How Do You Stack Cakes?!?!?

Decorating By jimmynjulia2 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm by mindywith3boys

jimmynjulia2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 9

Ok i don't understand if you make like 3 cakes and then stack them and then make 3 more in a different shape and stack them or what. I tried my first cake and it was sooo thin! Please help i could really use the advice! Thank you!icon_smile.gif

8 replies
JanH Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #2 of 9

Everything you ever wanted to know about your first tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955.html

Indydebi's illustrated guide to cutting neat cake slices:
(So much better than the Wilton method.)

http://tinyurl.com/644w95

HTH

flowermom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 9

You have to order it, but it was well worth the cost, Sugarshack's DVD called Successful Stacking. It helped me do my first wedding cake, I just wish I had had it back in February when I did my castle cake! I have all three of her DVD's and love them all!!!!!

www.sugaredproductions.com is Sugarshack's website.

Sandi princess.gif

Juds2323 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:05am
post #4 of 9

Are you asking about stacking multiple cakes - tiers or making individual cakes taller. For stacking tiers I agree sugarshack's dvd is great. For individual cakes - most cakes other than sheet cakes are minimum of 2 layers with a layer of filling in between each layer. If you fill with something other than buttercream you should use a buttercream dam (this is a circle of very stiff buttercream around the perimeter of the cake before filling. Sugarshack's buttercream dvd will show you how she does her buttercream cakes including layering.

HTH

Judi

mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:10am
post #5 of 9

I'm not sure if you are talking about stacking or just making a regular cake. Let's just say that you are going to make a 10" round cake and stack a 6" round cake on top of that... You would bake two 10" round cakes, put a layer of filling in between and ice the two. Then you would do the same with the 6". To stack them you are going to need some kind of support. Some people use wooden dowels, some people use straws. You would cut what ever you choose to use as support so that it is at the level of (or just slightly below) the icing of your 10" tier. Sink them in (I'd say about 4 or 5 should do for a 6") and place you 6" (your 6" should be on a card board round) on top and decorate it how you choose. Is this what you were asking?

HTH ~Mindy

Bastian Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 9

I have done 2 two tiered cakes, both successful. I did a 2 layer 10 inch with a 2 layer 6 inch on top. My support was wooden dowell rods. However, I did not put cardboard underneath the 6 inch cake. Here is my question, when you stack say a 6 inch on top of a 10 inch, when you cut and remove the 6 inch, there is no icing on a 6 inch circular portion of the 10 inch. Does this make sense and how do I eliminate this problem? I was thinking putting wax paper underneath the 6 inch so that the icing from the 10inch won't stick to the bottom of the 6inch. Any ideas on this? Any advice is appreciative : )

Bastian

mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 9

Bastian,
First, you really need to have your cake on some kind of board, plate, foam board...Especially if you are putting a third tier. If you don't have something under the cake, there really isn't anything resting on your supports. You should remove the top tier before serving. There are several ways to keep the icing from sticking to the above cake. You can leave your supports slightly higher than the level of your icing, and use a border. You can use powdered sugar or cornstarch. Some people use shaved coconut or chocolate. You can also use a circle of wax paper. If you have a good crusting Buttercream and you have given it time to crust, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Bastian Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 9

Mindywith3boys

Thank you so much for the advice. I will definately use cardboard for the 4 tiered cake I'm making next week. I will also probably use wax paper or have the supports slightly higher than icing level. You've been a huge help. I have one boy(3yrs), I can't imagine having three of him. Thanks again : )

Bastian

mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 9

LOL! They're spaced out pretty well. 12, 7 1/2 and 3 1/2. But some days I'm amazed that I still have hair at the end of the day.

~Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%