Anybody Using The Wilton Tall Tier Cake Stand

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:56am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone uses the Wilton Tall Tier cake stand. I have a wedding next weekend that the bride wanted this stand. She is having cupcakes (not a problem) but I'm not sure about the 6 inch cake at the top. There is a large bolt at the top, so a cake board can't sit evenly. I assume that you need to cut a hole in the cake board to accomodate the bolt/nut? Do I need to cut a hole in the bottom of the cake too?

4 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 5

I've been wondering about this myself... Last time I used it for cupcakes and a 6" cake, and put the cake on a Wilton separator plate. The feet on the plate were tall enough to clear the boldt...

jammjenks Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 5

I have used it for cupcakes many times, and for a cake once. I used a styrofoam cup to level it out at the top. I just cut off most of the cup leaving the bottom "rim" and put that upside down. I then sat the cake on top of the inverted cup. There's probably a much better way to do it, but it worked great at the time. Surely if you cut the cake board, you'll have to cut the cake a little too. Maybe someone with more experience in this area will respond.

lsawyer Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 5

I just did a wedding for this same thing--200 cupcakes and 6-inch cake on top (not in my photos yet). I used a double-thick board (hot glue-gunned together) under the cake. I cut a hole in the boards to fit over the bolt, then I cut a smaller hole in the cake. It worked perfectly.

That cake stand relies on the weight of cakes, not cupcakes, to keep it stable. You may notice a bit of a wobble with the lighter-weight cupcakes, but it still works fine.

mrswendel Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 5

I was thinking about putting something under the cake board too. I just don't like the idea of having a hole in the bottom of the cake and board for a cake that the client will be keeping for their anniversary. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%