Wooden Dowels?

Decorating By squeaky121603 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm by squeaky121603

squeaky121603 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 3

I have a question about tiered cakes. How do you place a wooden dowel down a 4 tiered cake? A 12" dowel is too short. I have Sharon Zambitos wonderful "Succesful Stacking" video and she uses a really large dowel that is long enough for the 4 tiered stacking. Does anyone know where to purchase these extra long dowels? icon_smile.gif

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 3

I get my long hardwood dowels from the craft dept. at WalMart. I sharpen them in a pencil sharpener, wipe them down with bleach water, coat them with crisco, and pound them in.

I know of no source for long (over 12 inches) specifically foodsafe wooden dowels (and apparently neither do any of the instructors I've had over the years). I don't worry about it because of the crisco coating and the short time the dowel is inside the cake (usually less than 1hr.).

squeaky121603 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 3

Rae, thank you for your reply. I will certainly check this out the next time I shop Wal-Mart. I did get on the internet and found Caseys Wood Products and they said if I use their domestic dowels I should be good for cakes. But, you gotta consider freight. So, I will shop Wal-Mart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%