Attaching Fondant To Wire ???

Decorating By TantalizingTreats Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm by paojava

TantalizingTreats Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:49am
post #1 of 20

What is the best way to attach fondant to wire. I have tried to do it a couple of times and it never seems to stay... and then once they are attached.. how do i stick them into the cake without them falling over? The last cake I made was a pain in the a$$ because those silly things wouldn't stay, but I love the look of them.. Hope someone out there can give me a few pointers..

19 replies
Amia Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:56am
post #2 of 20

I usually stick the wire into the fondant right away, then lay it down on a silicone mat to dry. I've never had problems with it falling off (...yet). To keep the wire from falling in the cake, use coffee stirrers. You put those in the cake first, then stick the wire in those.

bizatchgirl Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:03am
post #3 of 20

Glad to hear these tips. I've had the same problems.

Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 20

Wgoat (a CC member) shared a great trick for this. Heat the end of the wire in a candle flame (or a lighter) for a few seconds, then push it into the fondant. The heat will melt the sugar enough to glue the wire in.

Before that, I was dipping the wire into egg white or into meringue powder/water mix. That works too, but it's a little messier than the heat method.

Like Amia said, use coffee stirs, or if you're putting in a bunch of wires in one spot, tape them together with floral tape and then stick them into a drinking straw and push the straw into the cake.

doitallmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:22am
post #5 of 20

Always wanted to try this, now I 'll know how not to mess it up- thanks all.

paojava Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 20

Thank you so much for the advice! I am preparing to make a cake with flowers sticking out of the top for the first time this coming weekend!

jess85 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:52am
post #7 of 20

be sure to dry your cut outs well before you use them, i use cellogen/tylo glue, and make sure the fondant is thick enough and you use a heavy gauge florist wire

YAYI95 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:17am
post #8 of 20

ditto what Jess85 said, make sure you use a heavy gauge wire and cut it thick

deliciously_decadent Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:06am
post #9 of 20

i use the paper covered flower wire and put the tip in gumpaste glue before slowly pushing into the fondant shape then leave to dry. then just before i pop them in the cake i moisten the bottom tip of the wire in more gumpaste glue and push into cake. I have never had troubl with them falling off this way, I used to when i just dampened the wire with water when i first started but never since using the gumpaste glue, or falling over. Hope this helped.
oh when i am putting modelling paste straight on bare wire for figurines i always brush the wire with gumpaste glue (diluted gumpaste with boiling water to make a sticky glue) and leave to dry sitting on polystyrene in correct position (propped up by cotton tips and wire until dry if necessary)
hope this helped! icon_biggrin.gif

paojava Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:31am
post #10 of 20

Can you sandwich the wire between 2 cutouts?

ski Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:34am
post #11 of 20

along with Texa 's suggestion I also slightly curl the tip of the wire just to stop it from coming out after it dries. extra preventative.

TantalizingTreats Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #12 of 20

what gauge of wire do you all use?

OhioBaker Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm
post #13 of 20

I use Wgoat's suggestion of heating the wire with a lighter; it works very well and I also use the coffee stirs to put the wires into.

miss_sweetstory Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:34am
post #14 of 20

what gauge of wire do you all use?

I use 22 has a nice "bounce." I insert wires into a floral peg...if they more too much I stuff the peg with a little sugar paste.

born2bake Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:37am
post #15 of 20

I did this on a daisy cake I made a month ago (see my pics). I cut out the fondant (needs to have some thickness to it), dipped my wire in tylos glue and pushed the wire into the flower - between two petals and up in to the center of the flower. Lay flat on parchment or wax paper and let dry over night. Because I had to transport my cake, I stuck them in one of those green floral styrofoam bricks and then inserted them in the cake at the event. Because I wanted my flowers as a bunch in the center of the cake, I used a flower pick (??), cut the cap off, filled it with gumpaste and then stuck the wired flowers in this. I then pushed it down in the middle of the cake and decorated around it.

I must say I like the idea of heating up the wire and then sticking in the flower, I will try that the next time as tylos glue can be messy and sticky - I had some of my flowers stick to the parchment paper and though they did come off, thought I was going to lose a few. BTW - always make extras flowers as some may break.

mgdqueen Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #16 of 20

I love the idea of filling a floral pick with gumpaste! That's a great idea!

paojava Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #17 of 20

I DID IT!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

You can (I think) see it here:
Erin's Birthday Cake

I ended up sandwiching the flowers together with slightly sticky fondant (I added water to it). I also added the leaves the same way. I am pretty happy with the overall outcome. This was my 3rd fondant cake ever, and the first one with homemade marshmallow fondant.

TantalizingTreats Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #18 of 20

great cake paojava!!!!

born2bake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #19 of 20

Great job, Paojava!! You may find yourself wanting to do more of these . . . .I know I'm waiting for the next opportunity to this as I did have fun making my daisies and decorating my cake with them.

paojava Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #20 of 20

Oh...thanks!!! And yes, I can't wait to try this again!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%