I'm New! Hi To Everyone!!

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm by mashmellow

SweetPea0613 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 25

Hello! My name is Susie...I'm new to cake decorating and these forums. I start classes at Michael's in a few weeks and I'm super excited!! I've made a few cakes on my own and I planned to be self taught, but I know it'll be better in the long run to learn techniques the right way. Take a look at my photos and let me know what you think (please be completely honest)

Well thanks for reading this and I look forward to my future in baking and decorating!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #2 of 25

Welcome Susie!! This is certainly a GREAT place to learn. It's addictive! You can literally lose track of time looking through pictures. You look up and hours have gone by. The "people" here (I used to say women, but we do have a few fellas)

I think your cakes look pretty good for beginning cakes. thumbs_up.gif I can't even remember what my first one looked like. icon_redface.gif I started doing mine for my kids birthday parties. We all have to start somewhere. And this is a great place to start!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Good luck and most of all have fun!

butterflywings Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:36am
post #3 of 25

first, welcome to your newest addictions. yes, that is plural: cake decorating and cake central! you'll find most everyone here is very friendly, extremely helpful and what has amazed me is the complete willingness of pro's (and seasoned amateurs) to share their tips, secrets and suggestions. everyone is AWESOME!

i took a look at your cakes, and for someone who hasn't taken classes they are very good. and even though they look to be melting (you mentioned the heat) your roses are good. two suggestions for that. 1) switch to an all crisco buttercream recipe and 2) make sure you are using a stiff consistency. other than that, you're off to a great start. you did really well putting fondant on a square cake, which is something i haven't tried yet. i'm mostly self taught, too. i have only taken course 1 so far, just so i could learn the wilton rose, which i still HATE - must be because i'm a lefty, i think my roses look like cabbages. LOL

anyway... again WELCOME!!!!

mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #4 of 25

Oops! I meant to say that the people are wonderful! icon_redface.gif They are always willing to lend a helping hand and offer support!

It just shows I can't even complete a thought! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #5 of 25

Hi! Welcome! You're going to love it here!!!!!

You did a great job covering the cakes with fondant. Looking at your buttercream I could tell you were in Texas icon_lol.gif I have the same problem in the summertime. You can try adding some meringue powder to the buttercream and using half crisco/ half real butter...seems to work better for me but it will still melt outdoors. One super easy solution is to make decorations out of marshmallow fondant and just leave the buttercream for the inside of the cake, at least until the weather cools down.

I've never taken any classes. I've thought about it but I never seem to have the free time and babysitter that I'd need. They sound like fun, though icon_biggrin.gif

butterflywings Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've never taken any classes. I've thought about it but I never seem to have the free time and babysitter that I'd need. They sound like fun, though icon_biggrin.gif

classes??? you don't need no stinkin' classes... seriously.. your cakes are awesome, i never would have known you didn't take classes...

and seriously, you both should give indydebi's buttercream recipe a try... it's all crisco (or hi-ratio) and it's AWESOME. i've been subbing almond for the vanilla and OH MY GOD that is the best bc i've ever tasted AND it's smooth and creamy AND debi claims it holds up outdoors in 100* weather (i haven't had a chance to put it to that test myself, but i believer her!)

JanH Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 25

Hi and Welcome to CC, SweetPea0613. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Happy Caking!

sadiepix Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #8 of 25

HI!
I am new too and am HOPELESSLY addicted! It is right on about losing hours looking at pics and reading old info posts...I have learned SO much in just a few days!

Your cakes look very nice! I can't do a darn thing with fondant so my hat is off to you!

Welcome!

SweetPea0613 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:45am
post #9 of 25

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words!!! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:47am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

classes??? you don't need no stinkin' classes... seriously.. your cakes are awesome, i never would have known you didn't take classes...

and seriously, you both should give indydebi's buttercream recipe a try... it's all crisco (or hi-ratio) and it's AWESOME. i've been subbing almond for the vanilla and OH MY GOD that is the best bc i've ever tasted AND it's smooth and creamy AND debi claims it holds up outdoors in 100* weather (i haven't had a chance to put it to that test myself, but i believer her!)

