Hobby Lobby Wilton Classes?

Decorating By patella Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm by bizatchgirl

patella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patella Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #1 of 7

Hi! I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Wilton Classes at Hobby Lobby. I signed up for Course 1, but am confused about what items are needed for the class. I know that they provide the book and I have to buy the course 1 kit. This may seem like a stupid question, but if we're decorating cakes, where do the cakes come from? Are they provided? Or will I need to bring a cake w/me? Sorry to sound so dumb, but anything that will prepare me/let me know what to expect for the class will be appreciated!

6 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:09am
post #2 of 7

Hi! I took the Wiltons class at Michaels. So, probably goes the same way. You do need to provide your own cakes. You'll probably want to ice them at home, since class time gets tight. I think Course 1 is one cake per week (weeks 2-4). You don't HAVE to bring a cake, you can practice some of the icing techniques on wax paper, but you probably get the best experience on cake. I was so busy with work when I took my classes that a few times I called ahead and got an iced undecorated cake from my local grocery store. Also, the class kit for Course 1 is ok but I think the toolbox that comes with all the supplies is actually better. I got that with the 40% off coupon, so it wasn't too much more than the regular price of the class kit. I noticed in class that the teacher would show techniques that were done with supplies I had that didn't come in the class kit. By the end of the course, almost everyone had purchased the toolbox.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:21am
post #3 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, patella. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Have fun caking!

patella Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:38am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Hi! I took the Wiltons class at Michaels. So, probably goes the same way. You do need to provide your own cakes. You'll probably want to ice them at home, since class time gets tight. I think Course 1 is one cake per week (weeks 2-4). You don't HAVE to bring a cake, you can practice some of the icing techniques on wax paper, but you probably get the best experience on cake. I was so busy with work when I took my classes that a few times I called ahead and got an iced undecorated cake from my local grocery store. Also, the class kit for Course 1 is ok but I think the toolbox that comes with all the supplies is actually better. I got that with the 40% off coupon, so it wasn't too much more than the regular price of the class kit. I noticed in class that the teacher would show techniques that were done with supplies I had that didn't come in the class kit. By the end of the course, almost everyone had purchased the toolbox.

Ok thanks! I was wondering that! So basically you learn the "decorating" techniques, not icing? I will probably buy the cakes also since I work full time. Thanks for your help!

patella Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:39am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Hi and Welcome to CC, patella. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Have fun caking!

Thanks! This will be very helpful!! thumbs_up.gif

jenbashore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbashore Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:54am
post #6 of 7

I took the first two courses at Hobby Lobby. The first day of course one was just an introduction. We didn't need to take anything in. For the second week of course one we had to make our buttercream and buy the course 1 kit. I think HL has a 40% coupon this week so you may want to take advantage of that. My instructor was really trying to sell the Wilton stuff. I didn't by most of what she was talking about because 2-3 bucks here and 2-3 bucks there really adds up. Really all you need is what is in the kit and decorating bags. Our instructor let us bring in cupcakes or a cake for the first course...every week. I was giving them away because the cake was clinging to my hinie. icon_lol.gif The second course you only need to bake one cake.

HTH

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 7

They touch on icing techniques but too fast for it to do you any good. Plus, all of our classes were tight and there'd just be no time to ice and decorate in class. So, call a day or 2 before class and ask your local store to hold back an undecorated cake. If you call the day of, you might be too late. If you stick with a 6 in plain iced cake you can probably get it for about 6.99 or 7.99 (Az pricing). This was a reasonable price for me since I was so busy and I only did it once or twice through out all of the courses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%