Dried Cookie Icing?

Baking By cakegal Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm by Alliekat66

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:31am
post #1 of 5

Ok... I've tried Toba's Glace and another cookie icing yesterday..
Both are beautiful while wet...now that it's dry, they went matte looking.
What would keep them shinny? They still look nice matte but I love the glassy look when wet.
Any suggestions?
TIA

4 replies
Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 5

It's the age old problem...shiny icing! icon_smile.gif Most of the icings you will use will not look as shiny when they dry. When making royal icing, you can put some corn syrup into the icing while it's mixing, and it will dry with a bit more of a shine. I have also heard of people letting their cookies dry under some kind of light, to get the icing shiny, but I've never done that. I also just recently saw a product at the cake decorating store that you can spray onto your cookie when it's dry to get a shiny look, but I have never tried that either.
Good Luck!

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 5

I add a 1-2 teaspoons of corn syp. also sometimes add add spoon of shortening when mixing.... But my drying time is longer .However I will come out with a cookie that the icing is not rock hard after a few days

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 5

Both icings I tried have corn syrup in them. I guess matte finish will have to do.
Thanks for the tips.

Alliekat66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alliekat66 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 5

I'm just a newbie but I think I remember a post with someone saying that they glossed up their cookies with karo after the dried...maybe someone knows more about this, as I said I'm a newbie and have just been doing alot of forum reading!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%