Using Rkt

Decorating By buttercream_dreams Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm by crystalina1977

buttercream_dreams Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 3

I have an order for a cake in the shape of a cruise ship- its only to serve around 30 people, but she wants it to be pretty big.
I was thinking i could do the base of the ship in RKT, but i have never done this before so need a few pointers.

Should I assemble/mold the RKT in advance so it can harden up a bit, before i need to ice and cover it?

do i need to use doweling, if stacking cake directly on top?

Is it easier to just use foam?

2 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 3

I'd go with your second thought and use foam - but I like to take the easy way out icon_wink.gif

Not sure about doweling RKT but it sets up quite quickly - like as soon as it cools. Also, to make a firmer base you may want to crush up your rice krispeys so its more compact.

crystalina1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 3

RKT sets up retty quickly if you put it into the fridge. I wouldn't think you would need dowels when stacking the cake on top, if you crush the rk and compact it while molding, it gets pretty hard once it's been refrigerated. I think you can do the rkt in advance if you want to, I doubt anyone will eat it. I made an rkt fish about a week before the cake was eaten, and even though it was hard as a rock some little kid decided he wanted to eat it and I guess it was still ok!

Quote by @%username% on %date%