Stacked Cake Help

Decorating By inspirations Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm by milissasmom

inspirations Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a wedding cake next week (actually, it's TWO wedding cakes) and they are both 3 tiers, stacked. The only wedding cake I've done before this was a dummy cake and had pillars, so this is my first time attempting a stacked cake that is real and I'm freaking out!

I realize it's probably not as hard as I think it is, but I guess I'm starting to scare myself with visions of a cake that topples, or something equally as devastating.

Can somebody please help me out by letting me know the best way to do it...and things to aviod? I've read the instructions that Wilton gives, and while I understand it, I'm a bit leery about some things...such as, if you use a carboard circle between layers, how the heck do you get the piece of dowling down through all the layers to hold it together?

And should I stack it, then ice it? I'm not using buttercream or fondant.

Can somebody please help me...and help put my mind at ease??? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
buttercream_dreams Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 10

if you look back at the topic index (of How do i?) there is a topic listed as -How do you stack cakes?!!
in which JanH provides an awesome post with pretty much every and all links from past threads explaining it. it takes all the guess work and pain out of having to search for these things...or post duplicate threads. HTH, and big thanks to JanH.

cake-angel Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 10

If you are not using buttercream or fondant - what are you using to ice the cake?
To get the dowel down through the center sharpen one end with a pencil sharpener and just push through. A couple of taps with a mallet will punch it through the cardboard when you hit it.
It is easier to ice the tiers first and stack after and then add the borders and final touches.

crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 10

you will need to dowel the bottom and middle cake individually, and it depends on the size for how many dowels and the spacing you need between each. Then when the top cake is on, you use a long, sharpened dowel and hammer it through to the bottom. It will go through the cardboard easily. Post the cake sizes you're making. What type of icing are you using? I ice each cake individually and then stack. And I picked up a good tip in the forum yesterday, to sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar on top of the cake before you stack another cake on it, that will help the icing on the bottom cake not to stick to the cardboard on the top cake.

milissasmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 10

Ice/cover your cake first. Then stack it. I don't use the dowel/cardboard round thing anymore. I use the SPS system (Thanks to leahs for the info and encouragement). It's the best thing I could have done for myself concerning stacking cakes. The thread someone mentioned by JanH is AWESOME and will help ease your fears. Good luck my dear!!

becklynn Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 10

There's a video on youtube called "Assembling a Wedding Cake" that is very helpful! Good luck!

cvigil Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 10

I just did a wedding cake last weekend. I have only done one so I'm not an expert by far.(this was my first stacked too) It worked out perfectly. First thing, you need to make sure there is enough support. I used dowels On the bottom largest layer I used 6 dowels. The middle layer I used 4. Make sure that they are all the same size. As for the center dowel, first thing is that I poked holes in the cake board before I put the cake on it which made it a lot easier to get that dowel in. I also had to tap it in with a tac hammer. I also sharpened the dowel with a pencil sharpener. There is also a tutorial on this site. I hope this helps. One more thing, I had to sand the end of the dowels that were cut and wash them well. and I let them dry completely before using them.

cakesnkids Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 10

I do mine the way Sharon does hers, she explains it very well on her DVDs,, a very worthwhile investment.

inspirations Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for your help everyone!

To answer the question asked about the cake is having marshmallow icing (which I've never made before) and the other is Betty Crocker Coconut Pecan icing. I was thinking that both those icings would be messy if I iced the cakes first and then stacked, but I guess I can just touch them up when I'm done.

That reminds me of another I ice the top of the cake and set the next tier on top, over the icing? Do you think I'll have any problems with the cake sliding (well, maybe not since I'll have the main dowel holding everything in?)

milissasmom - you wrote:
"I don't use the dowel/cardboard round thing anymore. I use the SPS system"

Can I ask what the SPS system is? Is it easier?

Thanks again for your help...I'll do some more searching on this site for the other info!

milissasmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by inspirations

milissasmom - you wrote:
"I don't use the dowel/cardboard round thing anymore. I use the SPS system"

Can I ask what the SPS system is? Is it easier?

Thanks again for your help...I'll do some more searching on this site for the other info!

It's easier for me, it's just my preference. No guessing, no cutting just simplicity (which is important to me). You can look at globalsugarart or

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%