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif I will have to try the recipe. I'm still using the basic wilton one...have been for 10+ years icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

cdavis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #11 of 25

Hi Susie,
Welcome to CC. I'm sure you'll learn alot and get some great ideas. The people on this site can be very helpful. Your cakes are nice, especially for a newbie. I'm in Texas too, my buttercream recipe works great, even in the heat. Let me know if I can do anything for you and happy caking. icon_smile.gif

Launa Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #12 of 25

Welcome to our family!! I'm right there with you when it comes to the heat of Texas! It can have it's challenges! I use the buttercream dream recipe on this site and it works really well for me...plus it tastes yummy!!!

mom2leelee Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #13 of 25

HI from one newbie to another.

Just like the others said you will soon be addicted! Your cakes are great! I start course 1 in July so I'll be learning right along with you.

pamconn Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #14 of 25

Hi Susie, welcome. Plan on spending a lot of time here! If that's with no classes-your cakes are really going to look awsome once you've taken a few classes

psanders76 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #15 of 25

Welcome to CC Susie. Your cakes look great.

Wiltonlady Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:44am
post #16 of 25

Hi Susie and welcome to CC.

dcabrera Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #17 of 25

Hi Susie! I'm new too. I also started the wilton class course 1 a couple weeks ago. I'm addicted too, but wow your cakes look so good! Are you using the wilton buttercream recipe? I found it to be way too sweet and grainy. Maybe I'm not mixing it long enough I don't know.

ladyellam Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 25

Hi Susie--Welcome to Cake Central. It is totally addictive and totally worth it. The people here are wonderful and eager to help anyone out. Just ask and we will come running to help.

Kathy

CakeWhizz Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 25

Hi Susie! Welcome to CC. It really is one of the loveliest forums ever and the people here are AMAZING!!!. A few of my favourite people are Sugarshack (for her fantastic DVDs which are a must), JanH (because she knows EVERYTHING about cake decorating and she is superhelpful), Indydebi (for her wisdom and humour), Tonedna (for her amazing work and generosity) and Thanh Thanh (her piped work has to be seen to be believed).
Also, some of the stories and threads will make you laugh and cry in equal measure. So enjoy and I look forward to seeing your photos in the nearest future.

Meloda Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 25

Welcome to CC!!!! Boy are you in trouble, you will be addicted in no time at all to CC. Time flies when you get on here. Everyone is very friendly, funny and helpful. Good luck with your class @ Michaels and have fun.

Again, welcome to the family icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
\\Melanie

decoratingfool Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:59pm
post #21 of 25

Hi there,
Well you will be addicted to this site, im new here also and i spend most of my day on here looking for new ideas and recipes, AND i keep making cakes to decorate just to see if i can do some of the techiques i read about... My family thinks im crazy but like i told them i could have other addictions, and they agreed.... Have fun on here and good luck on your classes, im startig all over again with my 12 year old daughter i figure for me it will just sharpen my skils...
Happy baking, Shari

rlviescas Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:22pm
post #22 of 25

Hi Susie! I am a newbie too! I have to say I love this site and am totally addicated. The knowledge base here is completely amazing. I have found so many answers on CC and I love it! Everyone has been so helpful and friendly and just can't say enough good things about it! thumbs_up.gif

Superstar2 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 25

Hi Susie,

Welcome. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. It's true all of it, the addiction to this site and anything to do with cake/ cake decorating. I never took a lesson in my life, I'm self taught and thanks to my CC family I have improved over the last year. Happy baking/ decorating. Can't wait to see more of your cakes.

superstar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #24 of 25

Wecome Susie & all the other newbies, CC is a wonderful site, it is my extended family. I have never had lessons. I would dearly love to do a workshop or take classes from some of the GREATS like Nick Lodge, Aine2, Alan Dunn & some others, but don't think I will ever have enough money to do that so I just keep bumbling along. This site has something for everyone whether you are a professional or just do cakes for fun. I think your cakes look good & you will go ahead in leaps & bounds.

mashmellow Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #25 of 25

Hi welcome, I am from El Paso, you'll learn a lot here, I am new to in cake decorating, CC is the best place to leran, you'll see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%