Wooden Dowels?

Decorating By squeaky121603 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm by squeaky121603

squeaky121603  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 3

I have a question about tiered cakes. How do you place a wooden dowel down a 4 tiered cake? A 12" dowel is too short. I have Sharon Zambitos wonderful "Succesful Stacking" video and she uses a really large dowel that is long enough for the 4 tiered stacking. Does anyone know where to purchase these extra long dowels? icon_smile.gif

2 replies
 BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 3

I get my long hardwood dowels from the craft dept. at WalMart. I sharpen them in a pencil sharpener, wipe them down with bleach water, coat them with crisco, and pound them in.

I know of no source for long (over 12 inches) specifically foodsafe wooden dowels (and apparently neither do any of the instructors I've had over the years). I don't worry about it because of the crisco coating and the short time the dowel is inside the cake (usually less than 1hr.).

HTH
Rae

squeaky121603  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 3

Rae, thank you for your reply. I will certainly check this out the next time I shop Wal-Mart. I did get on the internet and found Caseys Wood Products and they said if I use their domestic dowels I should be good for cakes. But, you gotta consider freight. So, I will shop Wal-Mart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%