I Need Some Cool Ideas Please!!!

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm by jess85

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 17

I am throwing a surprise going away party for my best friend who is moving back to Hawaii (i just hate her haha) anyways I am going to do a tropical theme, go figure lol and it will be at 7 in the evening. I was thinking since it is going to be starting so late in the evening that most people will probably have already eaten dinner so instead of having food (which was my original thought) I was thinking of having just a bunch of really cool desserts. I am of course going to do a cake, which I have already decided on the design but I wanted to do a variety of other things to that would make the table just look really neat and colorful but I have no idea of what to do. So if you have any suggestions please throw them my way and if you happen to have pictures that is also appreciated icon_biggrin.gif thanks everyone

16 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 17

google hawaiian desserts. i just did and it looks like there are some good recipes on there.

HTH

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 17

sounds like a great idea, desert parties are fun and you can really go wild but in general just try to have a balance of textures and flavours. Also, miniatures work really well.
i like to do mini versions of lemon meringues/bakewell tarts/choc tarts/brownies etc.
another thing that everyone loves is chocolate fondue, but just using ganache in bowls with mounds of marshmallow/fresh fruits/nougat/turkish delight etc
also doing things like jellies/pannacotta/brulee/mouse in chinese spoons and shot glasses work a treat.
hope it gives you some inspiration! Good luck

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 17

yeah i like the idea of the mini things, that way I can get a lot of stuff out there and a big variety. keep the ideas coming

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 17

anyone else, please. would love to see some pictures

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 17

just trying to give myself a bump. anyone have some other cool ideas

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 17

another bump, I just thougth there would have been more people with ideas

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 17

We have a tropical party every year and last year we did a table top palm tree but the "trunk was eggplants stacked onto a thick wooden dowel screwed into a base. Then we took fruit on toothpicks and covered it. It was sooo cool looking and we got alot of great comments. I think we bought a cheap palm like plant from IKEA for the topper.

PM me if you want and I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 17

More labor intensive (and messy) but setting out sterno/other flame and letting guests dip fruit skewers (LOVE the above idea!!!) into brown sugar and caramelizing the fruit, then dipping into rum-laden whipped cream.

Tropical fruits with cool dips is fun also.

You could do some tropical flavored cookies with icing flowers like plumeria on them, very pretty.

I like Jess' idea of a pannacotta or similar, you can make a huge batch and flavor portions differently and put in cute dishes.

Doing any cool or jellied dessert in fruit cups is neat also, like the halves of citrus, or serving the dips/fondue etc. in the bottoms of pineapple or coconuts etc.

*This is not for eating, but as a fun game for your party since it is Hawaii-style, is a Spam carving contest! We did that and had a BALL! Pick a design and let everyone have a can and a paring knife, and 5 minutes etc. Really hilarious.

I bet the party will be great!

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 17

what is pannacotta?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 17

what about fruit kebobs, that's pretty tropical looking

crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 17

and mini pineapple upside down cakes, using muffin tins.

crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 17

little mini cheesecakes are good too, allrecipes dot com, mini cheesecakes I is a good recipe.

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 17

ooh, I love the mini pineapple upside down cakes I think I will definately do some of those

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 17

Panna cotta is a cream, milk and sugar mix with gelatin and flavors of choice. Cool, delicate and very versatile. Can be made sort of plian and topped with berries, fruits, chocolate etc. or flavored and left to stand alone. Yum. Takes well to molding in cute molds/flowerpots etc.

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #16 of 17

I recently did a fruit bouquet for a baby shower. Here are the directions. http://www.plan-the-perfect-baby-shower.com/fruit-bouquet.html
LL

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 17

hi, if you pm me your email, i can send some pics, did try to attatch some but didnt work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%