Fyi Newbies To Fondant And Freshness Of Cake...

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 11:47am by wgoat5

wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 4

I wanted to share a story about one of my cakes... I see many posts about freshness of fondant covered cakes .. when to cover.. and how early can you do it to keep the freshness of the cake...

I made this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=978353 for a suprise birthday party for a very good client... it was for his dad actually... when the dad seen the cake he wouldn't let ANYBODY touch it... not a soul.... that was on a Sunday..... the DS called me and asked me when to serve it.. I said without being fridged I'd serve it in a day or so (dummy me didn't know much)

I had a receipt with the date that they signed off on the cake THANK GOD icon_smile.gif

The dad didn't cut that cake till the next week... Friday to be exact.. for a family dinner icon_sad.gif ... When I heard this first I cringed.... and thought thank God for the date on the receipt!!!!

I got a call from my client that weekend... It was the BEST cake they had ever eaten ... so very moist.. Now I wouldn't tell ANYONE to wait that long.. but see what the fondant does to the cake????

icon_smile.gif

Just a story to tell icon_smile.gif

3 replies
gottabakenow Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 4

good to know! icon_smile.gif

sugarflour2 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:33am
post #3 of 4

I always worry about this. Even though I've heard it hear before, it's great to be reassured again. Christi, do you use the same buttercream as your filling as you do to ice the cake?

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:47am
post #4 of 4

Yes I do icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%