Can You Ice A Frozen Cake?

Decorating By knel Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm by knel

knel Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to freeze several cakes to stack and carve. Can you ice a frozen cake? (It seems like it would be much easier and neater to ice it with it being frozen. ) or do you have to let it thaw before icing it?

Thanks.

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 7

You can do anything you want.

I fill and stack my cakes, then I freeze them then I ice them frozen-ish. Sometimes if I'm being pokey I might need to let it rest a minute and thaw if my icing seizes up from the cold. Everybody on here does it different. Do what's good, what works for you.

knel Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I was just wondering if I iced them while it was frozen, if the icing would crack after the cake thawed.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 7

It might. I shove mine back in the frige right after icing so I avoid that. But I mean there's a gazillion variables. Go with your gut.

But generally you want to keep away from temperature extremes in the warming up process. You want it to come to room temp gradually.

So I ice it frozen, stick it back in frige to defrost some more. Wag it back & forth decorating it. Deliver it fully chilled and in a corrugated box so no Memphis heat & humidity can destroy it on the way. And it comes to room temp sitting there waiting for the party to start. In a perfect world that's my plan.

knel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #5 of 7

Sounds like a good plan. Alabama is pretty hot and humid right now, too!!! Thanks for your help! I think I'll try to create my "perfect world", too. Ha ha

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 7

Many CC'ers have said they ice frozen cakes all the time with no problems. I've iced frozen cakes and the icing cracked. I've iced partically frozen cakes and they've been fine. As mentioned above .... lots of variables.

knel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! I guess I'll give it a whirl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%