Best Way To Transport Wedding Cake From So Cal. To Vegas

Decorating By cyndi777 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 10:32am by iownajane

cyndi777 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:53am
post #1 of 3

i'm baking my brothers wedding cake i live in anaheim the wedding is in vegas i will be going to vegas 24hrs before the wedding with the cake. it will be 3 teirs stacked rounds. i will be using fondant and fondant cut outs. should cover with fondant but leave all tiers sepparate then stack them and decorate with cut outs and finishing do touches at a relitives home? or ???? help any ideas?
thanks
cyndi

2 replies
leepat Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:51am
post #2 of 3

I think I would leave them separate, just in case. I am not sure how far that is and I am not sure how many tiers you are taking. I have traveled over 4 hours with 2 tiers already stacked and I have traveled 2 hrs with 3 tiers stacked and the have traveled just fine. No matter what you do take a repair kit with you just in case. And make sure you cake has proper support.

iownajane Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:32am
post #3 of 3

I just travelled with three round tiers(14,10 and 6 inch) rounds PLUS a 12inch heart(groom's cake) plus 200 cookie favors plus the topper(fondant/gumpaste loopy bow) .It was a 3 hour drive,and we had to clear US customs,so I was a total basket case...my first wedding cake,for my daughter........
I followed instructions from another list...fully prepared each tier...filled,iced and all decorated...I used IMBC and fondant,with fondant decorations and an impression mat on parts....the decorations on the cake were stuck on with either water(the "flat" ribbons) or royal (little 3D flowers and dragees)... and I froze each tier in it's own cake box...wrap completely 3-4 times with saran,and then completely overwrap with aluminium foil....I glued the base board of each tier onto a slightly larger board with royal(ie:14 inch cake on a 16inch board in a 16inch box)my boyfriend built a rack out of 2x4s that fit into tha back of our van,with a sheet of plywood underneath...so the boxes couldn't move(we used 3/4 lengths of woodfor dividers...they were not attachedso we could place them where we needed,and other scraps to "shim" between the different sizes..........
You leave the frozen cakes totally untouched,unopened to thaw for 24 hours....so we took them out at 630am Friday,and I set up Sat am at around 730....so this would give you lots of more "worry-free" travelling time...I WAS going to put my SPS in the cakes before freezing,but due to customs,I didn't(have done it before and it works)...instead I installed them Sat am..my cake was NOT perfect...my first one (and a 14inch is BIG to flip fondant over!!!) but they loved it,and it did survive fine.
Leahs on this list helped me out with the SPS info...
Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%