Should I Do This Cake

Decorating By LaurynBrook Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm by aswartzw

LaurynBrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurynBrook Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

I got this email from a girl on Sunday that my friend knows.

My name is Sabrina Wortham. I got your name from Mallory *****. I am desperatly in need of your help. My fiance's aunt was going to make our wedding cakes but she called yesterday and said that she had overbooked and that the other couple had already paid her. The wedding is August 23rd and this puts me in a bind being so close to the wedding. I would love for you to look at the picture of the cake I have picked out and see if you could possibly do it. I like to hear you say you are reasonably priced, because we are paying for the wedding ourselves and tight on money. If you could do anything to help us, we would greatly appreciate it. I am also sending an attachment of the cake. Thanks again!

She sent me a picture of a pretty basic cake (I hate doing square cakes though). The thing is, I just started a new job (Cake decorator at Wal Mart, I know, but it's money and experience) and I work every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 11-8 and then one other day during the week (Usually Thursday). So my question is, should I bake and decorate the cake Monday-Wednesday then just store it and have her pick it up on Saturday or should I just let this one go? I email her about the sizes and servings she wants to help me with decide. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I'll post more when I find out more information on the cake.
LL

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 9

How are you going to store it? If you bake it Monday I wouldn't think it would be very fresh by Saturday as it will be a week old, JMO

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 9

Maybe you can bake, fill , ice and then freeze until Friday night, let it thaw and then do the finishing touches (ribbon and dragees) Saturday morning before you go to work?

But with that said don't feel pressured just because she is pressed for time and on a budget, you don't want to jeopardize your job for a discounted cake.
Only do it if you know you can and it won't cause any problems at home or at work. I've done that to many times and its not worth it.
Good Luck, and let us know what you decide.

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynBrook

The thing is, I just started a new job (Cake decorator at Wal Mart, I know, but it's money and experience) and I work every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 11-8 and then one other day during the week (Usually Thursday). So my question is, should I bake and decorate the cake Monday-Wednesday then just store it and have her pick it up on Saturday or should I just let this one go? I email her about the sizes and servings she wants to help me with decide. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I'll post more when I find out more information on the cake.

That's funny, know exactly how you feel - that is my same hour schedule - I hate the time - 11 - 8. Anyway, since you have Wed., and this is what I normally do, make icings in advance- Mon..., make your cake on Wed, ice and decorate before and after work. Just make sure you cover un-iced cakes well or it will get dry. I wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge, it preserves the cake. You can do it. I'm doing it now and I have two kids under the age of three and a Husband. But if you think it will be to much for you than DON'T DO IT. We know cake are time consuming but you know your speed best.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

LaurynBrook Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

How are you going to store it? If you bake it Monday I wouldn't think it would be very fresh by Saturday as it will be a week old, JMO

I was thinking of baking the cake on Monday filling and icing on Tuesday, freezing on Wednesday, then probably pulling an all nighter on Friday.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 9

You could bake, fill, crumb coat & freeze then ice Thursday and decorate Friday. I wouldn't freeze with the final coat of BC but that's just me.

LaurynBrook Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynBrook

The thing is, I just started a new job (Cake decorator at Wal Mart, I know, but it's money and experience) and I work every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 11-8 and then one other day during the week (Usually Thursday). So my question is, should I bake and decorate the cake Monday-Wednesday then just store it and have her pick it up on Saturday or should I just let this one go? I email her about the sizes and servings she wants to help me with decide. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I'll post more when I find out more information on the cake.

That's funny, know exactly how you feel - that is my same hour schedule - I hate the time - 11 - 8. Anyway, since you have Wed., and this is what I normally do, make icings in advance- Mon..., make your cake on Wed, ice and decorate before and after work. Just make sure you cover un-iced cakes well or it will get dry. I wrap in saran wrap and put in the fridge, it preserves the cake. You can do it. I'm doing it now and I have two kids under the age of three and a Husband. But if you think it will be to much for you than DON'T DO IT. We know cake are time consuming but you know your speed best.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

I know! I hate that time. You have no time before to get things done, and I go to bed early so no time to do much after you get home. I hope the longer I'm there the better my time will be.
I always let my cakes sit for 10 minutes as soon as they get out of the oven then flip them out on to saran wrap then seal them up and let them cool on the counter. The cake ends up so very moist.

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:22am
post #8 of 9

Wow icon_surprised.gif 10 min. and pop - and never cracks or stick to the pan because it is so soon? I've never popped my cakes out that early afraid it may crack but I may try it for my next cake, because this last cake I let it cool completely and it cracked on me icon_cry.gif

So, are you going to do the cake? icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You could bake, fill, crumb coat & freeze then ice Thursday and decorate Friday. I wouldn't freeze with the final coat of BC but that's just me.

I would also do this. Most importantly though, give her your cost and see if it's within her budget. Otherwise, why stress?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%