How Do You Stack A Cake Like This?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm by snowshoe1

aprilcake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 3

I had to turn down a cake today because she wanted her cakes (yes, two) to be stacked like this, well at least one of them and she wanted the new york city subway map drawn on it. I just started all this 8 months ago and so I could not figure out how to make the cake stand like that let alone draw the subway map on it...just was is the pic she sent of the way she wants it stacked..

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #2 of 3

Sounds like somebody's been watching too many cake shows icon_biggrin.gif The new york subway map???

I think those are cake dummies, the entire thing. It might be possible to make the cake, if you had a sheet of sturdy plywood for the base and a metal pipe bolted to the middle of it, with the upper 2 square cake plates somehow attached to the metal pipe, and then the two rounds made out of styrofoam. I've never tried to build anything like that, but that's how I would try it.

snowshoe1 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 3

I would think you could use styrofoam wedges between each of the cake layers. Obviously you would need a lot of support. If you want the top to be level, you would need to cut the wedges so the opposing wedges total zero (for example, first wedge is 2" on right and 1" on left; second wedge is 1" on right and 2" on left, etc... - hope that makes sense icon_rolleyes.gif )

Hmmm...wonder why someone would want a NYC subway map on their cake - I ride this everyday and wouldn't want it associated with my wedding icon_wink.gif - Oh well, guess we all have different tastes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%