Freeze Cakes Properly.. And Then Defrost - Help Needed Today

Decorating By onlybluemomma Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm by vdrsolo

onlybluemomma Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 7

So I was volunteerd by my mother to make my brother's wedding cake.. he is getting married on saturday.

I figured i would make and freeze the cakes until friday.. and then ice and decorate them friday night. .. I have three small kids (youngest is 8 months) so I really need to make sure i do this right the first time!

My question is... what is the best way to wrap the cakes to freeze?... do i let them cool completely before putting them in the freezer? how long should i leave them to defrost before icing them?... will the cake look sweaty if i freeze them first?.

HELP! (lol)

6 replies
buttercream_dreams Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 7

since theyre not going to be frozen for very long ( a couple of days i would say isnt a big deal) i dont think you need to worry too much.
once the cake is COMPLETELY cool (cuz if you were to stick in in the freezer too early it could get soggy) if it is stable enough to simply just wrap it in saran, then do so- if a little more fragile stick in your deep freeze or make room in your freezer to put it in, sitting evenly to firm up, and then wrap in saran, followed by tinfoil, and if you really want to play it safe pop iy into a ziplock.

This is how i used to do it without any problems. (now if i need to freeze a cake i just use "tupperware" or foodsaver)
maybe someone else has an easier way?

As far as defrosting, i say dont.
once you have your cakes out of the freezer, get right to work on cutting them into your layers (how ever many that may be) as frozen cake cuts beautifully and with ease, leaving few crumbs.

by the time you get to the icing stage, it will usually be thawed enough to bypass any problems with the icing cracking or falling off, unless you are working with a super dense or carrot cake type cake, then it may take a few extra minutes of thawing. (but really, not much.)

jammjenks Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 7

Is there a particular reason you need to freeze them? If you are concerned about baking them on Wed for a Sat wedding, don't be. They will be fine sitting at room temp until you need them. You can just wrap in plastic wrap and leave them sitting out.

elainec Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 7

I always freeze mine for at leat a couple of hours anyway, they seem to be very moist and yet firm after freezing. And yes, if you torte them, frozen is the easiest way to go.

yayadesigns Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 7

I do something very similar to buttercream dreams. I do any trimming or leveling that I need to and then I let my cakes cool completely and wrap in saran wrap. I wrap about three times and then I put it on a cake board for support and wrap entirely in tinfoil and then stick in plastic ziplock bags and then put in the freezer. I buy those xl and xxl ziplock bags...they are great!

When I am ready to decorate, I take out of the freezer and work on them immediately, I do not let them thaw. Other than one minor cracking incident, I have not had any problems with this method.

Good luck!

kerri729 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 7

I freeze all of my cakes, even if for only a day or two- it locks in moisture. The previous posts are correct in that you need to cool completely, before you wrap and freeze- you don't want people to get sick. I put mine on a cake board, wrap in two layers of saran wrap, a layer of aluminum foil, and if freezing for more than a day or two re-wrap in another large plastic bag. I deep freeze them, and then when I take them out to thaw, I torte, fill, then re-wrap in the saran wrap and let thaw- the wrappings will collect the condensation on the outside, otherwise, the moisture while defrosting will collect on the outside of the cake and create a mushy mess, which will be difficult to ice and decorate. If I were you, I would take them out on Friday morning or Thursday night to begin thawing (depending on the size of the tiers), decorate on Friday evening, leaving Saturday morning for any unforseen mishaps. HTH & Good Luck!

vdrsolo Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

I let my cakes cool completely.

I then level and torte. (I like to get this done and out of the way and not have to worry about it when I go to icing the cake)

I place waxed paper or parchment paper between the torted layers. I then wrap twice in saran wrap (don't wrap too tightly or you can smash the cake). Then wrap in aluminum foil.

Place in freezer.

Pull out of freezer, I keep all wraps on. Wait about an hour. I normally start with the largest tier because it is easier to work with when they are still slightly cold, but not completely frozen. I fill and crumb coat. By the time I get to the smaller tiers they are completely unfrozen.

I then let the cakes settle for several hours, normally overnight. This is very important or you could have some bulge or icing bubble problems if you place the final icing on the cake before it has time to settle completely. Also, if you are working with any layers that were still frozen this will give some time for some of the condensation to escape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%