them before either. :-/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%