What Size Cake Would You Recommend??

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 3:48am by leah_s

doublecz1103 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 16

Someone on CC took 2 wedding cake pictures for me and made this one below... i've never done anything like this yet because i'm still pretty new to the cake world and I didn't know if my idea would work...or if it would be toooo heavy... can I do this design with a 16'', 14'', and 8'' ??? I didn't know if it would be top heavy or if it would still be supported well... the cake needs to feed 150... any other suggestions would be helpful!! thanks

15 replies
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 16

I think it would work with proper support.. but you are jumping 8 inches between the 8 and 14 .. might be a little (in my opinion) catywhompis (sons word LOL)

Might look a little bit off I think... an 8 inch for a wedding topper I think is a bit big.. but then I don't do wedding cakes so you will probably get lots of answers

Beautiful design icon_smile.gif and good luck!!! We know you can do it icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 16

See now to me this is exactly why people need the odd size pans. I'd do 15x12x9 or something. But personally I love a little bitty top cake so I'd want to add the 6" for a 15x12x9x6 on there too. Because with the former set up you just lost all the sevings in the 9" if that's the anniversary cake. Whereas you can afford to loose the 6" servings.

But if you could do 4 tiers you could maybe start at a 14 incher for a 14x11x7x4. I mean Margaret Braun does 2" cakes that are 4" tall. Shoot you can do a 4" if you want.

I mean are they keeping the top tier or serving it? That little detail drives me nuts too. (short trip yeah I know)

Or or or how about a 14 round a 10 inch square and a 8or9 round or something. No no no I forgot about the picture, they are all round.

Umm, my advice--get the odd sized pans.

But honestly, a 16x14x8 to me will look hulky bottomed like a really full pear shaped lady with a beehive harido. You could do a 16x12x8. You'll have a two inch ledge all the way around. I mean it depends on how close to the picture you wanna make it. Are you replicating the colors, the shape, and the graduation of the tiers as well as flowers?

I vote for 14x11x7x4. You'll have plenty of servings it will matchy matchy the picture enough, the graduation is even. 14's are not as scarry as 16's on fountains icon_biggrin.gif

Overthink much Kate? Yes don't mind if I do.
Are you sorry you asked yet? icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 16

See another thing to me. A 16" over the fountain has to have satellite cakes on the table surrounding the fountain to smooth out the effect to make it pleasing to the eye. A 14 over the fountain is already plenty big but the graduation is just a bit easier on the eye with a 14 compared to a 16 if there's no satellites. Which I'm not saying do satellites I'm just trying to share with your eyes to see the graduation factor.

And don't leave the fountain base nekkid and pull the flowers out a bit onto the table again for the eye appeal so it's smoother--not just straight up, to erase/disguise the beanstalk effect.

In fact I think I'd set a short stack of secure masonite boards under the fountain to give it some loft, cover it with some pretty cloth--doesn't the ramdon fountain look so planted on the table? I like it to look smoother and filled in.

This is a real fine point--don't mind me. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 16

I don't think you are a picker , I think we (us that don't know everything about these setups) need to know stuff like this.

I LOVE my odd sized pans... I am sooo glad that I got them...

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 16

But it might be really crazy to raise the heighth because while it is very secure it just doesn't seem like it. If one were to actually raise it up it should only be like an inch or two. And the platform underneath should be greater than the size of the bottom plate which if memory serves is an 18. So should be at least a solid 24" and like a couple masonite boards taped up real good not cardboard. I'd use the shelf liner on there too above and below.

But I think fountain cakes need that around the edges. The added heighth thing I've never done and it would be kinda crazy too with all that weight. I wouldn't try it with a 16" cake on there. It should work there's no reason why it couldn't work I just wouldn't do it. I'd fake it with the flowers and greenery. I mean you got servers can't reach it to serve.

Shoot if it's a 10 top or a 12 top table you can't reach the cake to set it up what am I thinking to make it heigher? Just shoot me.

leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 16

8/14/16 just isn't symetrical and wedding cakes, generally speaking, need to be symetrical. Annnnddd I ALWAYS use a 6" as the top tier. It's what florists expect and if they are keeping it, it as big a cake as you should be providing for free.

doublecz1103 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #8 of 16

tell me if this is more "do"able...

the bride wants the shades of blue and the flowers..

::picture this::

fountain at the base using the drapped cloth idea to give it more surface area covered...then the first plate would be a 17'' then a 14'', 12'', and 10''. the a smaller set of pillars holding up the 6'' save cake. the save cake will be white with all the diff. shades of blue flowers on it and the other 3 cakes will be 3 diff. shades of blue.... the original picture of the blue cake had a really dark almost navy blue as the bottom tier...

is this workable... or will it be tooo heavy?? and if it is workable.. for a good balanced support system.. i've done a topsy turvy cake with dowels and cardboard plates... would that work or should i use better??? HELP!!! I HATE BEING SO NEW TO THIS LOL.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #9 of 16

So you need a 17", 14", 12" , 10" and a 6 " (to save) in cake sizes to feed 150?

doublecz1103 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #10 of 16

no.. i should have worded that better.. the crystal plates are 17''... so i thought i'd start with a 14'' cake then a 12'' then a 10'' ... then raise it up with small pillars to a 6''...

i was just looking at some designs from wilton... how hard would it be to put the fountain in the middle of the cake..

their example is a base of a 18'' cake, then a 14'' cake, then the fountain, then a 12'' cake then a 8'' cake.. maybe i could do something like this...

let me see if i can find this link to post what i mean...

doublecz1103 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #11 of 16

this is what i found on wilton... i don't know if this would look goofy with the diff shades of colors and flowers though because they won't be together...

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #12 of 16

I don't think it would be goofy... And I like that style icon_smile.gif better actually icon_smile.gif

doublecz1103 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #13 of 16

i could also do my idea i mentioned using maybe a 14'',12'', 8'' and then raising a 6''... that would be cutting it close though for slices..

what does everyone think?

doublecz1103 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #14 of 16

do you know how to support something like that?? i wouldn't know where to begin

debster Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #15 of 16

You would just dowel or use a SPS system between each layer that is stacked together and something on the 14" also to support the fountain so three total.

leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #16 of 16

I hate fountains in the middle for two reasons.1) If there is any splashing of the fountain water your cake will suffer. and 2) you can disasssemble the cake and serve it - without taking off the fountain - if the cake is on top. Sooooo much easier. After the cake is served you can place the bride's bouquet or the cake topper on the fountain top plate and it still looks decent sitting on the table.

I can't believe that the caterer or who ever is cutting the cake is going to be happy about wrestling the fountain out of the middle of the cake to serve it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%