Silly Egg Question!

Decorating By murf Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 10:36am by murf

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

Afternoon all,
One of my lovely brides has just brought round some of their duck eggs. I have used them for a cake but have 2 left over. Can I mix them with regular free range hens eggs in my next cake recipe i.e. 2 duck and 4 hens eggs? I don't want to waste them.
Thanks,
Jenny

8 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 9

I didn't know you could eat Duck eggs. The things you learn on CC. icon_smile.gif
Looking forward to the answer.
Jen...

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 9

Not too sure about the answer to the question, however I do know that peacock eggs are very tasty as well & fluffier ;o)

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 9

you can quite easily substitute duck eggs for hens eggs (and mix them as well). However you do need to remember they are slightly larger thn hens eggs so you might not need quite so many

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 9

All right this has nothing to do with baking but you've peaked my interest. Are the duck eggs and peacock eggs raised the same as they do hen eggs? Just curiouse b/c it would be icky to get a fertile one.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 9

Yes you can mix the 2! My grandma used to do it on her farm all the time! The duck eggs are larger than the hen eggs though.
HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 9

Do duck eggs taste gamier? That would totally gross me out. I mean in a cake you kinda mask it with sugar and flour and flavor. But like if you made scrambled eggs it would be more flavorful no?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 9

Interesting! I just read that duck eggs have a higher percentage of fat in the yolk and more protein in the white but substitute well for chicken eggs in most baking recipes. The average large chicken egg weighs 57 grams in the shell and 50 grams out of the shell, so just weigh your larger duck eggs and adjust as needed.

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:36am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the replies! I have baked the first cake with the duck eggs and it rose beautifully high and tasted great so that answers that! I'll be baking the mixed egg cake later today or tomorrow so I'll let you know. I did think there wouldn't be a problem apart from the size issue but you never know. In the totally duck egg cake, I used 4 instead of 5 eggs to 10oz flour and butter for your info
Thanks again
Jenny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%